What to use on plane?

stephie1012

In May, we are flying to disney. We are using all disney transportation. The baby will be riding in her snug ride on the plane, the 6 and 8yr olds will be using the plane seatbelt. My question is for the 3.5yr old. Should I use a car seat, cares harness or nothing? She's 41.5" and 43lbs right now. She's very mature for her age and listens to directions well. What would you take?

ADS

T4K

Around 2.5 hours, direct flight from Nj to Orlando.

I think I'd probably skip the seat then as long as my child can sit in an adult chair comfortably.

My kid just turned 3 and won't sit in an adult sized chair without being a wiggly mess. She's otherwise an amazing laid back kid. I think she's just uncomfortable.

1mommy

For a very mature 3.5 year old I would just go for the plane seat, unless you plan on doing more flying in the future and or plan on having a little sibling to pass it down to...

MomToEliEm

If it were me for a child that size, I probably would just skip the carseat on the plane if I didn't need a seat at the destination.

bubbaray

I would (& have) used just the plane lap belt for a child even younger than that. I am entirely comfortable gate checking my seats.

disbugsmomma

Are you taking the Magical Express to the hotel? If so, I probably wouldn't bring anything as long as you think she'll be comfortable and behave.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
You know your child best. If it were MY 3.5 year old, I would take her car seat. I already know that the moment she figures out how to unhook the plane's seat belt, all bets are off trying to keep her in her seat with the belt on.

But I have a particularly wild and strong-willed child.

We will likely be flying next month with her, and although our situation is a little different because we will need the car seat at the destination anyway, I wouldn't even *consider* trying to keep her in her seat for an hour and a half (length of the flight) without a car seat.

Your kid, however, may not be like mine. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC