Avenue RF or FF on Airplane?

S&JsMom

I will be flying with my almost 20 month old son (probably around 25lbs) soon. I have a Safety First Avenue that I just use for traveling, but the last time I used it was when my older child was in it. When we reach our destination we will install the seat in our rental car RF and I will bring a foam positioner because I remember that it had a tricky RF installation.

What is the best way to install this seat on an airplane? Will it be easier to install FF for the flight? This is my first flight with this guy and he is an antsy one...will RF mean that it is easier to keep track of toys or do I go FF so that he can share a screen with one of his siblings? So, looking for safety advice, car seat advice, and travel advice. Thanks.

ADS

aeormsby

I always felt fine installing the seat FF on the plane once they were over 18 months (even though the RF'd in the car until after age 3).

We had an Uptown for travel which is the older version of the Avenue. It installed well both RF and FF on the plane. I'd just install it the way you think will be more convenient for entertaining him during the flight. I don't think we were able to use the tray table with the seat FF on any flights - it was close but not quite. How many of you are flying? Any other carseats that you will be installing on the plane? Just wondering if you will be sitting next to him or an older sibling. My kids were screen zombies so if they're able to watch a movie (and so cool that you can leave them on during take off/landing now!!) they didn't make a peep the entire flight.

Olga

My DD was a little over 2.5 y.o. when we last flew and she is used to always being RF. We put her seat FF on the flight there and it was a disaster - she kept kicking the seat in front of her, wouldn't nap even though it was her normal nap time. On the flight home we put her RF and it worked MUCH better! We all had a more peaceful flight. She did look at the screen in front of her a little but it didn't last long and all the misbehaviours weren't worth it. I expect if she was more used to being FF she would have done better though.

S&JsMom

So, it sounds like safety wise, we can probably do either FF or RF with the Avenue on the flight.

I am traveling with my husband (car seat installer extraordinaire), and our four kids. We have never flown as a family of 6, but I am guessing that we would put one parent with two kids. We will not be installing any other car seats as the older kids are 6, 10 and 13. Likely, the 6 and 10 year old will be next to my husband (who is also motion sick expert for our 10 year old), and that I would be with DD and the little guy. No chance that they would be sharing a screen.

Any other tips/suggestions are appreciated.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC