Mazda5 Booster and Convertble Questions

U

Unregistered

I've been searching through the forum to try to find recommendations for a new convertible seat for my baby, but it's also lead me to questions about my older son in his booster. And I thought we at least had the older two figured out last year! This is soooo frustrating. Anyway, my questions are:

1) We have a 2012 Mazda5. Currently, my two older boys are sitting in the third row. My four-year-old is in a Frontier XT. He's short and stout, about 38" and 35 lbs. My six-year-old is about 48" and 44 lbs. (I think) and in a Parkway SGL. They both seem to fit fine in these seats, which were bought last April when we got the car, but now I'm reading that the Parkway is not a good option for the 3rd row! I'd prefer to keep them both back there so I can sit in the second row with the baby, so what are my options?

3) The baby is big and quickly outgrowing her bucket seat. She's about 18lbs. at 4.5 months old. I'm not sure of her length at the moment, but she was in th 50th percentile for that before. Weight is off the charts. I also really loathe this partcular seat she's in now (Maxi-Cosi Mico with a two-part buckle that drives us insane), so I'm wanting to move her into a convertible soon. I prefer to keep her in the middle row (though now I'm not sure we'll be able to) and was going to go with another Britax seat. However, reading the list of recommended seats on here, it says Britax have the shortest shells plus they're so expensive. I started looking into the MyRide and SecureRide. Reading threads on here, though, the Britax and other more expensive seats are always recommended first. I also see the Safety 1st Guide 65 on the list, but there's a comment that the Complete Air was removed. Why is that? I looked the Safety 1st seats up and the Complete Airs (there are two) seem to just have more bells and whistles, much like the Britax seats. Is there something I'm missing? In the end, what seat would be best for her size and the car?

Thank you for any help you can give me. I'm totally overwhelmed, confused and annoyed right now.

ADS

Alison's Mom

Hi there, someone with more experience with the Mazda 5 will pipe in, hopefully, but wanted to ask / mention a couple of things.

What is the issue with the Parkway in the back row that you read about? Are you finding it to be a problem?

Regarding Britax convertibles, the new G4 2014 models REQUIRE you to do rearfacing tethering, whereas it was optional in previous models. Since vehicle manufactures have not approved 'swedish style' tethering, where the tether goes behind the seat to the floor, the only other option is 'aussie style' tethering, where the tether strap goes in front of the carseat towards the back of the vehicle to attach to the forward facing tether anchor. See the 4th photo from the top (with the little boy in the black carseat) in this article: http://vicarseattechs.com/2013/rear-facing-technical-details/ This can make it difficult to get a defiant or sleeping toddler/preschooler in and out of the seat. Some people have this set-up and don't have a problem with it, but it's something to think about.

Not sure if you've seen this list: http://vicarseattechs.com/our-favourite-seats/infantchild-seats/ but many price points are represented, including the MyRide that you are considering.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the response!

To answer your questions, the issue with the booster is related to the fact that the seatbelts in the back row of the Mazda5 are pretty far ahead, so as a regular seatbelt, it sits away from the shoulder and chest. I thought getting a HBB with a shoulder belt guide would solve this issue, but apparently the seatbelt can get caught and not retract properly when they lean forward or otherwise move and loosen it. I haven't really noticed that, but I also haven't been looking for it, if you know what I mean. Of course, now I'm concerned. I want to keep my kid safe. It's especially frustrating because he was previously in a Radian seat and I wante dot keep him in it and harnessed as long as he fit, but that was also a problem with the back row of this car (can't get a tight enough install), so this is why I bought the Parkway in the first place!

Okay, onto the second question: Yes, I did see that the new G4 Britax seats require tethering when rearfacing. An interesting choice by Britax. For that reason, I'd get a G3 model if I went with Britax. Also because they're on sale.

I have seen that list of seats. The thing is, though, that whenever people ask for specific recommendations, the more expensive seats are the ones everyone tells them to get. So, what's the best one? Are the cheaper ones okay? I don't really have an extra $300 right now, so I like the idea of the less expensive ones, but I also want what fits best in my vehicle and will last us well, given her size and so on. That's why I asked for specific recommendations, I guess.

Thanks for your input! I think I'll just have to figure it out on my own.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I know a member has a Mazda 5 with a booster in the 3rd row and I think she uses an Evenflo AMP and it works quite nicely. It does not have lower anchors though, so you'd have to teach your child to buckle it when it's empty so it's not a projectile.

Often the seats that are recommended for bigger kids tend to be the more expensive ones as they tend to have the higher specs. It's unfortunate that in Canada we have fewer options, and pay more for the privilege. The Safety 1st Complete Air was removed from the list because it takes up quite a lot of room front-to-back even on the more upright allowable angle, and there have recently been quite a few other seats added that are more compatible with more vehicles with regards to space. It has some good things going for it (relatively narrow, nice tall harness once forward-facing), but the gigantic size of it plus the 36" height limit for rear-facing kind of negates those positives in the big picture.

A frequently suggested lower cost seat is the MyRide, often on sale for around $160, and I really like it. The SureRide, and just this week the Titan 65 at Walmart for $99 (they're the same seat) are other less expensive options. None of those will last as long as the much higher priced Foonf or Radian though. Depending on your child's growth curve and proportions they might be perfectly adequate though!

If you were wanting a G3 they are becoming quite scarce; don't delay if that's the route you want to go.

Used correctly and assuming it installs well in your vehicle, we don't know that any particular seat is safer than another. They all pass the same testing and beyond that it comes down to convenience features (and marketing). Quite possibly in some types of crashes the $99 seat will perform better than the $300+ seat, but in other types the reverse could be true. We just don't know...and also, you don't drive a test sled, which is how the tests are done.

Have you tried installing any seats in your car to know what you like the fit of?

Alison's Mom

Thanks for the response!

To answer your questions, the issue with the booster is related to the fact that the seatbelts in the back row of the Mazda5 are pretty far ahead, so as a regular seatbelt, it sits away from the shoulder and chest. I thought getting a HBB with a shoulder belt guide would solve this issue, but apparently the seatbelt can get caught and not retract properly when they lean forward or otherwise move and loosen it. I haven't really noticed that, but I also haven't been looking for it, if you know what I mean. Of course, now I'm concerned. I want to keep my kid safe. It's especially frustrating because he was previously in a Radian seat and I wante dot keep him in it and harnessed as long as he fit, but that was also a problem with the back row of this car (can't get a tight enough install), so this is why I bought the Parkway in the first place!

Okay, onto the second question: Yes, I did see that the new G4 Britax seats require tethering when rearfacing. An interesting choice by Britax. For that reason, I'd get a G3 model if I went with Britax. Also because they're on sale.

I have seen that list of seats. The thing is, though, that whenever people ask for specific recommendations, the more expensive seats are the ones everyone tells them to get. So, what's the best one? Are the cheaper ones okay? I don't really have an extra $300 right now, so I like the idea of the less expensive ones, but I also want what fits best in my vehicle and will last us well, given her size and so on. That's why I asked for specific recommendations, I guess.

Thanks for your input! I think I'll just have to figure it out on my own.
Thanks for the extra info. Jen has some good suggestions for you! Britax G3 would be a good one to try along with the MyRide. The Britax does have a shorter shell than Radian, Foonf, Sureride, Truefit etc, but it is very easy to install in most vehicles, whereas the Radian sometimes is not, for instance. The Britax is good rearfacing to 40 pounds - maybe take a look at your daughter's growth curve and see when she'll reach this weight (as you mentioned she is higher weight and only medium height).

The Sureride has only the lowest three harness slots available for Rearfacing, so longer-torso'ed / taller children who still fit within its weight limit often will have shoulders way above, which is allowed, but sometimes not idea depending on how much above their shoulders are. It does have very high slots / shell for forward facing down the road though.

I think I would try the Britax G3 and Myride in the vehicle, and see which you like best.

amyd

I am the member Jen is referring to and yes, I use an Evenflo AMP in my third row (I have a 2010). We also have a Parkway and have used it there occasionally but it does not allow the shoulder belt to retract well if the child leans forward. The only other booster I've found to work well in that spot is the Graco Nautilus in booster mode. I also have a Frontier CT in my third row and the baby is in an infant seat in the second row. I've used a Radian RFing in the second row in the past, as well as a My Ride. I'm planning to move DD into a Peg convertible once she outgrows the infant seat.

U

Unregistered

I know a member has a Mazda 5 with a booster in the 3rd row and I think she uses an Evenflo AMP and it works quite nicely. It does not have lower anchors though, so you'd have to teach your child to buckle it when it's empty so it's not a projectile.

Often the seats that are recommended for bigger kids tend to be the more expensive ones as they tend to have the higher specs. It's unfortunate that in Canada we have fewer options, and pay more for the privilege. The Safety 1st Complete Air was removed from the list because it takes up quite a lot of room front-to-back even on the more upright allowable angle, and there have recently been quite a few other seats added that are more compatible with more vehicles with regards to space. It has some good things going for it (relatively narrow, nice tall harness once forward-facing), but the gigantic size of it plus the 36" height limit for rear-facing kind of negates those positives in the big picture.

A frequently suggested lower cost seat is the MyRide, often on sale for around $160, and I really like it. The SureRide, and just this week the Titan 65 at Walmart for $99 (they're the same seat) are other less expensive options. None of those will last as long as the much higher priced Foonf or Radian though. Depending on your child's growth curve and proportions they might be perfectly adequate though!

If you were wanting a G3 they are becoming quite scarce; don't delay if that's the route you want to go.

Used correctly and assuming it installs well in your vehicle, we don't know that any particular seat is safer than another. They all pass the same testing and beyond that it comes down to convenience features (and marketing). Quite possibly in some types of crashes the $99 seat will perform better than the $300+ seat, but in other types the reverse could be true. We just don't know...and also, you don't drive a test sled, which is how the tests are done.

Have you tried installing any seats in your car to know what you like the fit of?

Thank you! This is very useful information. :) I appreciate the answer about why the Complete Airs aren't on the list. Maybe a list of NOT recommended seats and WHY would be something you'd consider adding? It would be very useful!

Also useful to hear the reasons why the more expensive seats are recommended first.

We've had Evenflo Triumphs before and I was pretty pleased with the seat overall. We had a pretty bad accident (rolled three times, landed upside in the ditch beside the highway, car totalled) and my son had not a scratch on him in that seat. Very, very pleased with the safety of it. So I will definitely consider the SureRide, and also the MyRide. I think at this point, going to Babies R Us and trying some in the car is the way to go. That was going to be my next step after getting some advice to narrow things down. So, thank you!

Thanks for the extra info. Jen has some good suggestions for you! Britax G3 would be a good one to try along with the MyRide. The Britax does have a shorter shell than Radian, Foonf, Sureride, Truefit etc, but it is very easy to install in most vehicles, whereas the Radian sometimes is not, for instance. The Britax is good rearfacing to 40 pounds - maybe take a look at your daughter's growth curve and see when she'll reach this weight (as you mentioned she is higher weight and only medium height).

The Sureride has only the lowest three harness slots available for Rearfacing, so longer-torso'ed / taller children who still fit within its weight limit often will have shoulders way above, which is allowed, but sometimes not idea depending on how much above their shoulders are. It does have very high slots / shell for forward facing down the road though.

I think I would try the Britax G3 and Myride in the vehicle, and see which you like best.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll stick to the cheaper ones for now. I feel I fell into the "Britax Trap" last year, paying $500 for seats that aren't really that great in the end. I'm going to try my luck with the cheaper options.

I am the member Jen is referring to and yes, I use an Evenflo AMP in my third row (I have a 2010). We also have a Parkway and have used it there occasionally but it does not allow the shoulder belt to retract well if the child leans forward. The only other booster I've found to work well in that spot is the Graco Nautilus in booster mode. I also have a Frontier CT in my third row and the baby is in an infant seat in the second row. I've used a Radian RFing in the second row in the past, as well as a My Ride. I'm planning to move DD into a Peg convertible once she outgrows the infant seat.

See, this is my frustration! I researched SO MUCH before buying the seats last year! I thought I was doing well getting the Parkway. It was between that and the Diono Monteray for me. I thought the high recommendations and extra features were worth it. In the end, I should have saved myself a bunch of money and bought an Evenflo. Bah! I'm also not that happy with the Frontier we got for my other son: the straps are always twisting and the seat cover will not stay on. Very annoying.

I'm still not sure what to do with the booster. Maybe I could try to sell it, but I don't like doing that since people should not be buying used seats. But we would need some money back to get him another one, and I'd hate to just throw it away. Ugh. Havign BEEN in a bad car accident (as well as a more minor one), safety in the car is of utmost importance to me.

Anyway… not to vent on you. Thank you for your input. I'm just very annoyed with this whole process. LOL!

Pixelated

Thank you! This is very useful information. :) I appreciate the answer about why the Complete Airs aren't on the list. Maybe a list of NOT recommended seats and WHY would be something you'd consider adding? It would be very useful!

I'm reluctant to do this, although at times it might be handy, because it would give the (inaccurate) impression that a seat on that list is not safe, which is of course not true. For some people the Complete Air, and others not on the list, could be just the perfect seat if it suits them.

For example someone with lots of front-to-back space, not needing it for a newborn, and switching between multiple kids who aren't super tall (it has a no-rethread harness allowing adjustment on the fly) it could be the ideal seat. Any list of top picks generally needs to include seats that have good value, decent longevity, and low incompatibility.

So the short version of this story :) is that I'm much more comfortable steering a person toward what might work best for them knowing their needs and situation, rather than black-listing any particular seat.

Good luck in your hunt!

If you do decide to sell a seat please go over this checklist to make sure it's a safe used seat. I wouldn't generally advocate for someone to buy a used seat, however, Kijiji and the like are full of used seats, many of which probably aren't safe. Since there will always be people who will buy a used seat no matter what I say, I would (and have) sold a safe used seat, and been glad that the kid is in that one and not something else that has been compromised.

U

Unregistered

I'm reluctant to do this, although at times it might be handy, because it would give the (inaccurate) impression that a seat on that list is not safe, which is of course not true. For some people the Complete Air, and others not on the list, could be just the perfect seat if it suits them.

For example someone with lots of front-to-back space, not needing it for a newborn, and switching between multiple kids who aren't super tall (it has a no-rethread harness allowing adjustment on the fly) it could be the ideal seat. Any list of top picks generally needs to include seats that have good value, decent longevity, and low incompatibility.

So the short version of this story :) is that I'm much more comfortable steering a person toward what might work best for them knowing their needs and situation, rather than black-listing any particular seat.

Good luck in your hunt!

If you do decide to sell a seat please go over this checklist to make sure it's a safe used seat. I wouldn't generally advocate for someone to buy a used seat, however, Kijiji and the like are full of used seats, many of which probably aren't safe. Since there will always be people who will buy a used seat no matter what I say, I would (and have) sold a safe used seat, and been glad that the kid is in that one and not something else that has been compromised.

Maybe include ALL car seats available on your list then, with pros and cons? Just a thought. (It would need a new title, I realize.)

I read the list and have another question: What's the issue with checking car seats on planes? What else are you supposed to do with them (if it's a baby without a seat of her/his own, or the seat does not comply with airline regualtions to be used on the plane itself)?

Pixelated

Maybe include ALL car seats available on your list then, with pros and cons? Just a thought. (It would need a new title, I realize.)

I'm not sure I could keep up with that - there are so many seats out there!

I read the list and have another question: What's the issue with checking car seats on planes? What else are you supposed to do with them (if it's a baby without a seat of her/his own, or the seat does not comply with airline regualtions to be used on the plane itself)?

The issue with checking a seat is you have no idea how it's been treated when out of your sight and control. It now has an unknown history, and you might catch obvious damage but what about the stuff you can't see? Too much risk for a life-saving device for me.

When flying it's recommended to purchase a seat for a child, bring the child's seat on the plane, and harness them in it. Safer for the baby, safer for the seat, and safer for everyone else on the plane as your child is then not a projectile in the cabin in case of a hard landing, turbulence, or aborted take-off.

U

Unregistered

I'm not sure I could keep up with that - there are so many seats out there!

The issue with checking a seat is you have no idea how it's been treated when out of your sight and control. It now has an unknown history, and you might catch obvious damage but what about the stuff you can't see? Too much risk for a life-saving device for me.

When flying it's recommended to purchase a seat for a child, bring the child's seat on the plane, and harness them in it. Safer for the baby, safer for the seat, and safer for everyone else on the plane as your child is then not a projectile in the cabin in case of a hard landing, turbulence, or aborted take-off.

Well, for that matter, you don't know how your seat was treated when it was shipped to the store, or handled in the store, or if you have it shipped to your house. How much protection does a box make?

I guess, to me, I'd just drive myself mad with all the "what ifs".

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. We'll figure it out eventually.

Pixelated

Well, for that matter, you don't know how your seat was treated when it was shipped to the store, or handled in the store, or if you have it shipped to your house. How much protection does a box make?

I guess, to me, I'd just drive myself mad with all the "what ifs".

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. We'll figure it out eventually.

A box can provide significant protection actually, and has been packed in a way that the seat manufacturer deems sufficient to protect their product en route to the consumer. Tossing your seat onto the 1km+ of internal conveyor belts within a large airport, jostled around with suitcases and whatnot, and having it slam down onto the luggage carousel unprotected isn't a risk I'm willing to take with the piece of equipment that protects my kids in the most dangerous place they are everyday: the car.

I don't consider a checked seat to be crashed - the handling and forces are much different. I do consider it to have an unknown history though, which we advise against.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC