seat buckle positioner for booster? (or narrow booster)

dingodog

In 7.5 years of using car seats, this is a new one for me.

This weekend I converted my Britax Frontier from harness to booster for my DS in my wife's car. I performed the same conversion in my Subaru Impreza about a month ago for him as well - with no problem. He's been able to buckle himself in my car without too much trouble.

In my wife's '10 Forester things are different. Same car manufacture, two model years apart, same car seat model, new problems. He can't buckle himself and it's excruciatingly difficult for me or my wife to buckle him.

It seems that in the '10 Forester, the seat belt tongue is angled toward the seat bottom. Also, the buckle is secured to the car very low into the seat - it's not sticking up and doesn't have much freedom of motion. Add these two geometries to the Frontier's side coming very close to the seat buckle itself and it's an extreme challenge to buckle the seat belt.

Has anyone experience this or something similar? Are there any good solutions or better fitting high back boosters?

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Hi, and welcome to CSO! Yes, that is a very frustrating issue. Many people have that problem, or the problem with a floppy buckle. Either way, it's hard for kids.

This thread shows a solution to the floppy buckle issue, but I think it could maybe be adjusted to help the buckle in your wife's car stay as upright as it can be and away from the seat base.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=237761&highlight=buckle+biter

YinzerMama

I just put a recaro booster in my husband's car - it is a very wide booster. And it is very hard to buckle due to a stubby little buckle that gets buried easily. We used to have a turbobooster in there (graco) which we never had much issue with. I'm assuming the width of the frontier could be the problem? I'm going to try out an affix and see if it is any better.

dingodog

The story has a happy ending.

Last night I had more time to look into the problem. The buckle sits a seat level. So I pulled it out to it's maximum extension, which was only another 2" forward. Due to the shape of the buckle housing and how short it extends, using the noodle to prop it up wasn't really a solution - but it was a good starting point. I was able to use a piece of noodle to wedge between the buckle and the edge of the booster seat to hold it as far leftward as possible.

This gave my son enough clearance to buckle himself! (my wife just called to say everything worked out)

It's interesting how you don't realize this stuff until years after purchasing the car - especially when car seat fit (RF at that time) was a huge consideration for car choice.

tiggercat

The story has a happy ending.

Last night I had more time to look into the problem. The buckle sits a seat level. So I pulled it out to it's maximum extension, which was only another 2" forward. Due to the shape of the buckle housing and how short it extends, using the noodle to prop it up wasn't really a solution - but it was a good starting point. I was able to use a piece of noodle to wedge between the buckle and the edge of the booster seat to hold it as far leftward as possible.

This gave my son enough clearance to buckle himself! (my wife just called to say everything worked out)

It's interesting how you don't realize this stuff until years after purchasing the car - especially when car seat fit (RF at that time) was a huge consideration for car choice.

Any chance we could see a picture of the set up?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC