Question If you could pick any infant seat...

kmw

Space not an issue (minivan captains chairs)...

Babies will be early (yes, babies... two of them!)... our first was small at birth and still is, for reference, has remained 5th centile for height and 25th centile for weight.

What would you choose and why?

ADS

canadiangie

Since you're buying the stroller after seats I would probably stick with Graco. Just about every stroller manufacturer offers a Graco adapter kit or allows for a Graco to be attached.

I really like the $149 price point of the SR30 found at Walmart.

kmw

The KF would lose out because of that pesky 22lb limit for me when against an SR30 ;)

I'm kinda surprised no one suggested the SR35!

canadiangie

The KF would lose out because of that pesky 22lb limit for me when against an SR30 ;)

My mind go straight to cost when prepping for twins. You can sometimes find the SR35 on sale for $150, but not very often. The SR30 for $150 is always available at Walmart, and it's a great seat for babies who might be smaller. That's why it's kind of my go-to seat for multiples. I'm not sure I see a huge advantage to a KF30 for $229 over a SR30 for $149. An $80 difference x2 is a significant chunk of cash. :)

Edit- I reference the KF30 because apparently it's coming here. And I'm guessing on the $229 when it does. It could be $249, who knows.

kmw

On another thread someone said it's in the Sears catalogue...for $269 :(

That was me actually ;) The KF30 is in the Sears catalogue for $269... the KF22 is ~$230-260 depending on features though.

I totally get what you are saying about total cost factor with twins but the SR30 is really narrow so likely outgrown sooner simply because of shoulder comfort... so the SR35 would maybe be a better deal given time of use... even when babies are too big to lug around - leave in car.

Oh, if only money was no object! The KF30 would be lovely!

amelia222

It all depends on the shape of your kids. For my DD she outgrew all infant seats by height before she was 22lbs.

The only thing I like about the SR35 is the lockoff on the base. Other than that, it's heavier, costs more, and is just all around bigger/bulkier than other infant seats.

canadiangie

That was me actually ;) The KF30 is in the Sears catalogue for $269... the KF22 is ~$230-260 depending on features though.

I totally get what you are saying about total cost factor with twins but the SR30 is really narrow so likely outgrown sooner simply because of shoulder comfort... so the SR35 would maybe be a better deal given time of use... even when babies are too big to lug around - leave in car.

Oh, if only money was no object! The KF30 would be lovely!

Do you think the babies will go ff after their potential SR35's? If you are ok leaving their seats docked on the base, essentially using them like convertible seats, then you may as well spend less on their infant seats, and just switch to convertibles whenever is needed. Unless you think the babies will go from say a SR35 to a Nautilus, or something.

$229 x 2 for SR35 and use until 18 mos, with follow- up convertibles for say, $200 each.

Or

$159 x 2 for SR30 and use until 10-12 months, with follow-up convertibles for say $200 each.

I think no matter which way you slice it the SR35's cost more, because I'm guessing you aren't going to ff the babies after the infant seat. Like having the 35's isn't going to allow you to skip a step.

Does that make sense? (It's been a long day, so it's possible I'm making no sense).

But maybe the option to lug them around as-needed or dock their seats on a stroller for as long as possible is appealing. I wouldn't know.. never had twins. :)

Either way, you're going to end up with a preemie friendly seat, so I feel like you can't go wrong.

kmw

You are totally right Angie :) I won't be FFing them after the bucket - no chance! My daughter is still RFing now at 3 yrs 3 months.

I make little babies even when full term so very unlikely that either of the babies would outgrow a seat by height before the age of 1. I did put DD into her BLVD at 8 months but it was more because I wasn't using the bucket out of the car at all and I thought she might like a little more room - if I look at her growth records, she would have been fine in her Mico until 16-ish months and she would have outgrown by height/weight right around the same time (22lbs/29").

I think SR30 is gonna win out unless that KF30 has a sale I can't pass up ;) The hubby has a love for the Minnie Mouse pattern so fingers crossed at least one bubba is a girl LOL!

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
There was a brief few days where the KeyFit was $121 on Amazon.ca but it was freakish. Although you never know, maybe with the 30 coming the 22s will be discontinued and cleared out.

kmw

That would be awesome!

I did notice that TJs has all of their KF22s on sale already... hmm... maybe they will keep dropping!

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My mind go straight to cost when prepping for twins. You can sometimes find the SR35 on sale for $150, but not very often. The SR30 for $150 is always available at Walmart, and it's a great seat for babies who might be smaller. That's why it's kind of my go-to seat for multiples.

Angie I had thought this too --good fit on wee ones -- but don't see many preemies or multiples. How is the actual fit of a real baby in the SR30, versus the Huggable Images preemie as Kecia discusses here? http://carseatblog.com/9256/graco-snugride-30-review-the-snugride-infant-seat-for-smaller-babies/

canadiangie

Angie I had thought this too --good fit on wee ones -- but don't see many preemies or multiples. How is the actual fit of a real baby in the SR30, versus the Huggable Images preemie as Kecia discusses here? http://carseatblog.com/9256/graco-snugride-30-review-the-snugride-infant-seat-for-smaller-babies/

Generally it's good, but here's the thing about preemies. You know how toddlers are shaped differently and that affects fit? You can apply that same logic on a 3 pounder. The crotch strap is sometime a little long, but I'm not sure the KF, for example, is any different on a baby that is shaped in a way that a crotch strap is going to present as being too long. I'm a stickler for low bottom slots, and a harness that can size down small enough. After that its not something I'm going to comment on with parents and worry them. I'm not even sure there would be anything to worry about in a collision provided the baby's shoulders meet the bottom slots and the harness is otherwise snug. Overall harness geometry is of course going to be different baby to baby, but I think that's ok.

I do see a lot of multiples, some quite small, with families who need me to help get their babies home safely. I try to keep things in perspective. Babies grow fast, and multiples tend to stay home for a bit once they get there.

I'm always happy to see SR30's, SR35's, and KF's. Each is a little different, but all fit preemies well enough that I do not over analyze. I also see a lot of Pegs and that's when I get a little twitchy. ;)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Generally it's good, but here's the thing about preemies. You know how toddlers are shaped differently and that affects fit? You can apply that same logic on a 3 pounder. The crotch strap is sometime a little long, but I'm not sure the KF, for example, is any different on a baby that is shaped in a way that a crotch strap is going to present as being too long. I'm a stickler for low bottom slots, and a harness that can size down small enough. After that its not something I'm going to comment on with parents and worry them. I'm not even sure there would be anything to worry about in a collision provided the baby's shoulders meet the bottom slots and the harness is otherwise snug. Overall harness geometry is of course going to be different baby to baby, but I think that's ok.

I do see a lot of multiples, some quite small, with families who need me to help get their babies home safely. I try to keep things in perspective. Babies grow fast, and multiples tend to stay home for a bit once they get there.

I'm always happy to see SR30's, SR35's, and KF's. Each is a little different, but all fit preemies well enough that I do not over analyze. I also see a lot of Pegs and that's when I get a little twitchy. ;)

I do agree about the belt geometry being different on preemies, and that's not usually a problem, but I have seen the snugride 30 not fit a baby that was just hovering at the 4# mark, and not quite 17 inches long. His shoulders were so far below the slots that there literally wasn't enough room for the buckle and the chest clip to fit on his body.

canadiangie

I do agree about the belt geometry being different on preemies, and that's not usually a problem, but I have seen the snugride 30 not fit a baby that was just hovering at the 4# mark, and not quite 17 inches long. His shoulders were so far below the slots that there literally wasn't enough room for the buckle and the chest clip to fit on his body.

That seems possible. On the flipside, I put 4 pound triplets into SR30's a while back and two of three had great fits. Mere ounces, or possibly a slightly different body shape meant one baby had an ok fit. I did not stand there and examine the baby as to why. She went home safely - I had no concerns.

I am not about to declare the SR30 a 'bad seat' for preemies, that's for sure. It is a seat that can be purchased at a mainstream store for around $150 in Canada. And, since it's from wal-mart it can be returned if the fit is that bad. It actually stands out to me as a great seat choice in Canada. It's inexpensive, rated from 4 pounds, and can be returned. That doesn't happen too often up here. It's all about perspective...

I see babies in KF's with ok fit, too. But the KF seems to be universally accepted as a great preemie seat. The other day I saw a 7 pounder in a KF and the fit was.. ok. Not great, but she was safe. Met all the minimums..

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
That seems possible. On the flipside, I put 4 pound triplets into SR30's a while back and two of three had great fits. Mere ounces, or possibly a slightly different body shape meant one baby had an ok fit. I did not stand there and examine the baby as to why. She went home safely - I had no concerns.

I am not about to declare the SR30 a 'bad seat' for preemies, that's for sure. It is a seat that can be purchased at a mainstream store for around $150 in Canada. And, since it's from wal-mart it can be returned if the fit is that bad. It actually stands out to me as a great seat choice in Canada. It's inexpensive, rated from 4 pounds, and can be returned. That doesn't happen too often up here. It's all about perspective...

I see babies in KF's with ok fit, too. But the KF seems to be universally accepted as a great preemie seat. The other day I saw a 7 pounder in a KF and the fit was.. ok. Not great, but she was safe. Met all the minimums..

Oh, I agree with all that. I was just mentioning what would be bad fit on a real child since the OP asked.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC