What would you do in a lesson for grandparents?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Imagine for a moment that a set of parents has come to you to ask you to work with the grandparents of their baby -- who are also part-time caregivers to the baby. The grandparents have struggled with using the infant seat (both installation and securing the child snugly) so the parents want to make sure they get all the right info when they start using the newly-purchased convertible.

What would you be sure to cover in the lesson and what would you maybe leave out in order to not overwhelm them? Should parents be in charge of monitoring and adjusting the harness, when to take out the inserts, etc or should the grandparents be taught all that? Assume that grandparents would need to be able to install/uninstall the seat from time to time.

Any tips for helping them remember the information? Or just tell then to follow the manual?

Any tips if this is not a professional lesson? Like, if it's your own in-laws and you're struggling with how to navigate their role as caregivers and their role as your in-laws? :eek:

Thanks!

PS -- Seat is a britax Roundabout and car is an '09 forester.

ADS

MommyShannon

For my mom, I do any install (but really it's only been a 1 day thing so not leaving a seat long term. I've shown her how tight it should be, but she couldn't install on her own right now. I'd stress not using a coat in the car, how to loosen and tighten the harness (pull slack from hips, pull in back to help), and where the chest clip goes. I'd move the straps up when needed. There is plenty of time between needing to move them and they will either mention they seem to low to you or you can catch it some time. Since it's rf, there isn't a big concern about them being wrong suddenly (like if a ff rider's shoulders go above the slot that would be important right away).

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'd move the straps up when needed. There is plenty of time between needing to move them and they will either mention they seem to low to you or you can catch it some time. Since it's rf, there isn't a big concern about them being wrong suddenly (like if a ff rider's shoulders go above the slot that would be important right away).

This was my thinking too.

Should I teach them the seatbelt install in case they ever need to move the seat to the center or to a car without LATCH? Or should I just teach them the LATCH install and hold off on seatbelt for now?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would say, the simpler the better. Don't show them every possible exception. If the cars they will typically use have LATCH, show them LATCH and then *mention* briefly, "if you'll ever be in an older car, call me and I'll tell you what to do." Is there a real likelihood they'll be in a pre-LATCH vehicle?

Likewise, I would cover rear-facing rules: at or below, (it's already set, so they can forget about that,) straps on the shoulders, buckle the buckle not just the chest clip, pinch test on straps, chest clip at armpit level, no bulky clothing. Maybe even give them a list of "check these five" or three or whatever: buckle buckled, straps are tight, chest clip is level. Put your DD in the seat and show them, "This is what it should look like when you ride with her."

To preserve the in-law relationship, you might consider meeting with a tech. "Hey, I heard 9/10 seats are in wrong and I'd like to make sure DD's are okay. Can you meet me at ABC Elementary at 11 on Saturday morning?" That way someone impartial is correcting them, and not just you.

kam1011

I feel like all our grandparents are afraid of squishing the child by tightening the belt or pushing to snap a buckle in. Maybe tricks to tighten the harness without fear of squishing and tips on how to unbuckle it in under 10 minutes.

MommyShannon

This was my thinking too. Should I teach them the seatbelt install in case they ever need to move the seat to the center or to a car without LATCH? Or should I just teach them the LATCH install and hold off on seatbelt for now?
Do you anticipate their needing to move it at all? If you are seeing them to drop off your daughter anytime it will be used, I probably wouldn't teach them either. I'd probably teach seatbelt install if you do see a need. I think that's generally straight forward in most cars with the RA55 (route belt through here, lock belt, put pressure on seat while pulling slack out).

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
To preserve the in-law relationship, you might consider meeting with a tech. "Hey, I heard 9/10 seats are in wrong and I'd like to make sure DD's are okay. Can you meet me at ABC Elementary at 11 on Saturday morning?" That way someone impartial is correcting them, and not just you.

I thought the same thing. My in- laws bristle easily, though, and my husband thought they'd be a little offended if we brought in a stranger to teach them -- especially since they know how much I enjoy discussing car seat safety with other people -- kinda like "oh, so you'll spend several hours helping your sister install her car seat and correcting her misuse, but with us you outsource it?"

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Do you anticipate their needing to move it at all? If you are seeing them to drop off your daughter anytime it will be used, I probably wouldn't teach them either. I'd probably teach seatbelt install if you do see a need. I think that's generally straight forward in most cars with the RA55 (route belt through here, lock belt, put pressure on seat while pulling slack out).

We won't be there to check it everytime it gets installed/uninstalled, so I definitely want them to know how to install it at least one way. I don't really think they'll have a reason to need the seatbelt install. Maybe I'll teach them latch and then teach seatbelt after they've been using it for awhile, so as not to overwhelm them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC