Question Dodge Stratus 99 rear belt ELR

mom531

My firend who will drive my kids about now and then has a dodge 99 stratus. the rear belts are ELR only. They do not retract or lock other than if she suddenly stops while driving. I don't like the saftey this provides my kids. I have 3 kids, ages 6,3 and 1.

HOw can I make the rear seat belts lock. DO I use a belt shortening clip? I've been reading a bunch on the internet and it seems that this is what I need. I appreciate any help. I also could not find the part number for this of shortening clip from Dodge. I would appreciate help with that too, if this is indeed what I need.:(

ADS

mom531

Thank you. I will go out and try using the latchplate. I don't understand though how that would make the seat belt taut? If I pull more belt out, won't it just come out? I wanted it to be tight like when u use a retracting belt.

WIll this make it to where the belt stays retracted?

Thanks. ALso I am obviously not savvy with this.

Keeanh

Hi!! You only need the lap portion of the belt locked. A locking latchplate works like the latchplate on a lap-only belt and keeps the lap portion from loosening. If the belt does still loosen after installing a seat, then try flipping the male buckle upside-down. If it still loosens, the latchplate might be broken and you'll need a locking clip.

I'm guessing the middle belt is a lap-only belt. If so, you can only use that spot for a harnessed seat, not a booster. And you can't put a locking clip on a lap belt, so if it isn't holding you HAVE to do the upside-down trick OR twist the female end down to get the buckle away from the belt path.

If this is all jibberish to you, don't worry :D Go play with the seats & seatbelts this weekend and things will start to make sense. Take your camera and post pictures of any difficulties you're having. We'll help you sort it out.

Keeanh

If you wouldn't mind giving us your children's heights & weights, and the seats you have available, we can probably do some 3-across troubleshooting ahead of time. Do you know if your friend's car has any tether anchors?

mom531

Thank you all so much for helping out. I tried the latch plates, but the ones on this car look nothing like the pics posted here. They don't lock. I spent my weekend worrying about this and I am starting a part time job so I had to find a solution fast. Well, I didn't really solve the car seat belt problem, but worked something else out. My family is helping with the younger ones and the older will do after-school. For now, I'm done with the seat belt problem that kept me awake at night. If it rears its ugly head again, U bet I'll be back but with pictures :) Once again, thank you all so much!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC