Overwhelmed with choices-help-Canada

Diemme

Help? DS1 is 5.5 and tiny at about 37lbs..he's FF in a Eddie Bauer convertible (not sure of expiry date) and we would like to start booster training. DS2 is almost 9 months..in a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio that is about to expire.

Do we start using the EB as a booster & buy baby a new seat or give that to baby & purchase a different booster? The older guy falls asleep very easily still.

I'm so overwhelmed with choices & decisions and all this car-seat talk on the forum is so confusing. Suggestions on the seats would be soooo welcome & appreciated.

I'm in Ontario, Canada. TIA!!!

ADS

Lenae

I do not believe the EB convertible seats make safe boosters, so you should definitely avoid using it as such. Do you have a budget in mind?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Re: Overwhelmed with choices-help

Before you use the Eddie Bauer seat again, make sure you check the limits of the seat. If it has a 40 lb maximum for the harness, it's very likely he's already outgrown it. Also, the 3-in-1 seats make horrible boosters, but luckily they are great RF seats :) I'd pass that down to the baby and get him another (harnessed) seat. There are several that can accommodate his size and keep him both comfy and safe :)

MommyShannon

If your Eddie Bauer hasn't expired, I'd pass it down to the baby. Since your son is under 40lbs, he has to remain harnessed. If you think the Eddie Bauer will be expiring relatively soon, I'd consider an Evenflo SureRide for your son. It's a very tall convertible. Once he is over 40lbs, you can get him a dedicated high back booster and pass the SureRide down to replace the Eddie Bauer.

tiggercat

Hi and welcome! I am also in Ontario.

At 37 lbs, your son is below the legal minimum weight for booster use. Has he outgrown the Eddie Bauer yet? It is outgrown forward facing when his shoulders go above the top harness position, or the tops of his hears go above the top of the seat shell, or he exceeds the weight maximum for the harness.

Since the EB makes a poor booster, I would consider a combination child/booster seat like the Graco Nautilus to keep him harnessed until at least 40lbs. There are other options depending on budget.

For the youngest, you can use the EB rearfacing as long as you can get a good installation and it is not expired. Can you locate the sticker on the seat that says the date of manufacture? There will also be an expiry date stamped intob the back of the shell, saying something like "do not use after 2015"

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi and welcome! I am also in Ontario.

At 37 lbs, your son is below the legal minimum weight for booster use. Has he outgrown the Eddie Bauer yet? It is outgrown forward facing when his shoulders go above the top harness position, or the tops of his hears go above the top of the seat shell, or he exceeds the weight maximum for the harness.

Since the EB makes a poor booster, I would consider a combination child/booster seat like the Graco Nautilus to keep him harnessed until at least 40lbs. There are other options depending on budget.

For the youngest, you can use the EB rearfacing as long as you can get a good installation and it is not expired. Can you locate the sticker on the seat that says the date of manufacture? There will also be an expiry date stamped intob the back of the shell, saying something like "do not use after 2015"

:yeahthatlove: I would also point out that that era of EB seat most likely has a 32" rear-facing height limit. Depending on the build of your youngest that might not be very long, so please check on that as well.

Diemme

Thank you for the replies.
I took a look and only found the manufacture date, which is 2008. Nowhere on the seat did I find the expiry. Same goes for the backup Costco Scenera seat we have. The EB I didn't remove to check the bottom, but the other I did, and not written anywhere. I'll have to figure out when it expires, somehow.

And yes, the older guy has definitely outgrown the seat height wise. Gotta decide what to do asap. Sooo hard!

BTW...we drive a 2008 Honda Civic and a 2010 Honda CRV (although we will be replacing soon)

Pixelated

Unfortunately, many manufacturers have different expiry for different era seats. For example, white shelled Britaxes had a 6 year useful life, black shelled are 7. Many Dorel seats were 6 years originally, and switched to 8 years along the way.
So the TC list is helpful, but not conclusive or up to date. Unfortunately!

Because of those very discrepancies in different eras of seats we wrote a new expiry list here, verified with manufacturers as needed.

http://vicarseattechs.com/2013/why-do-car-seats-expire/

Keeanh

How tall/long is your 9mo? The Scenera will almost certainly expire this year, and has a 32" RF height limit. See if you can find the date for the Eddie Bauer, as well as a rear-facing height limit on that seat.

tiggercat

Because of those very discrepancies in different eras of seats we wrote a new expiry list here, verified with manufacturers as needed.

http://vicarseattechs.com/2013/why-do-car-seats-expire/

How did I miss this? Thanks!

It looks like all Dorel 3in1s are 8yrs then? Somehow I thought they were 6 years originally (I remember thinking, how can you have an "only seat you will ever need" if it expires before you get to booster mode).

Pixelated

How did I miss this? Thanks!

It looks like all Dorel 3in1s are 8yrs then? Somehow I thought they were 6 years originally (I remember thinking, how can you have an "only seat you will ever need" if it expires before you get to booster mode).

As far as I know they are all 8 years. Although I would not be shocked if someone someday said nope, mine is good for 6. Despite this list I think a person should always verify with info on their own seat/manual, just in case.

And re the Dorel infant/child seats -- I know the Complete Air is 8 years, but some others are 6. Maybe the Guide is 6, not sure. I didn't have the energy to track down all of the individual seats and check, hence the range on those :)

Diemme

The Sceneras were manufactured in 2009 & 2010...so those will be ok for the little guy now and will last a little while longer. Will use those as 2nd & grandma seats. I haven't had a chance to remove the EB to see the back of it..will do so this weekend..but I did think it was 8 years when I bought it. Either way, the older guy has definitely outgrown it by height..so I need to buy his seat ASAP!

As suggested, because he's not yet 40lbs, I'll have to get him a harnessed seat. Now it's a matter of which? He falls asleep so easily, I want him to be comfortable. I can then pass it down to the baby & get him a dedicated booster. Oh boy...I swear, the other day I had a dream about car seats. I spent hours at BRU!!! lol

Keeanh

Personally, I prefer dedicated boosters over combination seats (harness-to-booster) in booster mode. I find combination seats unnecessarily bulky and heavy when all you need is a booster. So with that in mind, my personal recommendation would be to get a larger convertible seat that you will pass down once 5yo is 40lbs.

Here's a great list of recommended seats as a starting point: http://vicarseattechs.com/our-favourite-seats/infantchild-seats/

Diemme

Agree with you Keeanh..don't care to have big bulky seats longer than I have to. Thank you...will look at that list carefully.

Diemme

So sorry for the late reply...I would prefer to stick to less than $300 if possible. A slim seat would be nice so a third person could fit in the back if needed. I've been keeping my eyes open for any sales, but nothing yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC