Question Britax Max-Fix Rearward does not "recline" due to the incline of the car seats

F

Flors

Hi, we have been using our new Britax Max-Fix Rearward car seat for about four weeks, since our daughter grew out of her Maxi Cosi Pebble. We have a Citroen C3 Picasso, and bought the Britax Max-Fix Rearward from a reputable, independant car seat dealer in Bradford, who fitted the seat for us and showed my husband how to adjust the seat as our child grows, fit and maintain the seat. It is Isofox only. Our duaghter is now 13 months, and while she likes to be upright now, she still sleeps a great deal on car journeys, and as this seat is suitable from birth, I thought it would recline enough to allow this.

However, when in the recline mode the seat is upright, causing her to flop over when asleep. When in the "upright mode" my poor daughter is bent forward. As far as I can tell the seat does not "recline" due to the incline of the car seats. I don't know much about cars, but this cannot be right, surely the car and the seat are not compatible? All the information I can find on the subject shows the seat being fitted onto a flat seat.

Should I be doing something differently? Rear facing seats are rare, and otherwise this is clearly a quality seat. Should I instead seek to return the seat, what are my rights as a consumer? I would appreciate any help you can give.

ADS

canadiangie

Can you contact Britax directly and ask if there is an approved method to increase recline? I assume there is no mention in the owners manual about this issue?

Alternatively, you could contact our European car seat guru who goes by the screen name Adventuredad. I'm sure he would know the answer or how you could get an answer. I'll dig up his contact info..

carseat.se is his website.

He is also an established retailer, with years of experience. I wouldn't hesitate to contact him. :)

finn

Can you try the seat in a different position on your car? The middle seat tends to have less of a slope and will allow the car seat to be more reclined.

Adventuredad

Max-Fix can only be reclined with the wheel on the side of the car seat. There is unfortunately no workaround regarding the angle. Middle rear can't be used since it does not have Isofix. Front passenger seat can be used if you have Isofix in front seat and also can deactivate airbag. This vehicle seat does usually have a more upright angle.

There is nothing wrong with the seat. Isofix seats can be a little upright in some cars where seats are sloping more than usual and/or Isofix connectors of the car are placed quite low and deep.

If a seat was installed using a seat belt a wedge or rolled up towel could be used for more angle. This is not possible with Isofix.

Your dealer should have pointed out the issue with the angle. Especially when installing the seat in the car. It would be very obvious even with limited experience.

Our advice would be to use Kiss 2 if you prefer an Isofix seat (installed with seat belt or Isofix). This seat is as compact as Max-Fix and has adjustable recline while driving. The angle is steeper than Max-Fix so it usually works well in all cars.

It's possible the seat can be returned, not sure about your terms, but after using it for a month I think this is a bit much to ask.

If you prefer a belted seat with the higher 25 kg weight limit Britax Hi-Way, Britax Max-Way or Axkid Minikid would be good options. All three seats are about as compact as Kiss 2 but have a very flexible installation angle. The styrofoam wedge from Britax should be used for extra angle.

The Max-Fix is currently not being sold anywhere since the shoulder pads were found to contain too much toxic chemicals in a test a couple of months ago. Not really a huge deal but it's nicer to have pads which are "clean".

Some are removing the Max-Fix pads and replacing them with over the counter straps until Britax ship more seats. I'm sure your reputable dealer took care of this but it could be worth it to do a quick check.

Using the seat upright, even if head is falling forward while sleeping, is not unsafe but it can be uncomfortable. Rear facing seats provide better safety while being more upright.

Another question.... Most C3 Picasso have compartments underneath the floor. This should be filled, covered or support leg should be placed at the bottom of the compartments. Surely this was done but just wanted to remind you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC