get current radian or wait for new one?

lpperry

I am asking lots of questions about new seats lately. Now, that I have the Evenflo Sureride and the Harmony Defender set for my parents' car, now I need something new for my car.

I am getting a new Radian for Avery and going to give my new March baby his Coccoro. My question is should I buy the Radian out right now or should I wait for the new Radian coming out this year?

I have enough Coccoros that Avery and the baby could both ride in a CCO until the new Radians are available. Avery will be 2 and is way under the weight limit and height. He would fit in it for another 6 months to a year at least, so waiting isn't a big issue.

I just want to know if the new ones are going to be worth waiting for or if I should just get one of the RXTs that I already know I love.

We currently have 2 RXTs and 2 XTSL.

ADS

YinzerMama

Personally I really like the idea of the middle version, deeper shell, no wings - but maybe it depends on how long you plan to use it and till what age? Right now one of my radians is ff in my husband's car for my girls to use and I feel like it won't be long till the wings become problematic - they seem to not want to stay in the very top wing position for some reason so i push them up every time she gets in. I don't really plan to use the seat much for a big kid though so I don't really know if it ever will become a problem. They are happy to stay at the 2nd from the top slot which is really good enough but it would be nice if they would stay higher.

If I could have either, right now, I think I'd lean the middle version of the new line up. I am kind of irked on principle though that they didn't make any changes to remove the need for the angle adjuster...

lpperry

I will use it until at least 6 years old. I have my 3 year old rf in RXT and XTSL and 4 year old ff in RXT and XTSL. All have wings. I had a problem with one seat's wings slipping and posted on here. Someone gave me a fix for it--tightening the screws on the back. I did that and it completely fixed the slipping wings.

I will use it as a booster as well if it fits my kids well. Will have to see about that because no one is ready to booster yet.

MommyShannon

A lot of kids won't meet the minimum weight for booster mode before outgrowing it height wise. Have you seen the post about the Cocorro recall?

lpperry

Yes just saw that recall on cco today.

We might not use radian to booster. I don't really care about that. I do love it for everything else.

lpperry

I like that Orange Pacifica!

When are these supposed to come out? I might wait for that one.

gigi

Since you have lightweight kids, I'd probably get the lowest and of the new lineup. The weight limits are very high despite the others being higher and I don't feel the Radian headwings do much (maybe that will be different on the new models). The deep sides are really nice, remind me a bit of the Coccoro sides. I actually like these new seats, maybe I'll wait for one, although I am loathe to get a brand new model (especially from a company that has spotty customer care).

YinzerMama

I think the reason I would go for the middle is I assumed (not sure why?) the lowest end one once again would have no memory foam. They do say it has no infant cushions, which would be needed with a small baby (I assume? I never used one under 2yo)

I have no idea if it is ok to add foam to the lowest end radian. I know you can buy just the foam. I assumed they would not give you an official OK to add it but I don't know.

I feel like they use things like that to really upsell you. Most people would be fine with the radian 100 - but it has no foam. The 120 seems like it was quite popular but the color selection now is super limited - I'd have been OK with a 120 if I could have gotten one in red or blue. I got the rxt largely for color. I wouldn't be surprised if with the new ones the bottom one is only offered in black and beige or something like that.

I know these aren't important safety features but I like choices of color and I like my kids to have a comfy seat.

gigi

I would definitely pay more for softer foam, but I like the shadow so I'd be fine with that cover. I think you are right about the upselling though, for my older one I almost picked the RXT because it is bright. I couldn't get over the customer care and fidgety details though so I bought a FF seat (he was 3).

lpperry

I buy for color! Whatever seat has the color I want, that's what I will get. If that one with the wings has orange or some other good colors, I would likely get that one.

I am really loving that orange one and the RXTs don't have Orange. We already have the red and the flora. I like the plum, but it's for a boy before a girl, so not sure if I was going to get plum or blue. I like the orange way more than the blue, so I think I'll wait for the new seats. We use our seats for a long time, so I am fine with paying more for a seat I really like.

I wonder if the deeper sides are going to affect the way a 3 across would go. It doesn't matter too much to me because I can use the RXT in the back of the van with my three across and use the new one in the 2nd row of Odyssey. I hope I like the deeper sides. I like the Radian because it is so easy to get in and out of. I guess I will buy the Pacifica from somewhere with free returns, and if I don't like the sides, I'll return it for the RXT that I know I love.

YinzerMama

I'm assuming the sides will come straight forward, so shouldn't add width in a 3 across. The base/butt parts seem to be the same. They really like to tout their 3 across possibilities so I can't imagine they'd give that up.

I have a purple cover for a boy. :) The cobalt and daytona are very cold in the winter, so I got a plum cover for warmth (or at least not freezingness)

lpperry

I have my eye on that orange one, so that works. However, I think I should stick with the RXT. One of the things I love about the Radian is the sides. It is so easy to get kids in and out and buckle them without deep sides in the way. I wonder how deep the new sides will be.

YinzerMama

Bah! I was afraid they'd do that. Jerks. :(

Yeah pretty lame. But pretty pleased with myself for calling it, lol.

The orange is pretty neat at least. But I think I will stick with my red rxt cuz it matches my husband's car. :D

I wonder about the deep sides, too. I love our nextfit right now but my kid is a small for his age not quite 3. I have a feeling by the end of this year he will be happier in the rxt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC