Help for family of 8

U

Unregistered

We just expanded our family of 5 to 8 with triplets! We have put off getting a new car but need to purchase something that will fit us all. We currently have a Kia Sedona with all 3 infants in the back row in Graco infant seats. Now that the babies are nearly 5 months, we are starting to look at moving them into RF convertibles, most likely Radians or Britax for the narrow footprint. Our other 3 can all FF in boosters (5, 6 & 8 years), with our oldest currently needing to ride in the front seat if one parent takes all 6 kids. Otherwise, we take two vehicles. We are debating the Sienna and Odyssey but not sure if they are really doable with 3 babies. Will 3 of the same seats really fit in one row? I've heard people put the RF seats in the 3rd row and load in through the back but I'm not sure how practical that is with three. Or we'd have all three RF in the 2nd row and don't know how easy it would be for the older kids to get in the 3rd row. Any advice about configurations would be awesome.

ADS

EmmasMom

I'm just chiming in to bump this up, so not too much advice.

I've heard many people load their rear facers through the back. I did it with my Mazda 5 and it worked. Might be a good idea in your situation. Also, getting 3 Britax seats in a row very rarely happens, so you may want to look for a combo of different seats, or go with the Dionos.

Congratulations on the growing family! I know many people on this site should be able to give you good BTDT advice. 😉

ahgirls

What age range are you looking at for vans? That would depend whether you Honda or Toyota. I have a friend with a Sienna. The car seat combinations she fits in there, I'm in awe.

Kel

We have 6 kids. We really liked the Ford expedition EL. It has nice wide seats, so more elbow room for bigger kids. Theirs a couple woman here that drive them and really like them. My DH still has our old mini van. Our first three DC our now 10-12-14 yr old boys. Their all 90-100% in height. They hate going in it, lol.

We decided to skip straite to the 12 passenger vans, as we plan more children.

Good luck!!

Keeanh

What years are you looking at? For 2004-2010, the Sienna has more room than the Ody. If you're looking newer, then the Odyssey has more room.

ed_tricia

In the 2004-10 sienna, you could probably fit any three in the second row, but accessing third row would be tough. Could you do two rf in second row w one booster, and the other rf and two boosters in back? That would allow the booster in second row to be moved to allow access to the back. Are any of your older kids responsible enough to help buckle babies?
I haven't fit three across my back row, but I have wide convertibles. I know two highback turboboosters and a backless harmony will not fit together third row.
I do love my sienna, I just dont have good narrow seat recs.

nannykates

How big are your triplets(weight, height, shirt sizes)? That will help us suggest seats that will fit them best-and last longer. Also what seats do you currently have for your older ones (we may have to suggest different boosters to get 3 across)?

I second the suggestion of previous style Sienna 8pass or current style oddysey.

Both of these vans have very wide second rows that should fit near any 3across and have better 3rd rows for figuring out something that will work.

The diono seats are probably your best bet, although puzzling something else with one or two of those may work as well.

zeo2ski

In the meantime, when you have to put one child in the front seat, a harnessed child would be safer than a boostered child, even if it's not the oldest kiddo. So if you still have any harnessed seat that your 5 or 6 year old can fit into properly, that child should go in the front rather than the oldest. But if you don't still have a seat or the children have outgrown the harness, you are correct to put your oldest there. :)

MamanMag

What is your budget for the car? The Nissan NV3500 is a very spacious car that would fit all of you without any problem :) That van seems really nice!! Even though we "only" have 5 kiddos, that is the van that I really would like but it is too much for our budget :( It is such a headache to try to fit everybody in our minivan but that's the way it's going to be for a while...

Good luck!! Also depending on your budget, the easiest to fit 3 in a row are the radians, the foonfs and the coccoros (but the CCO's have a lower limit than the previous 2 for RFing...).

Good luck!!

Mag

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC