Slim convertible for flight, rental car & more?

U

Unregistered

I'm looking for a carseat for my 2 1/2 yr old to take on vacation. There will be a fairly short (2 1/2 hour) flight on Southwest, then we need to rent a car for a week. At home, the toddler is in a rear-facing Radian XLT, but we don't want to lug this seat around due to its weight. For the rental car, I'd also prefer something that can be installed rear-facing if at all possible. Bonus points for a seat that fits good enough for occasional use in our second car (a Ford Focus) - the kid will enter preschool next fall, and if his Dad could use the seat to sometimes drop him off in the morning, that would be a plus.

I was looking at the Evenflo Sureride, but here's what Southwest says about seat width "Although the width of aircraft seats varies, a safety seat wider than 16 inches is unlikely to fit, even if the armrests of the aircraft seats are moved out of the way." Amazon lists the Sureride at 19 inches wide if I understand the specs correctly. Now I'm not sure what to look into. This forum has really helped me figure out car seat questions in the past, so I thought I should ask here again!

Martina

ADS

jjordan

The Sureride would probably work fine. I'd also consider an inexpensive Britax (Roundabout 50 or 55, $150-ish, but sometimes on sale for $100-ish) for the easy installation in whatever rental car you have.

Keeyamah

Yeah, the 19" is at it's widest spot, not that it's that wide everywhere. It's also very very lightweight (about 10lbs) so it's gonna be fairly easy to attach to luggage to drag through the airport. I find it to be a very easy to install in the vehicles I've tried it in, with the seatbelt. My explorer is too old to have LATCH and I was just playing with it in my mom's van, so I didn't hassle with the LATCH straps.

U

Unregistered

Thanks, everyone! It's helpful to know that people have successfully fitted the Sureride on Southwest planes. I guess we'll give it a try, at least it'll be a decent option for the rental car and at home as well!

Martina

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC