Are there radians in countries other than the US/Canada?

YinzerMama

When Sunshine Kids became "Diono" and a lot of people speculated it was to hide from the superlatch mess, Diono claimed it was so as to have a more "global" sounding name. But looking at their website - I haven't snooped every single country yet - it seems like the US and Canada are the only countries where you can buy Radians. Some countries have the Monteray... many only have trivial car seat and stroller accessories. Is this odd or shady in any way? Do other countries not consider these seats to be safe? Or is there just not a market for them?

I find this kind of puzzling, that they're in the global market to sell drink holders and piddle pads.

ADS

_juune

When Sunshine Kids became "Diono" and a lot of people speculated it was to hide from the superlatch mess, Diono claimed it was so as to have a more "global" sounding name. But looking at their website - I haven't snooped every single country yet - it seems like the US and Canada are the only countries where you can buy Radians. Some countries have the Monteray... many only have trivial car seat and stroller accessories. Is this odd or shady in any way? Do other countries not consider these seats to be safe? Or is there just not a market for them?

I find this kind of puzzling, that they're in the global market to sell drink holders and piddle pads.

I'd guess it's probably because Radian is in some way not compatible with the ECE R44/04 standard that most of the rest of the world uses for car seats; it's not like one standard is safer than the other, it's just that they are different. Requirements for boosters are more similar, that's why it was probably easier for them to certify Monterey with ECE R44/04, too, with few or no modification. A year (?) or so ago a seat called Diono StratoFix was presented in a trade show, that apparently is/was intended for Europe. Just this summer we got a new standard ECE R129 for car seats [both the new one and the old one are in use at this moment] -- it's brand new and currently only includes isofix-only installed seats, booster seats are next on the line to be included, and then belt installed seats with integral harness; Diono may well be waiting for this new standard to come into full force and just then certify a new seat by it; from what I've heard it's a very costly process to certify a seat ...

Added: isn't the Radian also sold in the New Zealand? I may be wrong but aren't R44/04, Australian and selected FMVS 213 seats legal there?

Last edited:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I seem to recall that they are available in New Zealand also. And I keep hearing speculation about other seats besides Radians in development for European countries.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC