Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    383

    Potty for higher height/weight % 2yr old

    Ok, need recommendations on a little potty for my large 2 yr old. He will be 3 on March 2. He's about 35 lbs and 40" tall. So he's a big boy, but he isn't ready to use the big potty, apparently.

    He will pee in the big potty, but seems to like to crouch to poop so I need a smaller potty so his feet can touch the ground. I always swore I would not buy a little potty and DS1 trained with the Bjorn toilet trainer on the regular toilet.

    I have no desire to clean a small potty, but I'm ready to get DS2 out of diapers and he is doing great with pee on the big potty, but will only rarely poop in it.

    I don't want to spend a lot on one, so I'm wondering if this one would work?
    http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price...lot=medium_1_2

    I'm open to other suggestions as well and really appreciate any help.

    Thanks!

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Location
    Car-Seat.Org
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    Carseat Crazy jgomez411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadaisy View Post
    Ok, need recommendations on a little potty for my large 2 yr old. He will be 3 on March 2. He's about 35 lbs and 40" tall. So he's a big boy, but he isn't ready to use the big potty, apparently. He will pee in the big potty, but seems to like to crouch to poop so I need a smaller potty so his feet can touch the ground. I always swore I would not buy a little potty and DS1 trained with the Bjorn toilet trainer on the regular toilet. I have no desire to clean a small potty, but I'm ready to get DS2 out of diapers and he is doing great with pee on the big potty, but will only rarely poop in it. I don't want to spend a lot on one, so I'm wondering if this one would work? http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price...lot=medium_1_2 I'm open to other suggestions as well and really appreciate any help. Thanks!
    We have a couple Safety 1st ones that work great. I occasionally sit on it when I'm giving DD a bath. She will either sit on there or she will take it apart so she can fit it on the big potty and use the base for her feet. I bought one full price and found another at Goodwill for cheap and just bleached it really well.
    Oh and I just use Clorox wipes after each use. Once she will use the big potty all the time, I'll bleach it really well but when she uses it 8+ times a day there's no way I'm bleaching it everytime!

  4. #3
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    383

    Re: Potty for higher height/weight % 2yr old

    Quote Originally Posted by jgomez411 View Post
    We have a couple Safety 1st ones that work great. I occasionally sit on it when I'm giving DD a bath. She will either sit on there or she will take it apart so she can fit it on the big potty and use the base for her feet. I bought one full price and found another at Goodwill for cheap and just bleached it really well.
    Oh and I just use Clorox wipes after each use. Once she will use the big potty all the time, I'll bleach it really well but when she uses it 8+ times a day there's no way I'm bleaching it everytime!
    Can I find one of them at Target or Walmart? Hoping to pick one up tonight or tomorrow locally. Thanks!

  5. #4
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,516

    Re: Potty for higher height/weight % 2yr old

    I heart the froggie potty. I used one with my girls and the simplicity + cuteness + cheapness rocked. I didn't like the re-design (the orange one is new) so I sought out used ones and now have a frog for every floor. However I have discovered that the old one, the eyes are so high, it works great for naked potty training (which we do) but can make it hard to pull down undies and still sit so the orange one might be better after all.

    Go for it.

  6. #5
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    383

    Re: Potty for higher height/weight % 2yr old

    Quote Originally Posted by YinzerMama View Post
    I heart the froggie potty. I used one with my girls and the simplicity + cuteness + cheapness rocked. I didn't like the re-design (the orange one is new) so I sought out used ones and now have a frog for every floor. However I have discovered that the old one, the eyes are so high, it works great for naked potty training (which we do) but can make it hard to pull down undies and still sit so the orange one might be better after all.

    Go for it.
    I'm honestly almost afraid he's going to be too big for it. Really hoping it will be a very temporary solution. He is the size of some 4yr olds I know, so a little potty feels silly to me and I'm afraid it's going to be hugely messy!

  7. #6
    Carseat Crazy jgomez411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadaisy View Post
    Can I find one of them at Target or Walmart? Hoping to pick one up tonight or tomorrow locally. Thanks!
    I got mine at Target about 18 months ago. I just looked and couldn't find if but Walmart has http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix#...08?type=searchwhich is pretty close to the one I have. I'm not sure why the reviews are so bad but I've had no issues and we dealt with plenty of pee on the cooshie part and it doesn't smell.

  8. #7
    CPS Fanatic Brianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,496
    J finally started peeing on the potty right around his 3rd birthday and used the froggy. At that age he was well over the 97th percentiles for height and weight, he fit fine. He used the froggy potty for months until he switched to a built in toddler size seat on the regular toilet.

    The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

  9. #8
    Senior Community Member Keeks64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Island , BC
    Posts
    766
    Baby Bjorn hands down!!! The high back version. It's simple, easy to clean & taller off the ground

    R: 09/2008, 40lbs & 44"
    D: 07/2012 27lbs & 33"

  10. #9
    CPS Fanatic jacqui276's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,285

    Re: Potty for higher height/weight % 2yr old

    Quote Originally Posted by Keeks64 View Post
    Baby Bjorn hands down!!! The high back version. It's simple, easy to clean & taller off the ground
    I love this one too. DS is only 35" tall (and 34lbs) but is just starting to learn and uses this one. I've had a few little potties kicking around and this is by far my favourite (and I HATE little potties too...). I think the he will still fit on this one for awhile and I often have to help him onto it.

    Jacqui - mom to: DS; 4.5yrs (50lbs, 46", Diono Radian RXT), DD; 12yrs (5'2, 5-stepping)

  11. #10
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,516

    Re: Potty for higher height/weight % 2yr old

    The bjorn potty is nice but pricey.

    If you have an ikea near you they have a cheap version of the bjorn potty. (They have 2 potties - one is $5, the other is $10 I think) Can't think how it compares in size. We used the smaller one as a car potty for years. It's kind of annoying to empy since it doesn't have a seperate pot.

    The froggie pottie is a really nice size though. My girls could still use it. I could use it if I had to. We have an old house with no bathroom on the first floor so we keep a froggie potty in the kitchen (very glamorous). I broke my foot a few weeks ago and joked I was going to use it instead of going upstairs or to the basement to pee. And I really could sit on it. But I drink so much diet pepsi I am afraid my bladder would overflow it. (I didn't try)

    If you're not squeamish check CL for one of the old ones. I think the actual frog portion itself is the same size though... just the old eyeballs were higher, and curved, so the eyesockets made a nice place to hold the pot when you removed it.

    I often see the bjorn ones for 10-15 bucks around here, too, on CL.

    I'm not squeamish about such things though. They're all hard plastic so can be cleaned. Some of the kiddie potties have foamy parts or lots of gaps or whatever and can really never be cleaned totally. I've been through so many potty things with the kids.

  12. #11
    CPS Fanatic jacqui276's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,285
    I find the bjorn ones go on sale a fair bit around here too. I bought DS his for about $20.

    Jacqui - mom to: DS; 4.5yrs (50lbs, 46", Diono Radian RXT), DD; 12yrs (5'2, 5-stepping)

  13. #12
    CPS Fanatic bubbaray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    2,911
    I'd get a toilet step before I dealt with a potty chair.
    Melissa

    DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

    Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

  14. #13
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I'd get a toilet step before I dealt with a potty chair.
    I have a step stool, but our toilet just seems taller than some. His feet do barely reach the stool now when he is sitting on the toilet, but it doesn't solve my problem. He squats to poop and I think the little potty will put him in a more familiar position and low to the ground.

    I do not relish dealing with a potty chair. To be honest, we don't really even have a good space for it in the bathroom. It's just a very temporary fix to get him to poop in the potty instead of a diaper. We got the froggy one because I couldn't rationalize spending over $20 on a little potty that I am hoping to use for only a few months at most.

    I know the bjorn one is a little nicer, but unless I have a friend with one they are getting rid of, we will be trying this one out tomorrow. Hopefully, he will like it and not want to use it all of the time because he pees fine on the big toilet.

  15. #14
    Senior Community Member tjham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,885

    Re: Potty for higher height/weight % 2yr old

    I love the Baby Bjorn big potty. But they were just coming out with the Froggie one when my grandson didn't need a potty anymore or I would have snapped one up in a minute!

    I had several others and only liked the Baby Bjorn. I had the little one for the car.

    I especially hated the Fisher Price one that made music, the Royal potty. Not because it made music. It just was a royal pain! Haha!

  16. #15
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,516

    Re: Potty for higher height/weight % 2yr old

    I never minded a potty very much. We attempted to skip the potty when my oldest was a toddler and do the insert and step stool route but he freaked out over sitting on the big toilet. Big, melt-down, terrified screams. It wasn't worth it to me to push the issue when he was perfectly content to sit on his little potty.

    Little potties are also really good if your kid swallows something that you have to look for later. Luckily I only ever needed that benefit with one kid... so far.

  17. #16
    Carseat Crazy wnkw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SE Georgia
    Posts
    520
    Has anyone used the summer infant potty that looks like the bjourn one? 9$ on amazon..
    Rayleigh - 9/07 - Frontier 85


    Reese - 7/12 - RF Britax Boulevard

  18. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    29

    Re: Potty for higher height/weight % 2yr old

    We had the Fisher Price frog potty for DS who was probably a bit shorter than yours but still a tall and sturdy kid. It worked well for him -- some potties the hole was so small it kind of did not line up with the exit if you know what I mean.

  19. #18
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    383
    Thanks. We used the frog potty very briefly. He decided he wanted to use the big potty and flush! Yay! He has been completely out of diapers for about a month now!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •