What do you do in Taxis--travelling to cities

U

Unregistered

What do you do with your toddlers when you have to use taxis in cities..
I used to be able to use the infant carseat with snap in frame, but now have to travel with a 22 month old and will not have own car/carseat... Planning to use Bjorn to "secure" baby and buckle myself into taxi (belt going under/behind baby, and on/across me).
Any other ideas??

ADS

gigi

I just don't take taxis. I take public transport only. I had two babies in NYC before moving away and never once did we ride with them unrestrained.

Your plan will effectively make your baby your airbag. Please reconsider as it is very dangerous.

Either take public transport or drive to your destination and use your carseat.

newyorkDOC

I just don't take taxis. I take public transport only. I had two babies in NYC before moving away and never once did we ride with them unrestrained. Your plan will effectively make your baby your airbag. Please reconsider as it is very dangerous. Either take public transport or drive to your destination and use your carseat.
ITA. Also, the bjorn (as a carrier, not in a taxi which is a just a dangerous idea) will surely be uncomfortable and almost assuredly be outgrown at 22m.

BananaBoat

What do you do with your toddlers when you have to use taxis in cities..
I used to be able to use the infant carseat with snap in frame, but now have to travel with a 22 month old and will not have own car/carseat... Planning to use Bjorn to "secure" baby and buckle myself into taxi (belt going under/behind baby, and on/across me).
Any other ideas??

This set-up basically turns your baby into your own personal airbag in a crash.

If you must take a taxi, then you need to have a seat for your baby to travel safely. Otherwise, you can take public transportation which is what most of us would choose to do in a city situation. When we travel, we take seats with us even if they will only be used from the airport to the hotel & back - like when we go to the Caribbean. It's the only safe way. I have done the Bjorn in a taxi van in the Bahamas once because there were no working seat belts in the van & we did not have time to call for another one to get to the airport on time for our flight. It was not safe, it did not feel safe & I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I've done my share of taxi rides in San Fran after going there on public transit. When my kids were small, I put a car seat on a stroller (held on by bungee cords) so I'd be able to keep them safe in the taxi. My youngest is 11 though, so jury-rigging was my only option.

If I still had small kids now, I'd get a Combi Coccoro [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Combi-Cocorro-Lightweight-Convertible-Licorice/dp/B00261RQYY/ref=pd_cp_ba_0"]Amazon.com: Combi Cocorro Lightweight Convertible Car Seat, Licorice: Baby[/ame] car seat and a stroller frame (the Combi Flash was specifically made for this car seat, but is discontinued-still can be found used though. It also works with a Baby Trend Snap and Go) and use that until outgrown rfing (a 22 month old still small enough to fit a Bjorn should have plenty of time to rf.)

Once it was outgrown rfing and I was confident that I wouldn't regret the lack of a stroller, I'd switch to the Safety 1st GO, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Convertible-Booster-Clarksville/dp/B002UP3FB4/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1386363479&sr=1-1&keywords=safety+1st+go"]Amazon.com: Safety 1st Go Hybrid Convertible Booster, Clarksville: Baby[/ame] which can be folded up to fit in a regular backpack.

Keeanh

Welcome!! That is a difficult situation. How big is your child? If your little one is on the smaller side, you could maybe use a Coccoro which is a convertible seat that is compatible with the Combi Flash stroller frame. Hopefully by the time your child outgrows the Coccoro, you could use a Ride Safer Travel Vest http://safetrafficsystem.com/ver4/products/how-to-choose/ .

If a Coccoro is too small, you could try a Scenera or Tribute. Both are small and light enough to be bungee corded to the back of a stroller under the handle. I know, it sounds weird, but it works. I've also tried a Scenera forward-facing on a stroller. It takes a little creativity to attach, and I wouldn't leave a child unattended in it, but to walk to & from a taxi with a hand always on the stroller, I don't think it's a problem. I would do that over letting a child ride unrestrained in a vehicle, that's for sure!

ETA: Safeinthecar's post wasn't showing for me until after I posted, but I'll leave mine too ;)

MommyShannon

Here is a video explaining the dynamics in an accident and why it isn't safe. http://youtu.be/ONRUpvbM2yc
I also agree that a carrier like an Ergo is much more comfortable for carrying a child that age while walking. I haven't had to use a taxi so I don't have alternate recommendations.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC