Our Air Canada Experience - Damaged Car Seat

felixlee789

We travelled with baby for the first time in October, and unfortunately, AC damaged our car seat. We were aware of the risks beforehand, but we didn't have much choice but to check in a seat.

To share our experiences, the letter we had sent to AC Baggage Claims is shown below. Some of the photos are also attached.

So, for your child's safety, please think again before checking in a car seat.

--

To whom it may concern:

I am writing in regards to a child car seat that was damaged while in the care of Air Canada. My booking reference number is [[removed for confidentiality]], and the pertinent flights are QK7716 (YXU/YYZ) and AC620 (YYZ/YHZ) on October 12, 2013. The car seat was checked in at YXU, where the Air Canada agent placed it in a plastic bag to “protect the seat,” and retrieved in the baggage claims area at YHZ.

First off, it is important to remember that a car seat is a carefully engineered safety device, and that a damaged car seat may offer less protection to a child. For that reason, Transport Canada mandates the replacement of car seats that have been in an accident, even if a child was not present in the seat at the time of the accident. It is well-accepted by car-seat safety technicians that a car seat that has been damaged by mishandling is fundamentally no different than one that has been in an accident.

Unfortunately, it is evident that our car seat was mishandled by Air Canada, as shown in Figures 1 – 5, which are appended to this letter. Note that these damages are only those severe enough to be visible; other invisible damages may also be present.

• Figures 1 and 2 are photos of the plastic bag in which the car seat was placed. From the pattern on the plastic bag, it is clear that the car seat had been dragged.

• Figures 3 and 4 are photos of a frayed LATCH connector strap. This strap is a critical part of the car seat because it is used to fasten the car seat to the vehicle. It must support the combined weight of the car seat and the child in the event of an accident. Because it is functionally analogous to a seat belt, it looks much like a seat belt and is manufactured from the same type of material.

• Figure 5 is a photo of the rear frame of the car seat. This part of the seat is also a critical part, as it must retain the proper shape and support the weight of a child during an accident. The red boxes indicate the areas that have been dented or flexed, as evidenced by a lightening of the dark-gray plastic. Plastics that have been flexed do not retain their original strength – this is similar to the concept of “metal fatigue” as it relates to airframe failure in aircraft – and therefore no longer offer the same degree of protection.

When the damages were reported to Air Canada Baggage Services at YHZ, an agent examined the car seat and agreed that it had been damaged. I was offered a replacement car seat, and as much as I appreciated the offer, I was unable to accept the replacement because it was unsuitable:

• It is known that different car seats do not fit equally well in different cars. We were aware, from experience, that the offered seat was not a good match for the intended vehicle.

• The offered seat had a lower height limit (based on the position of the harness slots) than our damaged seat, even though both seats had identical weight limits. It is well-recognized that children usually outgrow car seats by height as opposed to by weight. In other words, our child would have outgrown the offered seat much faster than our damaged seat.

The Baggage Services agent who had examined our seat appreciated our concerns and suggested that we purchase a new seat and submit a claim to Air Canada. Accordingly, enclosed are copies of the following:

• Passenger ticket

• Damage report from Air Canada

• Baggage tag for the damaged car seat

• A receipt in the amount of $179.97 + HST = $206.97, the amount for which we are seeking reimbursement, for the purchase of a car seat identical to the one that was damaged

Considering that the car seat was damaged in Air Canada’s care, that a car seat is a safety device, and that we did not accept the offered replacement because it was unsuitable for the reasons above, we do not believe that the request for reimbursement is unreasonable.

If you have any questions or require further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

ADS

Mommy!

Sorry to hear about your seat being damaged! :(

Glad (and slightly surprised) to hear the AC rep tried to help, admitted it was damaged. Hope you receive your reimbursement quickly.

Personally though that's one reason I would never check a car seat. Your seat must have taken serious abuse, especially to have the latch strap frayed, but who knows how many other checked seats get handled roughly and suffer less visible damage.

jjordan

I am curious to know how they will respond to your letter. I think it is very well-written and straightforward. Good luck!

embee

Sorry to hear about your awful AC experience. I much prefer WestJet when I have a choice!

While I can't guarantee my checked seat didn't get damaged, I didn't find any signs of damage. We gate-checked ours in a padded car seat bag, surrounded by our winter jackets. Worked really well for us! Just thought my experience might help someone else who has to check a car seat.

Eclipsepearl

No padded bag can prevent a counter-checked car seat from being sent to the wrong city. Plus, you can't be sure that it wasn't tossed, dropped or thrown. The airlines are in a hurry to load these items and no padded bag will protect from the 20 other bags piled on top of it.

Why didn't you use the seat on board? Was she a lap baby? Why didn't you bring the seat to the gate?

Airlines often have air-tight insurance policies to protect them from responsibility (I know because I worked for two airlines). If they do compensate you, it'll be as a gesture. They are under no obligation to do so.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC