Question How long CAN I rear face my child

U

Unregistered

We reached our goal of rear-facing our DD to age 4. Now what :) She is still within the guidelines for rearfacing in her Britax Roundabout 55. She is <35 pounds and still on the second-to-top shoulder strap, and doesn't mind at all being RF

Is there any reason to flip her if she's still within the seat's guidelines? Can anyone provide me with references? I'm starting to get funny looks from people. Thanks in advance.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You can rear-face her as long as you'd like, as long as she fits. Does she have at least an inch of shell over her head?

Rear-facing is safer for ANYONE simply because the entire body is cradled in the shell.

My personal minimum is 4, and then I give my kids the option to ride forward-facing, but people can and do rear-face beyond that.

Jan06twinmom

We reached our goal of rear-facing our DD to age 4. Now what :) She is still within the guidelines for rearfacing in her Britax Roundabout 55. She is <35 pounds and still on the second-to-top shoulder strap, and doesn't mind at all being RF

Is there any reason to flip her if she's still within the seat's guidelines? Can anyone provide me with references? I'm starting to get funny looks from people. Thanks in advance.

Awesome job keeping your DD rear-facing so long. I agree with the pp that everyone is safer in the rear-facing position.

At 4yo, I think it's important to take your child's preference into consideration. Is your DD happy about being rear-facing? Does she ask/request to sit forward? My DD expressed a strong preference for rear-facing over forward-facing, even though she was riding ff in one of our car seats in the nanny's car. So I kept my DD rear-facing until she hit the rf limit of our car seat around 4y4m old.

There are a bunch of references about rear-facing on this page: http://carseatblog.com/5168/. These references focus more on keeping children rear-facing beyond a year with suggestions to keep them rear-facing up to 4yo. The physics behind why rear-facing is safer are the same even with an older child, but an older child has stronger, more developed bones to protect them in the forward-facing position.

HTH

carolyn_mtl

I keep my girls rf until they reach the limit of their seats. DD1 is 4yr2mos, and still rf in her Radian. She still has 4 or so inches above her head (so 2.5 inches of growing room). I have no intention of turning her until I absolutely have to. DD2 is only 18mos, so will rf for many more years. She is likely going to be taller than DD1, so I REALLY hope we get to age 4 with her too.

Melodiya99

My girls rode rf in their radians until they were 6 and 5...ever since turning they both complain about getting carsick, not having good places for their books, and their legs being uncomfortable. It's a tough life going ff!

AK Dad

I'm starting to get funny looks from people.

Well, if you're anything like me you'll take those funny looks as 1) a reason to feel really good about yourself as a parent and 2) a good conversation-starter to help educate other parents! Keep up the good work!

BTW, my oldest RF'd to 4y4mo (at 90th percentile for height)
my middle boy will probably go well into Kindergarten RF'd, and we'll see on #3 since he's over 95th percentile in both!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC