RFing vs FFing in 3rd row

Jeni-GAcpst

When you have more children than can fit in the middle row and both RFing and FFing children are present, who do you put on the 3rd row and how do you make that decision?

ADS

Jeni-GAcpst

I know sometimes it's a matter of logistics i.e. only specific seats will fit, or top tethers are only in certain locations.

But if any configuration could work, how do you view the situation?

lpperry

Whichever is easiest for me to get in there and buckle. We are having a new baby in March, so one of the 4 is going in the third row. I need 6 seats in the car, so keeping one empty in the second row for easy access isn't an option.

I was going to move my 3 year old rf to the back because she can climb in and out easily and it is much easier to buckle a rf from the hatch than a ff.

Now, my plans have changed because my 4 1/2 year old ff can buckle and unbuckle himself in his Radian! So, he is going to move to the back because it will be easier on me. I'll only have to get back there and buckle him once in awhile if straps get twisted or something.

If you are asking the question for safety reasons, I have no idea.

Syllieann

If you're talking about a full size minivan, I feel like its pretty equal. If its a mid sized SUV where the third row is scrunched in as an afterthought and a ff-ers head would be only inches from the window, I'd prefer rfer in 3rd row. That is only based on my feelings, not data.

bnsnyde

Personally, I put all my older kids in the middle row so they can hop out for school. (Though now we have a baby in the middle row too because it's easy to click her seat in).

Then in back I have the little kids who don't need to get out. RF 2 YO and a FF 4 YO. I prefer RF back there for safety, I guess. But the 4 YO is too big to RF still.

Dillipop

In our Mazda5, I have the rfer in the 3rd row since it's super easy to load and unload through the small hatch and the second row is so much friendlier with boosters than the 3rd row.

I our Sienna, when we use the 3rd row, my middle son used to sit there in a harness because he was the cause of all the fighting in the middle row. The rfer and the booster were in the middle row. When we travel now with the 2 boosters, they both go in the 3rd row because the kids are independent.

Loading a rfer into the 3rd row of the Sienna isn't too fun, imo. You stand in the well created by the stow feature and then have to raise baby way high to get her over the seat. Much easier to have independent kids there.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
I have dd in the second row and daycare kids in the third. My reasoning is purely ease of use and not really safety based. 1) It's easier to get dd in and out and since she's in it potentially seven days a week then she gets to go there. 2) She can see the dvd player. I know that seems like a silly reason but it really helps on our longer weekend trips. With her being rfing, she obviously couldn't see it from the third row. 3) I can keep the other seat empty or take the car seat out quickly if we want to sit next to dd.

In the third row, I have ff, ff, rf. I load the rf from the trunk.

MommyShannon

I have an '06 Ody, 2 rf, and 2 ff. Tethers and seats allow any config I want really. In the summer with all 4 riding all the time, I put DD3 (youngest) in the 3rd row outboard rf tethered. I don't like seats in the 3rd row rf not tethered based on the accident of a member here. Then I had DS ff center 3rd row top tethered. I figure center is safer and he entertained the baby. DD was in a booster in the 2nd row along with DD2 rf. This set up minimized fighting and I feel kept ff'ers in good spots. Now the ff'ers ride the bus to school and I have the littles riding daily. The big kids only ride twice most weeks so they are in the 3rd row. For convenience and safety since they are in the van many more times for much longer trips, I keep both rf'ers in the 2nd row.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I've got mine

Rf Rf
Ff Ff Ff

In an '09 Odyssey. If I ever need to use the plus one, I think I'd put rf kids in 3rd row and load through the back. Right now, you can be there if you can buckle and unbuckle yourself. Dd1 was buckling and unbuckling so I put her rf back there, but she had trouble more often than I realized. If she was ff I could help her from the sliding door, but I'm not telling her that. She already wants to sit ff like her brother.

Eta: explaining the extra two children. I am a nanny 3 days a week. Boys are 9y 78# in backless booster and 7yo 65# in a backless (bubblebum) most of the time, but if ds isn't with me he rides in his fr85.

seb3244

If you're talking about a full size minivan, I feel like its pretty equal. If its a mid sized SUV where the third row is scrunched in as an afterthought and a ff-ers head would be only inches from the window, I'd prefer rfer in 3rd row. That is only based on my feelings, not data.

I feel this way too

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC