Help me think through my TSA strategy?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
This isn't an install question or anything, but this seemed like the right place for this question. I am flying alone with my baby this Sunday. I will have:

1. An almost-7-month-old.
2. A stroller with car seat adapters
3. A diaper bag
4. A purse
5. An infant seat

How would you recommend I deal with security without holding up the line too much?

Here's what I am thinking:

1. Diaper bag onto conveyor belt
2. Unhook car seat and put it on the floor. Take off car seat adapters.
3. Fold stroller and put it through.
4. Take off shoes. Car seat adapters, shoes and purse go into a bin and onto the conveyor belt.
5. Take baby out of car seat. Car seat onto conveyor belt.
6. Walk through metal detector with baby.
7. Get car seat and buckle baby into it.
8. Get stroller and put on adaptors.
9. Carseat onto stroller. Grab diaper bag, purse and shoes and wheel stroller over to an areas where I can put on my shoes.

This probably seems very simple, but I hate going through security even without the gear. Does my plan seem solid? The bits that worry me are:

1. What if I can't do this fast enough and other passengers put their stuff in-between mine? What if I get separated from my purse?

2. What if the car seat (aton) and/or stroller (city mini) don't fit through the x-ray machine?

3. What if they make me do a secondary screening because I can't go through the body scanner with the infant?

Any advice/ experience would be appreciated!

ADS

creideamh

Deep breath!!!

1. I've flown a ton and have never had someone else cut in front of me when I have half of my stuff already up. Especially when you have a baby- your fellow passengers are usually much more understanding about all the gear you need to take with you.

2. If one doesn't fit (the Aton should be fine, not sure about the stroller), they'll just take it from you and hand scan it or whatever. Not complicated at all.

3. Again, flown lots and no one has glanced at sending us through just the metal detector since they can't send young children through the body scanner. My parents and brother love flying with DD and me since everyone on the itinerary gets to skip the body scanner so you're not separated. :p

Just relax, really. Yes, flying is stressful, but you practically get a pass if you're flying with a baby and are nice (and apologetic helps, whether or not it's "right" to apologize or not...it still helps.)

HTH! Safe travels!

kaharris83

My oldest is going on his 21st flight in a few weeks so I have a bit of experience with traveling with a baby. :) Also I used to work as a flight attendant, and then for TSA.

First of all planning it out and thinking about it is always so much more stressful than the actual act. I promise. Try not to worry. It will work out just fine. People come through all day long with kids by themselves. It's been a while since I traveled but last time they still had signs for family lanes, where they expect people to move more slowly due to their kids. I recommend asking the person who checks your ticket and ID if there's a lane they have set aside for that. They will gladly direct you I'm sure. We always wear our baby as I find it far easier to get through security that way. Heck we wore our 2.5 year old last time we flew to keep things easier. The Aton should fit through just fine. If the stroller doesn't fit they will hand inspect it. They will not make you go through the imager with a baby. You will only walk through the metal detector. If you are wearing your child they will also swab your hands.

When I'm flying by myself with the kids I actually stay at the end of the lane to put all my things in the bins and get myself situated. I don't let anyone rush me. If people want to go in front of me that's fine. Once I've got everything set I push my stuff into the X-ray and go through the metal detector.

You'll do great!! I promise it will go much more easily and smoothly than you anticipate. The build up is always so much worse than the actual experience.

Dillipop

When you come through with a baby, a lot of times, you'll be sent to the
handicapped/family line where everyone is taking a long time. Or they'll send you to a shorter line and then wait to send more passengers until you're sort of settled. All the airports I've been to has someone directing passengers to the different lines based on line length and needs of the passengers.

Just take a deep breath when you get to the conveyer belt and take your time. I've never had anyone say anything to me and I've flown with 2 young kids by myself with 2 carseats, stroller, and carryons. If nothing else, people were super helpful- I even had a flight attendant help me get from the airplane to the baggage claim when we arrived in SLC at midnight and I had to get those 2 kids, 2 carseats, rolling bag, and myself there. She was super awesome!

jjordan

You're overthinking it. :) Now, I'm a nice person, I promise I am, but when you're the one traveling alone with a baby, you can't be worrying all the time about how you're inconveniencing other people. You will be inconveniencing them, but they'll just have to deal with it. Apologize (once!) when it's appropriate, but don't overdo it. Let nice people help you if they offer. And just do the best you can.

I've found that it is easiest to have the baby in a very compact carrier (a pouch sling would be my choice) to travel through the airport, and just use the stroller as a fancy luggage cart.

As for putting everything through security, they have tables where you can sort of line up your stuff before it goes ono the moving belt. So wait until most or all of your stuff is ready to go and then start moving it onto the conveyor belt so that everything stays together. If possible put the stroller through first (if it fits) so that it comes out first and you can load it up with the rest of your stuff as it comes through.

Good luck!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Why do you have to take off the car seat adapters?

I totally hear you on thinking through every step though. I have such huge anxiety about getting through the airport. I'm fine with flying--it's everything leading up to sitting in my seat that I can't stand.

But no, people won't cut in front of you. And if you pay attention, you'll notice that lots of other people take a long time, too. It'll be fine.

krasota

Just be methodical and take your time. If I have an option for which lane I take, I usually opt for one to the side/against the wall rather than one directly ahead of the first-up. Sometimes an agent pulls you from the regular line and lets you go to a different waiting area or line. Sometimes you're told to go to a different aisle altogether. Just be patient--you'll figure it out.

I grab several bins and line my stuff up appropriately. Put diaper bag down, pull out any ziplocs and laptop. Unhook carseat, fold cart most of the way. Then I quickly shift them onto the conveyer belt in a row and walk through the metal detector with my child.

It usually looks like this for me:
bin w/pull bag of medicine (epi pens and inhalers) and bag of kid snacks (applesauce pouches, juiceboxes) and shoes and luggage cart
bin w/diaper bag and ergo (if agent wants me to remove it)
bin w/laptop
carseat upside down (we travel with a scenera and it works better that way, YMMV)

Any keys and change are in the diaper bag, so I don't have to empty my pockets if I have any. I pull my bins onto the nearest shoe putting-on- bench. Then I put everything away and back onto the folding cart. If my child can stay put, that's fine. If not, kid up in Ergo happens first and everything else follows. For you, that's kid in the carseat first.

Don't overthink it and don't rush. Just remember that you have plenty of time because you go there early. It's all good. People who are in a rush deliberately chose to *not* get in the line directly behind the lady with the baby--they went to another machine. And even if they did, so what? Not your problem. Stay cool, don't get flustered. Smile. Thank the agents for their patience. (The next parent will benefit.)

Dillipop

Are they still requiring removal of shoes? If so, wear something easy to slip on and off. Also, kids under 12 don't have to remove their shoes, so don't worry about removing the lo's shoes.

oliviacw

The do require taking your shoes and any jacket/sweater off, so be prepared for that. Also, put any gels/liquids (like diaper rash cream) into a sandwich sized ziplock - technically you can have one such bag per person. Put those in the top of the diaper bag so you can pull them out quickly and put them in a bin.

I usually try to put my purse through last, so that I am more likely to be through the detector before it comes through and I can grab it right away.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the support and encouragement. This has all been so stressful for me -- I don't like traveling alone without my husband anymore (I used to LOVE it when I was single), so I think that the thought of being away from my husband and partner-in-parenting is going to be hard and I am channeling some anxiety toward the flying bit. I think everything you're saying about taking deep breaths and not worrying about inconveniencing other people is helping!

Why do you have to take off the car seat adapters?

They stick out when the stroller is folded and I am just worried they'll knock against the metal detector and get damaged. When we bought them, the sales lady said that was a concern.

But no, people won't cut in front of you. And if you pay attention, you'll notice that lots of other people take a long time, too. It'll be fine.

Thank you for this. This is going to be my mantra. I never look at other people at TSA, but you're probably right. I am probably assuming that it is less socially acceptable to take time than it is because I am so focused on not taking any time!

kathysr98

They stick out when the stroller is folded and I am just worried they'll knock against the metal detector and get damaged.

I would leave them on and not put the stroller on the belt. When it's your turn, ask the person at the metal detector if it will fit if they haven't mentioned it yet. When I used my BJCE they consistently approached me and said not to put it on the belt. They would roll it through the metal detector or a side gate for hand inspection.

1mommy

When I flew with my son they let me go through the metal detector with the stroller and baby in the car seat then just hand waved it. The TSA Agent will let you know what to do. Also my diaper bag had stroller straps which I loved for carrying it through the airport, but a Mommy hook would work if you don't. Also I found it easiest to stuff my purse in the diaper bag to consolidate the amount of things I had to carry. Less things to drag on and off the plane = less chance of loosing it.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Okay, one more question if anyone sees this...

Should I put the stroller in the gate check bag when I get to the end of the jetway? Or should I already have it folded and in the bag when I get to the person who takes the ticket? I figure there's always a bit of a holdup at the end of the jetway as people move more slowly down the aisle of the plane. Is it okay to step to the side there and fold up the stroller and put it in the bag?

I feel like I just can't picture any of this! I didn't notice people with babies on flights before I had one (perhaps because it is so expensive for families to fly!) so now I feel like I've never seen anyone manage this!

1mommy

I would just fold it up at the end of the jetway, there is always a delay in boarding the plane because of people finding their seats and stowing away their luggage. There is also generally a bigger clearing right where they gate check items, so you can simply stand the side while people go around you if needed. I highly doubt someone will say something to a mom alone with a young baby about hurrying up or be rude, but if they do, just give an apologetic smile and ask them to please go around you.

Also I know its not part of your thread but are hopefully you're prepared for the actual flight part, e.g, bringing a long a bottle or be prepared to breastfeed to help your baby's ears adjust. If you want any tips for flying with the baby feel free to ask

krasota

Are they still requiring removal of shoes? If so, wear something easy to slip on and off. Also, kids under 12 don't have to remove their shoes, so don't worry about removing the lo's shoes.

Has the child thing changed in the last three years? That was one of our meltdown issues when my son was 3.5y. *sigh* He was cool with taking them off later, but he had to do so in every airport (RVA, Philly, Detroit, Indy, FLL, and a few more). I put him in Crocs for the flights because they were easy on/off.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I think it's been more than a year, but yeah, the child-shoe thing is fairly recent.

Also, older people (over 65? Something) also don't need to remove shoes and can keep on a light jacket. I'm assuming that doesn't help OP much. Just throwing it out there :p

CourtneyL

THe city mini should fit through the X-ray machine. I haven't had any problems at Bradley (BDL) or Orlando (MCO) with ours. I do know that some machines are different, so its best to ask first.

For the travel bag, I highly recommend practicing how to put the stroller in the bag. I know it sounds silly, but it fits the best if you have the stroller a certain way. (Of course I don't actually remember how it goes, so I'll have to try it before we fly next lol)

cupcakepirate11

I just walk up and say it doesnt fit (britax marathon and Bob jogger truly don't) but it's a lot easier for them to take the stroller/seats so you just have to worry about your bags.

I put everything through the scanner while my son wailed only to find out my water bottle was full and had to go through again. FUN.

So ps empty water bottles lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC