Which convertible for a newborn?

coleslawcat

My baby is three weeks old and riding in an old Keyfit. It expires soon but I was planning to use it up to the end and get a convertible for him when he was a bit bigger. Today the chest clip broke. It no longer stays latched closed. I don't know if it's from my toddler buckling and unbuckling it or if it's fatigue from heavy use (this is my fourth child in the seat) or age since it is close to expiring. Needless to say I need a new seat now. I thought about replacing the chest clip, but the whole seat expires soon so it's just not worth it.

I wear my baby most of the time so I want to go with a convertible rather than buy an infant seat to use for such a short time. He is pretty big for a newborn. He was born 9lbs 3oz, but he is swimming in my old Marathon, which also expires in the next few months so it's nog really a good solution either. I do have a Radian, but my two year old is in it and it's currently my only RF seat he still fits in. The Marathon is an old 33lb limit seat. Beyond that I have only combination seats and boosters. Winter does get cold here, but I think I'd rather cope with it than spend the money on a new infant seat.

Any ideas? My husband would prefer we not spend too much. I live in a smallish city with Target, Kohls, and Walmart for stores that carry seats. I could order online or drove up to BBB or BRU but that would require me using the Keyfit with the chest clip that won't stay fastened in the meantime. I'll add that I don't like the Radian. I use the one I have, but I hate installing it RF and would rather not buy another one since there are so many other seats put there. I drive a Sienna and the baby sits in a captains chair so size isn't really an issue.

ADS

Stelvis

I love the newer gen Britax for newborns. It's awesome. Of course if he's going to be tall, it might not be a great long term solution. The Nextfit would be a good choice, the MyRide also fits newborns well, as does the Pria.

coleslawcat

I would love a Nextfit. I wonder if I can talk my husband into it. I can actually pick that up locally too. Does the new line of Graco seats fit newborns well? The Size4me line? I might need a lower price point backup if he balks at the price of the Nextfit.

Stelvis

I would love a Nextfit. I wonder if I can talk my husband into it. I can actually pick that up locally too. Does the new line of Graco seats fit newborns well? The Size4me line? I might need a lower price point backup if he balks at the price of the Nextfit.

I think it fits larger newborns okay, but not as well as the MyRide? I'm not certain on that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC