Middle / Center of Honda Odyssey third row "magic" seat

U

User123456

Can I put a front facing car seat in the CENTER / MIDDLE of the third row ("Magic" seat) of a new (2011 - 2014) Honda odyssey securely using any method at all (seat belts, etc)? Does anyone on this message board have personal experience with that?

My wife and I are looking to buy a new Honda Odyssey (2013 or 2014) and we have a toddler (almost 3 yr old) who uses a Graco convertible forward facing seat (I think it's the GRACO MySize 70 from Babies R Us) and we are going to have another baby in January (we will probably use a Chicco KeyFit 30 for the infant in the middle row center facing backwards).

I have read (and been told) many times that the middle / center position is always the safest spot to put a car seat (because of possible injuries due to side-impact collisions).

Because the middle positions are the safest, I'd like to put my newborn in the center of the 2nd row of the new minivan and our 3-yr old in the center of the third row ("magic" seat). The problem is, there are only 2 LATCH positions in the third / magic row of the odyssey and neither of them is in the middle.

So - anyone have any luck putting the Graco MySize 70 or any similar front facing seat in the middle of the 2011-2014 Odyssey 3rd row using seat belts / hooks / whatever?

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Does that 3rd row center position have a top tether? It appears to from a video I watched about the magic seat. The seat would be safe installed with a seatbelt instead of LATCH in that middle position of the 3rd row, but would be safest if it could also be top tethered.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the quick response!

I think the 2011-2014 Odyssey does have a belt which comes from the ceiling. Does anyone here know for sure?

I know it has a hook on the back of the third row "magic" seat which makes me think it might be ok to put a child seat in the middle of the third row.

I guess I'm a little surprised I haven't heard more people discussing the need to put two children in separate rows in any vehicle so they can both be in middle seats.

thepote

Thanks for the quick response!

I think the 2011-2014 Odyssey does have a belt which comes from the ceiling. Does anyone here know for sure?

I know it has a hook on the back of the third row "magic" seat which makes me think it might be ok to put a child seat in the middle of the third row.

I guess I'm a little surprised I haven't heard more people discussing the need to put two children in separate rows in any vehicle so they can both be in middle seats.

Hi,
As long as the belt geometry works with the particular seat you are installing, the ceiling belts are fine to use for installation. Honda has a lower anchor LATCH limit of 40lbs child weight. Otherwise you'd use the seatbelt and top tether together.

As for having both children in the middle in each row, your vehicle and proper car seat use are inherently very safe. Having a child outboard is not something safety advocates take issue with. The center position is marginally safer, but is recommended only if it will work for each particular situation. In the case of center seating positions, issues of convenience with pickup/drop off, other passengers, etc. are real-world considerations that need to be accommodated for.

That being said, if your middle seating position setup works for you, by all means, go for it. :)

canadiangie

In terms of keeping your oldest child best protected in a motor vehicle, I would focus more on the direction he's facing, rather than the seating position he is in. At 2 years old (almost 3 is still 2) he would be much, much safer if he was rear facing. Being in an outboard seating position, and rear facing, in a correctly used seat, is so inherently protective in a side impact crash I wouldn't think twice. Then add the fact that he's in one of the safest vehicles on the road, and well, we're edging towards bubble territory. :)

He is still at an age where rear facing is beneficial, so that would be my focus, personally. I would seat my newborn 2nd row middle, and my 2 year old 2nd row passenger or driver side, depending on lifestyle/convenience.

seb3244

Congrats on your new baby coming!

http://www.carseatnanny.blogspot.com/2012/01/is-rear-facing-safer-when-youre-rear.html?m=1

Above I have posted a link to a blog. Someone on this forum so kindly sent this to me. My baby girl is 15 months old & before seeing the link I have pasted our rear facing goal was age 2 and now that I have read this article on carseatnanny our rear facing goal is as close to age 4 as possible or rear facing until daughter reaches the weight limit on her seat rear facing.

Hope this helps you :)

Linqdz

I have a 2014 Odyssey (love love love it), and I just went into the manual to look for you. The manual shows a tether anchorage point in all seats in both rows. (I'm not a tech, so I won't speak to anything else. I'm only stating what the car manual shows)

U

Unregistered

Thank you all so much! I'm going to try the third row middle with our 2yr-old's car seat at the dealership prior to purchase, but based on your responses, it sounds like we are ok.

As for rear facing vs front facing, we really wanted her to be rear facing, but she was outgoing her chicco key fit 30 in our 2011 Acura MDX and we tried several car seats at babies r us prior to selecting this front facing one. The issue was we couldn't find a secure fit (rear facing) with any of them in any position which would still allow me to adjust the driver's seat in a position which would accommodate me & give her a secure fit.

In my opinion, Honda has done a very poor job with drivers seats for even average sized American males (or anyone over 5'9"). Anyway, this isn't the right forum for that, but we had a hard time finding a carseat which would accommodate our daughter's legs & my legs. There are issues with the odyssey as well (footrest is too high), but we can work around that.

cso1997

In my opinion, Honda has done a very poor job with drivers seats for even average sized American males (or anyone over 5'9"). Anyway, this isn't the right forum for that, but we had a hard time finding a carseat which would accommodate our daughter's legs & my legs. There are issues with the odyssey as well (footrest is too high), but we can work around that.

My husband is 6'2 and fits comfortably with a rear facing seat behind him. The trick is to install the seat more upright for an older child than you would for an infant. Currently, we have a Clek Foonf that easily fits behind him and is at a nice recline angle for my 2.5 year old. I am sorry to hear that you had trouble finding a seat to work. We actually have more trouble installing a rear facing seat behind him in our 2011 Ford Explorer. The Odyssey second row is roomy in comparison.

emntheboys

...we tried several car seats at babies r us prior to selecting this front facing one.
I wanted to point out that the MySize 70 is a convertible seat- you can use it forward or rear facing. Graco also makes the Nautilus and Argos which are forward facing only seats.

Since your little one is older, you can install her seat more upright to give more room to the front row. We have a Pilot which has less 2nd row room than the Odyssey and my 6ft husband is fine with my daughter's rearfacing seat behind him. Give it a try- you may be surprised! :)

smileyblue4

If you do in fact have a convertible car seat (can be used rear- or forward-facing), the great news about your plan to seat both children in the 2nd and 3rd row middle seats is that legroom for you becomes a nonissue and you can revisit rear-facing your toddler. :) If you find having a child in the 3rd row is inconvenient, or need luggage space for a trip and are going to fold down the 3rd row, you can put one child's seat 2nd row middle, one seat outboard passenger side, and again, lots of legroom for the driver's seat. I love our Odyssey because there are so many options for seating, among other reasons.

U

Unregistered

Britax told me their Frontier can not be belt secured in the center third row seat with a ceiling belt (I have a '11 Ody). Any other feedback on this?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC