Question Vent/Question/Cry For Help: Need solutions for carseat woes

Dorothy

I know some of you have already weighed in on some of this. I need more help thinking this through, though.

DD (5.5 yo, 37#, 43") is currently in a Pioneer 70. She is a total noodle when she sleeps and, despite the harness being properly tightened per the pinch test, manages to hang so far forward her head is not at all contained within the shell. Like, i pulled over the other day to reposition her, because her whole head was almost on the door. Eeek! Of course, that is without the recline. She hasn't fallen asleep since I reinstalled it in recline mode, but I will say that do not like the install in recline mode outboard as the vehicle headrest pushes carseat forward a bit/interferes with the carseat headrest in certain positions.

DS (3.5 yo, 33#, 39") is currently rfing in a Radian 80SL with Angle Adjuster. We are experiencing tipping from the locked shoulder belt pulling up on the one side of the belt path. There are no lower anchors in this position, nor is there adequate room for a locking clip. It drives me crazy!

I can't rearrange for various reasons. So, I am wondering if different seats would be worth it to preserve some of what's left of my sanity. Vehicle is an '05 Silverado Crew Cab with leather. I had planned to keep DS rfing to 4 yo/through the winter. DD has the maturity for a booster but can't buckle no thanks to my stiff, backward-leaning buckle stalks. Also, there's the whole sleep-noodle thing. So, she'll probably be harnessed for a bit yet. One more factor: I might be FINALLY getting a Flex next spring/summer.

While I don't want to spend anything on a new set of seats, at what point is it worth it? Should I just deal until next year? If I just can't deal, what should I look at?

Ugh! I'm so indecisive/consider! Help! Please. :blushing:

Sent using the app. :)

ADS

Pixels

How can there not be room for a locking clip? The clip can be on the edge of the belt path, or in the belt path.

Another option would be to put the boychild in the Frontier and the girlchild in the Radian. She might not slump so much, or it might fit your vehicle better.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Did you try installing it with a tiny bit of movement? I didn't see an update on that.

I personally understand where you are. I just replaced my 2004 explorer with an odyssey. After fighting to get three in the third row, I want to sell the ody and fix my explorer. :( of course that isn't going to happen so I'm probably going to buy two bubble bums. Wish the incognito was out. I guess, all that to day that I would consider different seats if I knew they'd last.

Dorothy

Did you try installing it with a tiny bit of movement? I didn't see an update on that.

I personally understand where you are. I just replaced my 2004 explorer with an odyssey. After fighting to get three in the third row, I want to sell the ody and fix my explorer. :( of course that isn't going to happen so I'm probably going to buy two bubble bums. Wish the incognito was out. I guess, all that to day that I would consider different seats if I knew they'd last.

Thanks for making me feel not quite so crazy. :)

Installing it a bit looser does help the tipping but doesnt fix it entirely. And, even though I know a little movement is okay, it bothers me that it *seems* loose. So, it helped one percieved problem but created another.

I know its all silly...

Posted using the app. :)

Pixels

I see nothing wrong with your original pictures in that thread.

There is no restriction against locking clip on the corner of the belt path. My son's seat has been installed that way for months. The only restriction is not having the buckle on the edge of the belt path, and that is because pressure against the side of the buckle can cause the buckle to pop open in a crash.

Dorothy

I see nothing wrong with your original pictures in that thread.

There is no restriction against locking clip on the corner of the belt path. My son's seat has been installed that way for months. The only restriction is not having the buckle on the edge of the belt path, and that is because pressure against the side of the buckle can cause the buckle to pop open in a crash.

Well, being able to use a LC would certainly solve one of my issues.

Posted using the app. :)

Athena

Have you tried removing the vehicle head rest behind the Pioneer? I know that's what Britax recommends when that happens with their Parkway, it's certainly allowed for their other seats, and that's what we do with our Frontiers.

Also, have you tried pushing down hard (pissibly with your knee) when installing the Radian to stop the tipping. I've had seats end up leaning towards the door if I don't do this because the shoulder belt can pull them up if I'm not careful.

Sorry if these are old suggestions. I don't have time right now to read it all. I hope you're able to get this figured out. This can be so frustrating.

Dorothy

I appreciate all suggestions at this point! :)

I have tried the Radian as rock solid as I could get it, sightly loose (but still less than 1" if movement @ belt path) and everywhere in between. Part of the problem is the side bolster on the bottom seat cushion slightly lifting the edge of the AA on the retractor side. So, I'm truly fighting an up hill battle! ;)

I have not yet trued to remive the vehicle headrest. There's no button to remove it, but I suspect the pin hole by the post receptical might facilitate unlocking it. I need to get my vehicle manual out to investigate further.

Posted using the app. :) Sorry for all the typos!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC