3 across in '01 Passat or '98 CR-V??

Kezoo

We are now expecting #3 (yay!), but based on some preliminary measurements, we're thinking that we may need to get TWO new cars, something we weren't planning on... :( So, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for 3 compatible seats or if anyone has done 3 across in either a 2001 VW Passat or 1998 Honda CR-V? By the time this baby shows up next April, my oldest will be 5, and #2 will be almost 3. We currently have all Britax seats: 1 Parkway, 2 Marathons and 1 Roundabout, and would obviously love to keep these seats and get a seat for the new baby that would work with them (although I can't remember the weight/height limits for the Roundabout...). Oh, and BTW, the baby's seat doesn't *have* to be an infant seat - I'm perfectly happy w/ a convertible RF seat if that works best. Suggestions?

ADS

drey

I am not sure if the '01 is the same as the '04 Passat, but I've managed to get 3-across in my '04. Marathon passenger outboard LATCHed, Radian center, and a Cosco something-or-other driver outboard w/ seatbelt. All 3 were FF, though, but it still might give you hope for having 3-across in your Passat!! You could do MA outboard FF for the 5-yo (stats?), Radian center for the 3-yo (again, stats?), & the baby outboard... I would not be sure of getting the 3-across if the Radian weren't in the center.

Kezoo

Thanks for the reply. I'm also not sure if the '01 is the same as the '04, but the '01 does NOT have full LATCH - it only has the upper tether points for all 3 seat position, so all seats must be belted. Right now, my 4.5 y.o. is about 44lbs, 41" tall, and my 2 y.o. is small - 25lbs, 34". No idea how big they'll be next April! Both are FF. I was thinking that the infant will need to be in an outboard position, as it would be next to impossible to extract the bucket from inbetween the other 2 seats and maneuver it out of the car!!!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
This is talking about the CR-V...but probably also the Passat, except the Passat has top tethers....If you have the seats, have you tried them? Sometimes that's the only way to know for sure...but i'm thinking the Marathon in the middle forward facing (ugh, crumb, no top tether can be installed there... well, it's not technically necessary..or try a Radian, it doesn't need a top tether for extremely good crash performance), the roundabout on one side rearfacing (birth to 40 pounds, but might be close to expiring, remember they are only good for 6 years), and the parkway on the other side.

Ali

We have a 2001 CRV. I believe it was the same design as the 98. We have a RF MA in the center and a RF Evenflo Titan outboard passenger side. I'm sure I could fit the same width seat on the drivers side.

HTH

sirrahn

We have an '02 Passat wagon and it was our "big" car until #3 was 14 months old. We had a rfing RA behind the passenger, ffing MA in the middle and Starriser Comfy behind the driver. Mine does have LATCH, but we used seatbelt installations. The booster has to go behind the driver because of how the seatbelt buckles overlap, but it wasn't too bad. I know the Parkway is a little wider than the SR/C, but maybe the lack of armrests will allow it to still work.

GL!

Kezoo

We have an '02 Passat wagon and it was our "big" car until #3 was 14 months old. We had a rfing RA behind the passenger, ffing MA in the middle and Starriser Comfy behind the driver. Mine does have LATCH, but we used seatbelt installations. The booster has to go behind the driver because of how the seatbelt buckles overlap, but it wasn't too bad. I know the Parkway is a little wider than the SR/C, but maybe the lack of armrests will allow it to still work.

GL!

Thanks ladies! We can give it a try tomorrow w/ the Parkway, MA & RA (RF) in both cars. Based on the amount of space between the RA & MA in my Passat right now (which looks to be about 9" LOL), I didn't hold out much hope! So if that works, then we just need to buy another booster for Gavin (who will be 5 by April) and another RA (for the new baby), and Claire (the 2 y.o. will be in both MAs). :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC