2 questions

nkinney84

Ok too questions.....1) My dd is rf in a roundabout 55. I just had to move the straps up to the next slot and now they seem to wide on her shoulders. I have the chest clip at armpit height should I move the straps back down? I really dislike this seat so dies dd but a new one is not in the budget right now.
2)My ds is 5 1/2 he rides harnessed in a nautilus we are moving to Oklahoma and the carseat law there is under 6 (please correct me if wrong) are there any statistics or advisement that will help me make his dad see it isn't safe to put him in a seatbelt only. He is 40lbs and 40"

Thanks

ADS

Mags462

Hi there! :) Let me be the first to welcome you to Oklahoma before you even arive ;)

As for your questions:

1. When rear facing the harness straps should be below the shoulders. So no matter which slot you use, make sure the harness straps are coming from behind her shoulders and up and over them. Not starting out above them. (this changes when children forward face - then the straps should be above their shoulders). As long as the straps are actually ON her shoulders, even if it seems slightly wider than the last set, and the straps are also coming from below her shoulders you should be fine leaving them where they are.

2. The law in OK states the following:

Children five (5) years old or younger must be properly restrained in either a child car seat or a booster seat appropriate for their height and weight. Children ages six (6) through twelve (12) must be properly restrained in either a child car seat, booster seat, or seat belt. Properly restrained means that the restraint system is correctly installed and being used in accordance with the seat manufacturer's instructions.

There are lots and lots of helpful resources out there statistics wise showing that properly restrained children are significantly safer. Here is just one published set of data regarding the increased safety proper restraints can give children.

Do a quick search on youtube as well for some video simulations of what happens to children in various restraint types during a crash. :)

babyherder

A 6 year old cannot be properly restrained in a seat belt alone. According to the law he needs to be properly restrained until he is 12. For the next several years that will require a harness or a booster.

nkinney84

Thanks everyone,
I am all for keeping him harnessed and/or in a booster as long as needed. My husband thinks I'm overprotective so was looking to show him it's not just me it's a safety issue. His brothers kid is barely 3 rides in a lbb so of course being the stubborn man he is he thinks that I'm being crazy. I am appalled his niece is in a lbb and has been for months.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC