Question Shoulder Belt distance from body with booster seat

U

Unregistered

DD is 6, 50 + lbs, tall for her age (sorry, I don't have her height here - but she is a big 6 yr old). She's been riding in an Evenflo Booster high back booster seat in the back seat of our minivan, but I just became aware that her lap belt did not fit properly. It was riding up over her abdomen instead of across her upper thighs. We have headrests on all our seats, so I tried removing the high back. This improved the fit, but I felt like it was still riding up on her belly a bit. So I tried moving her to the second row captain's chair. I reclined the seat just a tad, and the lap belt now fits really well - just across her upper thighs like the pictures show. The shoulder belt is also in the right spot in that it's not too close to her neck and it's not too low. However, it seems like the shoulder belt is now further away from her body - aligned properly, but not right up against her body like it was in the back seat. I did not try using the little clip that can be used to align the shoulder belt.

Is the shoulder belt distance from the body something to be concerned with, or am I just looking for it to be aligned correctly? I hope this makes sense. If it is a concern, any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

ADS

babyherder

Can you post of picture of your daughter in her booster? Cover or blur her face if you don't want it online. That will help us see the overall fit and let you know how it is.

myanmamomma

Second row cap'n chair. Dodge Grand Caravan 2007.

Attachments

• image-2971083679.jpg
    image-2971083679.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 41
  • image-3633450195.jpg
    image-3633450195.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image-3738332718.jpg
    image-3738332718.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 38
  • image-4063061414.jpg
    image-4063061414.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 38
  • image-2738475759.jpg
    image-2738475759.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 37

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The shoulder belt isn't that bad, but putting her back into a highback would solve the problem. It almost looks like she's slouching, especially in the 2nd picture.

There are better fitting boosters; the Graco TurboBooster may work better for her or the Britax Parkway. I'd try putting the back portion back on your booster to see how it affects the fit first. For a child that young, I prefer highback boosters anyway. It helps reinforce the notion of sitting properly for them.

thepote

I agree, it's "off" enough that I wouldn't be comfortable if I had other options. That seating position is a tough one with the belt coming from the wall across the empty space. How does she look in the other captains chair?

I think the recline of the back of the seat encourages slouch....I would not do that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC