Question for friend (TOddler undoing harness/belt)

ZacsMom

I have a friend who's almost 3 year old has figured out how to get out of her carseat and has been getting out constantly. She keeps having to pull over and buckle her back in and is very worried about this.
She is about 37 inches tall 35lbs currently in an evenflo titan 5 convertible and her mom doesn't know what to do. She's contemplating getting her the graco turbo booster so she cant' undo the seatbelt.
Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks

ADS

scatterbunny

A booster is truly the worst solution for a "Houdini" kid. Unbuckling a seatbelt is much easier than unbuckling a harness--only one buckle to mess with! And a not-quite 3yo has absolutely no business in a booster. 4 years old and 40 pounds is the bare minimum a child should move to a booster, and most kids are not really mature enough to sit properly in a booster at all times until kindergarten-age (5-6). A booster will provide no protection if the child is leaning out of position or has unbuckled. Giving the escape artist child more freedom in the car is not the solution.

Unfortunately it is mostly a discipline issue at this point. Being firm and consistent is the key. It is a phase that will pass eventually. At almost 3, I began showing my daughter crash test dummy videos of harnessed seats and boosters, and vehicle crash-testing. I explained to her in simple terms that her seat was to keep her safe, because if she wasn't in her harness she would be seriously hurt (as evidenced by the videos showing child crash test dummies flying all over the vehicle when improperly restrained).

This is definitely a tough issue, and I'm not trying to dismiss it or take it lightly, not at all. It's just that a booster is not an option for this child.

http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q31

As an aside, have your friend check where her child's shoulders are in relation to the Titan's top slots. If shoulders are over the top slots the seat is outgrown, regardless of overall weight. Even if the child's shoulders are still below the top slots, at 35 pounds and not yet 3, it might be wise to begin researching higher weight harnessing seats. :)

jaded

A different seat can do the trick too, she may want to look into the Evenflo Chase(or whatever the name of it is now), with the harness adjuster on the harness, it is more difficult for a child to get out of than other seats.

Also, I've had a Titan, and I can't see how a 3 year old could possibly still fit in that seat, especially at 37 inches tall. The baby I put into the seat at 11 months is probably only going to last until he's 2 in the seat, but it was still better than the forward facing infant seat his mom had him in.

Kat_Momof3

I couldn't agree more with Jenny... the worst thing in the world for a houdini child is a booster.

a seatbelt is easier to release.

Instead, making sure the seat fits and is properly adjusted is crucial.

after that, it's all a discipline issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC