Getting two Radians through an airport by myself?

shelbyscout

I love our Radians but they are so danged HEAVY. Esp. DD's newest one. I will be traveling across the country with 5yo DS, and 2yoDD. I will be renting a car at our destination and do not want to check the seats either as luggage or at the gate. My mother will be coming along to wrangle the children themselves but she isn't strong enough to maneuver one of the seats. I have a bad back, so attempting to carry one of those seats as a backpack is a no-go. I've never been able to successfully balance or strap one to a roller bag by myself. Is there some kind of secret or contraption that can get us through? We also have a Maestro for DS that I could take instead of his Radian--more bulky but much lighter and maybe easier to attach to something? Any suggestions?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
A luggage cart is a great idea, but it might be cumbersome to haul both seats on the luggage cart. Seeing that you can't carry one as a backpack, though, this might be the best option.

If you are able to wear one as a backpack (don't hurt yourself!), you could strap your 2yo in her seat to a luggage cart, then carry the other and have your 5yo walk.

If not, I'd strap both to the luggage cart (try them folded AND unfolded to see which works better).

jnamommy

A good luggage cart works great. I bungeed the seats right to the cart, I found that works better than tryig to strap them to a rolly suitcase. You could either do two luggage carts (then other carryons or kids could use them like a stroller), or you could put one on the luggage cart open, then try attaching the scond one folded on top of the unfolded one.

NVMBR02

I generally wore one of my back (sometimes wearing a child in the front) and attached the other to a carry on suitcase. My older dd was 3+ at that point and fine to talk through an airport.

When I was pregnant with my 3rd I could not carry the Radian for a long period of time without causing a lot of BH so I used the luggage cart. I folded one and strapped it on the car with a bungee cord then strapped the other one on unfolded, also using a bungee cord. It was stable and not too difficult. Using a folded Radian and then the Maestro would also be a good option.

I have also strapped the seats to a stroller, worn a baby and had other kids walk when I needed a stroller at my destination.

shelbyscout

You guys are awesome--thank you so much! I'm going to try the luggage cart and walk around the block with it to see how it goes. Thank you!!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
You guys are awesome--thank you so much! I'm going to try the luggage cart and walk around the block with it to see how it goes. Thank you!!

Great idea to practice! :)

I had to get a heavier duty luggage cart when I hauled my Radian (with a kid in it, though). My Target cart couldn't hold up. :eek: I bought one like this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-Conair-Heavy-Duty-Luggage/dp/B0020MMCNO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377024185&sr=8-2&keywords=luggage+cart"]one[/ame] and added some heavy-duty bungee cords.

Eclipsepearl

I have a bad back too so I too, can't even think about carrying even one Radian.

If you put the first one on opened up, secure with a bungee to the cart and then put the second one, this one folded, in the seat portion, this should work. If you're bringing a stroller, have your mom push that.

Be sure to use both seats on the aircraft to get them there safely. The luggage cart should be stowed under the seat in front of one of your children. Please don't put it in the overhead bin.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I can't imagine wearing one, they're so heavy, and with all the other inevitable crap that one carts through an airport...it just sounds awful!

I have very successfully, more than once, done this. It's just a cheap Walmart luggage cart. Experiment ahead of time to see how many and what size bungee you'll need to secure it. http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2402687&postcount=4

If you centre the seats and they're secure you can roll right down the aisle like this.

T4K

If hauling two, I would get a Magna Cart. I think they can be found at Costco or on Amazon. They are a little more sturdy than an average luggage cart. I would also get some bungees to secure them on the cart. Depending on how old your kids are, you can look into backpack leashes. :eek:

mayasmommy

How much driving are you doing at your destination? It is local only, or on the highway? How big is your 5 year old? Tiny or husky? Mature or all over the place?

I only ask because we recently travelled to Mexico with our two kids. We have a Radian and a Britax BLVD. I couldn't imagine lugging the two seats all through the airport, so we decided that since our only local driving would be the taxi to/from the airport that we would bring the Radian for 2 year old DS to use on the plane and in the taxi, and bought and inexpensive backless booster for DD to use. This was checked in a luggage (packed around it), but it could just as easily have gone in an overhead bin.

If you don't like the idea of a backless, there are some high back boosters that come apart. You won't be able to use it on the plane, but can take it apart and put it an overhead bin.

Of course, this would only work if your 5 year old is developmentally ready for a high back booster, and/or you don't plan to do a TON of highway driving at your destination.

Eclipsepearl

The problem with a Magna Cart is that it probably doesn't fit down the aisle of the plane. It's so nice, especially with my bad back, to NOT have to carry the Radian down the aisle. I simply rolled it to my seat.

Look at some normal luggage carts first because most go at least to 70lbs, if not much more. The Radian is 25lbs, if I remember correctly, so you're still probably well under the limit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC