Which convertible seat would you recommend?

ama223

DD is 8 months, about 20lbs and about 26". We plan on rear-facing for awhile and need a new seat since DS1 and DS2's have expired. We had marathons with them and was going to go with those but thought I'd ask if there's something else out there that is better/safer?

I have a 2008 Sienna, 7 passenger. 2nd row are bucket seats where one can be moved so it's sort of in the middle. That's where DD is now in her infant carseat.

I'm not concerned with price.

Thanks!

ADS

babygirlsmom1005

As far as "safer", all car seats pass the same testing, so if they are sold on the market, they are safe as long as they fit your child/vehicle and used properly 100% of the time. There is no one is safer than the other due to it is a pass/fail system.

The Britax seats are expensive and have short shells, which means they are outgrown by height faster (though at 26 inches and 8 months, sounds like you have a shorter child on your hands). What are some features you are looking for in a seat?

ama223

As far as "safer", all car seats pass the same testing, so if they are sold on the market, they are safe as long as they fit your child/vehicle and used properly 100% of the time. There is no one is safer than the other due to it is a pass/fail system.

The Britax seats are expensive and have short shells, which means they are outgrown by height faster (though at 26 inches and 8 months, sounds like you have a shorter child on your hands). What are some features you are looking for in a seat?

I might be way off on height.. I was kind of guessing since we haven't been to the Dr in awhile.. LOL Assume she will be tall though, DH is 6'8" and my boys are off the charts for height :)

I really am looking for safety, something comfy for her. And I'd love a girl print if it comes in one but obviously that's the least of the concerns!

babygirlsmom1005

With the possibility of a taller child, I would recommend:
Graco MySize 70/Headwise 70/ Size4Me
Chicco Nextfit
Diono Radian R100, R120 or RXT

Those 3 have the taller shells and minimum 40 lbs rear facing (the Radian R120 & RXT both rear face to 45 lbs) plus taller top harness slots for forward facing than the Britax convertibles have.

For under $100 you can look at the Evenflo SureRide & the Safety First Guide 65 - both of those rear face to 40 lbs and harness to 65 lbs (and have very tall top harness slots).

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
With the possibility of a taller child, I would recommend:
Graco MySize 70/Headwise 70/ Size4Me
Chicco Nextfit
Diono Radian R100, R120 or RXT

Those 3 have the taller shells and minimum 40 lbs rear facing (the Radian R120 & RXT both rear face to 45 lbs) plus taller top harness slots for forward facing than the Britax convertibles have.

For under $100 you can look at the Evenflo SureRide & the Safety First Guide 65 - both of those rear face to 40 lbs and harness to 65 lbs (and have very tall top harness slots).

I absolutely agree with these recommendations. :)

The only other seat I might add is the Clek Foonf, but it is very expensive (I know you said you aren't worried about price, but I just wanted to point it out) and also sits high up on a tall base (this bothers some people, but not others).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC