NextFit or Primo Viaggio SIP 5-70

athuyghe

I have it narrowed down to the Chicco Next Fit and Primo Viaggio SIP 5-70. I've tried both in my car (2011 Town and Country captain seat) and they both fit well size and usability wise. The Chicco doesn't need a noodle, which I like. The Peg Perego does. Is the Chicco safer because of that?

The Peg has a nice pad under the crotch buckle. The Chicco doesn't. The Peg has comfortable shoulder pads. The Chicco pads seem less comfortable. My 1 yr old doesn't seem to be bothered by either of these things in the Chicco, but he's only sat in it in the store for a few minutes. Any opinions on this???

The Chicco has a life of 8 yrs and 65 lbs. The Peg has a life of 7 yrs and 70 lbs. Which will come first - pounds or years? My 1 yr old is now about 20 lbs and 30 inches (23rd and 28th %tile respectively).

Anyone have any experiences to share regarding my concerns???:)

ADS

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
The Chicco is not safer because it doesn't use the noodle, but possibly easier to install.

I believe that the Chicco will last a bit longer in height which is how children typically outgrow the seat first. If you are planning on more children and 8 year expiration may be better.

I would get the one that you feel would be a better fit for your family in the long run. If you are bothered by the harness covers and lack of crotch pad on the Chicco and think that after more than a couple minutes in the seat this would bother your child go with the Peg.

Have you looked at the maxi cosi pria? It is another seat that is very well padded.

Basically they are both great seats it just comes down to what you prefer in a seat.

athuyghe

I've looked at the Maxi Cosi Pria. I like everything about it except the chest clip. I don't know if it's just me, but it is difficult to undo with one hand... Same with all the nice Gracos. :)

YinzerMama

I love the idea of the pria but I can't stand Dorel's harness clips and buckles.

I'm kind of obsessed with these two seats right now. I have a classic marathon that will expire next year. I love the nextfit except for the harness/pads. I really hope they will later claim you can use it without the pads. I'm using my 5yo girls as test dummies and the straps are just so close to their neck and the pad backs are so sticky - horrible for little girls with long hair. And the straps are really close together compared to other big kid seats. The seat is so so awesome otherwise. Tons of leg room. Reasonably padded. Easy to install.

For me the Peg doesn't offer enough benefits over my Marathon to snap one up now but if I can catch a deal closer to when my seat expires (so I can resell with more life, to justify - or have a better idea how long it will last me rf) and chicco doesn't make changes to those pads - I might. If I were starting from scratch now, I'd get one.

I want to love the chicco but those neck pads are just bad news IMO.

athuyghe

The Chicco is not safer because it doesn't use the noodle, but possibly easier to install.

Tried both seats again today. The Peg seems easier to use and seems to fit my son best, but I still have an "issue" with the noodle thing. Which brings up more questions/comments on that...

~ The purpose of the noodle is to achieve the proper seat recline angle?
~ What is the proper angle?
~ Is the "proper" recline angle necessary for ALL RFing no matter the age/size, or only/mainly for newborns/infants due to lack of neck muscle development?

Thanks for your help! (I'll probably have more questions once I get some answers! :))

jacqui276

Tried both seats again today. The Peg seems easier to use and seems to fit my son best, but I still have an "issue" with the noodle thing. Which brings up more questions/comments on that...

~ The purpose of the noodle is to achieve the proper seat recline angle?
~ What is the proper angle?
~ Is the "proper" recline angle necessary for ALL RFing no matter the age/size, or only/mainly for newborns/infants due to lack of neck muscle development?

Thanks for your help! (I'll probably have more questions once I get some answers! :))

For newborns/infants without strong neck muscles, you need about a 45 degree angle so that you don't risk airway issues with them being more upright. Different seats have different requirements for the range of the angle. Some are from 45 degrees to 35 degrees, some HAVE to be with a line or ball at a certain spot base on the angle (generally 45 degrees), some can be more upright than 35 degrees, and something like the foonf is always more upright than 45 degrees so can not be used for infants less than 6 months/sitting unassisted. So for a nice vague answer, the "proper" recline angle is whatever the manual for that particular seat tells you it is. I don't think that any standard seats all you to recline them greater than 45 degrees.

The purpose of the noodles is to achieve a proper recline but not all seats let you use pool noodles. The seats that do not allow pool noodles to achieve a greater recline generally can achieve the proper recline without them but there are always some cars where the slope of the seat makes this more challenging/impossible. You can change the angle of the seat too sometimes with how you install it (such as pushing down near where the child has their feet when tightening to get a more upright install).

With your child being a year old and I'm assuming with good neck control, being more upright than 45 degrees is perfectly acceptable as long as the seat allows it (which the peg does).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC