Carseat for tiny Special needs child

U

Unregistered

We are looking to buy a car seat for our son who is 22 months old and 13lbs 22inches long. He is tiny and has a feeding tube, PEG, he also has Cerebral Palsy and as a result has low muscle tone not yet walking or cruising barely crawling and has difficulty sitting up.

Obviously he is RF and will be for some time, as long as possible.

We would love something that could hold his feeding bag pump etc, something to hang the bag somehow. He has difficulty regulating his body heat so something that is cooler would be great.

Currently he has a Sunshine Radian XT, but it's getting to the expiry date and is very uncomfortable for him and makes him over heat it seems.

What would you recommend? We like the look of the Diono RXT, Primo V convertible, Safety 1st Advance or Elite Air, or Recaro Proride

ADS

PikkuMyy

I would take a look at the Snugli all-in-one seat.

http://www.snugli.com/all-in-one-car-seats/

It is essentially an Evenflo Symphony but the Snugli seat has the Outlast fabric which would help with regulating his temperature. The Symphony generally accommodates small infants well so it should also provide him a good fit and body support!

I believe there was a review of the Snugli seat on CarSeatBlog as well.

soph's mom

I would think as little as he is a combi coccoro may work, be cool, soft to the touch, and is both compact and light... It's not one you listed but he actually sounds like a decent candidate for it.

vlswager

We have the Evenflo Symphony 65 (Snugli coungterpart) for our CP daughter with g-tube and we LOVE it. She's a bit bigger than your son - 21mo 22lbs & 30.5"- but has plenty of RF room left. It doesn't have a good spot to hang her bag from, but we just use the overhead handle by the door (she's in a captain's chair in a Sedona). We had her in a Keyfit 30 as her main seat until she was about 18 months and she got fed up with the recline, but that was a super good fit for her too. Hope you find something that works!

henrietta

Could it work to hang the feeding bag/pump on a ribbon or loop of something attached to the headrest next to his seat or on the back of your seat? It might even be able to be more secure w/a loop of elastic run around your seat to keep it from flopping around on turns.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Could it work to hang the feeding bag/pump on a ribbon or loop of something attached to the headrest next to his seat or on the back of your seat? It might even be able to be more secure w/a loop of elastic run around your seat to keep it from flopping around on turns.

That's a good idea. :) The rear-facing seat would help keep it "down" in an accident, too.

Shaunam

Use a load bearing carabiner clip to hold his pump to the front seat headrest or some other spot if the headrests are fixed.

I would add the graco my ride to your list of possible seats, although I'm not really sure how that does with regulating body temp. My daughter has always had body temp issues, but I just blast the air and call it good. LOL

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I think many seats would work fit wise.

As far as a cooler seat, the Radian would be near the top of my list because of it's low/open sides.

Also:
Look for light colored fabric.
Consider using cooling towels/chilly pads (the ones you wet and wring out) to help with temp control.
I'm well aware of the concern of projectiles, but an inexpensive battery operated "personal" fan - many have foam blades and are very lightweight - could be zip tied on to something in the car keep air moving for DS.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC