Need advice on infant seat situation

SheBro

Ok. With DS I had a SR (travel system :thumbsdown: ) and after I found out how worthless the stroller was and the fabric made him sweat (faux suede) I got rid of the whole thing after he outgrew it.
Now, we are expecting #2 and obviously need a new infant seat, but here's my dilemia....money really isn't an issue, but practicality is. I'd LOVE a KeyFit :bow: but it's hard for me to justify spending that much on a seat that will only be used for 1 child (no more for us) and most likely will outgrow at around 8 months (DS outgrew the infant seat by height at 6 months). We have no other family or friends that will need the infant seat after me (everyone is already done or currently prego and due around same time as me). DH said to just get another SR since they aren't used that long and won't be 'a waste of money'.
He will get whatever I decide, as safety is our upmost priority, but we need to be practical as well.

**The baby will go to a MA after the infant seat. And will RF as long as possible. DS RF in his MA until 27 months.

ADS

jazzpurr88

The Graco Safe Seat 1 is $129.99 at Babies R Us and they have coupons out right now for $10 off careseats, and if you register you get a 15% coupon on one purchase, then there is an add book that has a coupon if you spend $100 you get a $10 gift card. They all expire in Oct. Ask at the baby registry desk for the add books.

The Safe Seat goes to 30 lbs and 32 inches RF. Plus you can get extra bases to put in the other cars or just use the seat belt if you don't have a base. I think this is the most versitial seat choice for an infant and will last the longest.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Graco Safe Seat 1 is $129.99 at Babies R Us and they have coupons out right now for $10 off careseats, and if you register you get a 15% coupon on one purchase, then there is an add book that has a coupon if you spend $100 you get a $10 gift card. They all expire in Oct. Ask at the baby registry desk for the add books.

The Safe Seat goes to 30 lbs and 32 inches RF. Plus you can get extra bases to put in the other cars or just use the seat belt if you don't have a base. I think this is the most versitial seat choice for an infant and will last the longest.

I'm a huge fan of the SS1. Sometimes you can buy it online for under $100 too - I think there was a thread here not to long ago about that...

Anyways, the SS1 will allow you to have the versatility of an infant carrier for at least the first year to 18mos. Most people just leave it in the car once babe gets too heavy to carry.. you'll still end up using the MA rf'ing in the end, but you'll be able to wait longer to buy it which means longer life span left to either use the seat or to pass on to the next owner. It's also nice if you have a smaller vehicle and can use that extra room. :thumbsup:

My ds has 13.5" torso and still fits his SS1 & he'd outgrown the snugride by height well over 4 months ago. He's in the 2nd from bottom slots on the MA when we had him briefly in it, just to give you an idea... he's in a Radian at the moment but the SS1 will likely go back in when it gets colder.

SheBro

Thanks ladies...I've read good things about the SS1 but never had it on my list...I'll definetly go to BRU and play with it.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
What about the Baby Trend Flex/Latch Loc? I got to play with one for the 1st time a few days ago and was really impressed with it. I love the harness height adjustment knob. It was so easy to use. It has EPS foam in the headrest and I even liked the colors (it was the Galaxy one). It seemed like a very nice seat for the price.

SheBro

Thanks, I'll look at the Baby Trend as well.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Combi Centre? I honestly don't think I've ever heard anything about it.

skaterbabs

A tech friend of mine has the Combi and isn't thrilled with it. I like the Graco Safe Seat 1; and Graco strollers have improved some.

cryswilkins

Does anyone have any opinions on the Combi Centre? I honestly don't think I've ever heard anything about it.

I had one with my DD and it was OK, It was easy enough to install, but it was hard to get off the base. My DD out grew it by height at about 6 months. The one that I had, you didn't have to re-thread the harness to adjust it, that was a big plus! I didn't LOVE the seat, KWIM?

SheBro

I had one with my DD and it was OK, It was easy enough to install, but it was hard to get off the base. My DD out grew it by height at about 6 months. The one that I had, you didn't have to re-thread the harness to adjust it, that was a big plus! I didn't LOVE the seat, KWIM?

Thanks.
It's possible we might get one for free (or really cheap) from a lady at church when her son outgrows his. I know it's never been in an accident because it's new to replace seats that were in an accident. It's a possibility at least to consider.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC