Truck rec's for DH?

Keeyamah

So we've had to replace the master cylinder and slave cylinder in DH's 1990 F-150 just recently (which then gave us fits on the next trip we took). He is a bit irked with it because of that, having spent all day Sunday working on it so we could go out Monday. I know he wants something that can haul the whole family (3 kids if I can convince him for a third). We have two boys right now, one FF, one RF and has "decent" towing. I don't know what he means by decent towing, but we do have a 21?22? ft long boat that if we could tow it, we could use it. My only requirement is that it has headrest and lap/shoulder belts in all seating positions, and I guess the ability to do 3 across the back seat too.

We aren't looking to buy right now, unless we can't get the truck fixed. But I just want some ideas of what to research for him, or to try to get him to look at.

Thanks a bunch :)

ADS

Keeanh

We just bought a truck so I think I remember all the years... What's the budget? And do you mean a 5-seater? or 6? In the 5-seat versions, Ford had all headrests & shoulder belts starting in 2011. Toyota had them starting in 2006. Nissan & Chevy still don't :mad:. Dodge was 2009.

For the 6th seat, it was a little harder to figure out by digging through for sale pics. I know Tundra had them as early as '08 (and probably 06, but I didn't look). Ford was 2011. Don't know about the others.

ETA: Tundra was '06 for the 6th complete seat. So it's just Dodge I'm unsure about for the 6th seat.

Keeyamah

Ok so I'm not sure what the budget would be, I need to figure out want we can afford in payments. If we got a 5 seater, it would just mean not taking anyone else on trips, I suppose not a huge problem.

If I can get him to look at anything other than a Ford we have a little more leeway, lol. He might look at a Dodge, he has some issues with nonAmerican made cars occasionally.

Thank you so much for doing all of that, I don't even know where to start looking :)

Well, isn't the Tundra made in Texas? I think the older ones were made in Indiana.

IMO, the best new truck right now is the (Dodge) Ram 1500 (current gen started in 2009 I think, but it's more about the powertrain choices that have just been released in 2013 or so). That said, there's nothing really wrong with the F-150 either. It's gonna be replaced in a year or two with one that's supposed to be a good deal more advanced, but it doesn't sound like you guys can wait. That'd be a close 2nd for me. I'm just not into the Chevy/GMC. Either the older one or the new one.

If your budget requires one several years older, than yeah, I'd get either another F-150 (2004 or newer) or a Tundra.

T4K

We love our silverado. We have a lap belt only 6th seat that we have used for an adult when shuffling people around a beach before.

Keeanh

I kinda think Dodge still doesn't have a proper 6th seat. So if you're looking at 6-seaters, that means 2006+ Tundra, or 2011+ Ford. We got a 6p 08 Tundra. And it was made in the US LOL. If a 5-p is okay, you might be able to get a lower price going with a 2009 Dodge.

But I don't know anything about the vehicles themselves LOL. I just looked up the seatbelt/headrest thing. DH did the rest.

Oh, about that 6th seat in the Tundra, I've used it and it's not the most comfortable seat, but the headrest was just tall enough for me. It wouldn't be tall enough for all adults though (I have a short-ish torso).

luckyclov

Just to echo what previous posters have said, the only trucks with 6 "complete" seating positions are the Toyota Tundra (06+) and Ford (11+). My hubs drives a 2012 F-150 SuperCrew and I love it to pieces, it's not even an issue for petite me to drive it. And though Toyota is not thought as an American, most of the vehicles are, in fact, made here in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

lovemy2kidstw

DH has a 2010 F150 Super crew. I LOVE it! The back seat is huge & is actually comfortable for full size adults to sit in too. The front seats are heated & air conditioned. You can do a 3 across with anything, even 3 FR85's if need be. You can pull a boat behind it easily. His truck gets 19 mpg which is pretty good for a truck.

Mags462

We have been more than pleased with our 2005 Tundra double cab..... lots of reasons for choosing that specific year and model..... main one being the ability to do a TON of the maintenance yourself. The newer Fords we found to be less "do it yourself" friendly. The other major factor in choosing that specific model and year was the truck bed length. We wanted a full cab AND a full bed.... that's actually hard to come by ;)

FWIW the Tundra replaced a 2001 Ford F-150 regular cab and that truck was great too.... but Ford revamped everything in 2004 making it much harder to access common maintenance items.

I personally know a ton of people that have switched from Ford and Chevy to the newer Dodge Rams..... we weren't looking for new, so we chose the Tundra, but the Rams are worth a look.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC