Question 3 across in a 2001 Subaru Forester

U

Unregistered

Our family is expanding (to three kids) and I would love to keep our 2001 Subaru Forester as long as possible while we save up for a larger vehicle. We'd be happy to upgrade/change to different car seats... but here's what we currently have:
I have a 4 year old, 35 lb. FF in a Maxi Cosi Priori
I have a 2 year old, 25 lb FF in a Britax Roundabout.
The Infant Car seat we have in storage is a Chicco Keyfit 30.

One important note is that it's seatbelt install only, no latch. I was hoping to make a new configuration work with two Radians but haven't tried it out yet. I'd love to keep my children in 5-point as long as possible... but then the RideSafer Travel Vest caught my attention. Wondering now if we could make one work for full time usage in our car until we can get a car upgrade (for our 4 year old). From what I understand, it's not a 5 point harness, but can still mimic it slightly. Is that correct? How often are these used full-time? Worried about side impact... is it safe to install in the middle of an old subaru with a weird middle seat?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Yes, the RideSafer vest, which is considered a booster alternative, somewhat mimics the benefits of a 5-point harness. It can be used from 30 pounds (for the small) and from 50 pounds (for the large).

The RideSafer might be a bit of a pain to use as an everyday "seat", but if there is no other alternative, I guess it is a "solution."

You might be able to make it work with two Radians and the KeyFit, but I'm not 100% sure. Your best bet might be a RF Radian for your 2yo (I see that child is currently FF), a FF Radian for your 4yo, and the infant seat for your newborn.

sunnymw

If the 4yo can buckle independently I'd try the two radians... RF Radian, FF Radian, then RF Keyfit.

If you want to keep the 2yo FF, try putting the KF in the center.

(as someone who tried a million variations of 3-across with 2 radians and a keyfit, albeit in a different vehicle)

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
If you're willing to do the RSTV on a daily basis, it's a big help. I have 3-across my kids' babysitter's 2004 Forester which I believe is the same interior. There is a tiny amount of space. We have a Turbobooster, a Keyfit, and then the RSTV in the middle and there is just enough space for my 5 year old in the RSTV between them.

The Radians are also pretty challenging installs in the Forester. You could maybe try a Coccoro for the newborn if you don't mind going straight to a convertible, or a Harmony Defender for the oldest.

U

Unregistered

Thank you all for your help/advice. I'll look into a few of these.

I do think it's impossible to do a RF Radian in my car... there would be no room for driver or passenger leg room. I was able to get a FF Maxi Cosi on the side and RF Keyfit in the middle when I only had two kids (and the younger was in the keyfit) so I'm hopeful the Ride safety vest or a Radian may be able to fit on the side behind driver.

U

Unregistered

Just a followup that we found a solution. We were able to fit a Maxi Cosi Priori FF, Sunshine Radian 80 FF with Chicco Keyfit 30 in the center. So excited to find a fit!

nursienurse

CPS Technician
Glad you found a solution!! If you wanted to RF a Radian, it will work with an angle adjustor--which only costs about $12. We have a Forester, too, and I was able to sit in front of it fine. I'm tall (5'8"). My mom was fine, too at 5'11". Congrats on expecting a 3rd child, too!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC