Flying with a 3 year old and 1 year old

U

Unregistered

My apologies if this has been asked a lot before. You ladies are so incredibly helpful with stuff like this.

DD is 3 1/2, 40 lbs.
DS just turned 1, around 33 lbs.

We have 2 Safety 1st Complete Airs and 2 Harmony Defenders.

Flying over the 4th with 2 kids for the first time, and DH (thank heavens). First flight 1 1/2 hrs, second flight 2 1/2 hours. We bought a seat for the 3 year old, obviously, but not for the 1 year old. We're hoping there's a seat we can use for him.

We are renting a car upon arrival, and want to bring our own seats for the trip.

1. Does DD need to have a carseat on the plane, or is she big enough to be in just a lap belt?

2. I'm thinking you all are going to say that she should have a seat. So, how in the heck do we navigate changing planes with 2 carseats? We have a Gogo kidz wheel thing, but only one of them.

Thanks in advance for helping me with the logistics here!

ADS

creideamh

I'd bring the Complete Airs, I think. At 40lb, she's probably big enough to use just the lap belt, but with the way plane seats curve, it'll be way more comfortable for her to use her car seat (not to mention safer than checking it.) Plus, not all 3.5 year olds can resist pulling & opening the buckle. ;)

If there's absolutely no way you can buy the 1 year old a seat (no one here, no US airline, and no organization recommend lap babies), then I'd make sure you bring a good bag and bubble wrap to gate check her seat.

Are you bringing a stroller? You can hook both seats onto there, or rig one on so the 1 y/o can ride in it and pull the other on a luggage cart/GoGo thing. With 2 seats and 2 adults, you'll totally be fine...and most people are helpful and sympathetic to families.

HTH!

cupcakepirate11

The gogo kids can work with two, put one on normally and the other one on top upside down and bungee it on :) I have seen many people here get it to work!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC