Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    krishnakarrynhotmailcom

How do I fit a rear facing and a forward facing in my toyota

Hi, we're expecting our second child in a couple of weeks. We own a 98 Toyota Corolla, it doesn't have LATCH. We have an Evenflo rear facing infant seat that we used for the first child and hope to use again now. We have a Graco Tender Cargo forward facing seat for our 3.5 yr old. We are having an impossible time installing the two seats. They can't fit next to each other. So can we put the Graco seat behind the driver side and then the Evenflo on the passenger side--the front seat seems to butt up against the rear-facing seat. Is that okay? We have an appointment with a technician, but it's really close to our due date, so we're trying to figure this out now. Please email me at the address above with your reply. THANKS!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPSDarren

It may be OK

In most cases, it is OK to brace a rear-facing convertible up against the seat in front of it. In fact, this may actually improve the safety a bit as it may reduce the downward rotation of a rear-facing seat in a crash.

Unfortunately, there are a few exceptions that do not allow certain contact of the rear-facing seat and the vehicle seat in front of it. The Century Smart Move and Evenflo Port About are two that have some specific instructions on this in the manual.

I'm guessing that since you have had your Evenflo seat since a previous child that it is not a Port About, so you should be OK to do what you have described. Double check your owner's manuals just to be sure, and the technician will be able to verify everything for you also!

The outboard spots are perfectly acceptable for carseats. The center is our first choice for a single carseat, but in many cases a seat wont fit there, and that's even more of an issue with multiple carseats and LATCH!

Please ask again if you have more questions!

Good luck!

Darren