Booster for Small 6.5 yr old

I

Ivondale

My son is 6.5 but small. He is just finally to the point where he is outgrown his platinum cargo as a harness. He is just over 43 inches, and he is just UNDER 40 lbs (I am guessing 38.5-39). But his shoulders are now above the straps on the top harness slot. I am guessing this means a high back booster. I have a just turning 4 year old who is also small and will inherit the harness as her Triumph is about to be outgrown as well.

I seriously can't afford a $200 seat, but I want something safe. He is a mature kid and really - almost 7, so I am guessing the booster is ok.

We've tried the Turbobooster and the Compass and the Evenflow. I saw a fisher price that is supposed to be by Britax - is that a better seat even though it's cheaper? He prefers the fit of the Turbobooster, but I get car-seat guilt reading these boards. Will he be safe in that? Also, what is this Y86 or whatever I keep seeing in passing?

ADS

trailrunnermom

The F-P booster is often chosen because it's narrow (to fit in a 3-across situation); it's safe, but it's based on an older Britax model, and the headwings are pretty small...not a lot of side-impact protection.

The current Britax booster is the Parkway. I haven't tried this one, but it's popular. There are a few kids who don't like the angle of the headwings, but others seem to like the way they're positioned.

I'm planning to buy a Compass B510 for my 6-y.o. DS (we're passing the Husky down to his little brother.) If you decide on a Compass, get the 510 (deeper head wings). Available online at many retailers, incl. walmart, target, specialtybaby.com, babiesrus, etc. Read about it at compassbaby.com (it's also sold at the Learning Curve online store.) I haven't seen the 510 at many stores...just the 505 model. The Compass does not become a backless booster, but it does fold up easily and is very comfortable and easy to buckle.

It seems many people use the Turbobooster; I have a couple of these, too. There are different levels of pricing and padding, and they're frequently on sale. It can become a backless booster eventually. One annoying thing about the TB is the way it comes apart if you don't carry it carefully. (Ouch. I've taken a few hits to my shins.) :)

There's also the new Graco AirBooster...you can search past posts for information from people who have tried it so far.

I don't know much about the Evenflo boosters...again, you can search the forums to find some opinions on them.

All of the above boosters are available for less than $100. Remember to buckle in the empty booster when your son isn't riding with you! :)

scatterbunny

We love our Compass B510! :D We also loved the Parkway, until dd got taller and her legs got longer; then the seat depth of the Parkway just wasn't enough. It was the same with the Turbo, seat depth just wasn't enough after awhile. The Compass has a deeper seat, but it's wider through the body and headwings, so it may or may not be comfortable for your child now. Fit to child can really be very subjective. ;) At 43 inches, the Parkway and Turbo fit my child VERY well. We preferred the PW because of the deeper, closer-spaced headwings (I played them up as pillows for her comfort), and because the lack of armrests made it easier to buckle. The Turbo was/is still a solid choice, though. The ability to use it backless when the child is older is a plus, though the seat depth may not be enough for older kids. The new Graco Air booster is great for longer-legged kids, it gives even more leg support than the Compass my dd is in now, but I'm not sure that a 43 inch child would be comfy in it (legs might stick straight out?).

Are flip-up armrests or no armrests a feature you like/want? Some people are bothered by fixed armrests (admittedly I am one of them :p ).

Do you want a seat that has been tested for side impact protection?

Do you want a seat that becomes backless?

Those questions and countless others are ones to ask yourself, as well as test-fitting as many as possible.

The Fisher Price booster based on the Britax Starriser Comfy is great for fitting three-across, but it's an older design with pretty shallow side wings compared to others on the market.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
Does anyone know what the top harness height is for the Cargo? I thought the Graco seats had shorter top slots than other seats, but I could be wrong. Would an Apex65 with 17" top slots allow a bit more time in a harnessed seat? At $100 - 130 it's definitely something to consider if the OP wants to keep her child harnessed longer at an affordable price.

I know my niece still fits in her Apex at 7yrs at 54lbs and 48." Although we have upgraded her to a Regent recently to allow since he shoulders are now even with the top slots on the Apex

scatterbunny

The Graco CarGo top slots are about the same as the Evenflo seats I mentioned, but the CarGo with front adjuster (a necessity) is more expensive than the Evenflo seats that are comparable.

The Evenflo seats can be found for $55-$60, last I checked, and the cheapest CarGo with front adjust was significantly more, unless on sale (and even then it's still more, just not significantly more.

The Apex is a great option if they can afford it and if it will be compatible with their vehicle(s). It requires vehicle seatback or headrest at least up to tips of child's ears at all times, and it's pretty darn wide (three-across will be a challenge or impossible in some cases). But the top slots are taller (my dd is too tall for the CarGo and Chase/Vision/Traditions by an inch, maybe a bit more, but she's just even with the Apex top slots) and it has a higher harnessed weight limit, and adjusts taller in booster mode, so it will last longer all the way around, provided they can afford it and it works in the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC