Question Turning around a small 5yo for a long trip?

eddis

An idle question, as I start to think about summer plans... Has anyone ever turned around their 5yo for a long road trip? DS is on the low end of the charts - 35 lbs, 40.5 inches. I had him RF till his 5th birthday (he would still fit RF in our Radian - I just finally caved to requests from DH and DS to FF him, two months ago :eek:). But we are going on a two-day road trip to TN this summer. Would it be unthinkable to RF him just for the trip?

(I did just get him the Pinnacle 90, kind of as a consolation prize to myself for turning him FF. So, more side protection, and our car does have side airbags. But have just been reading about side-impact crashes in the news and now I'm paranoid again. :p)

I gather RF is safer for side-impacts (?). On the other hand, his FF seat has the SICT. (I don't think we can get the Radian in the middle position, nor do I think the kids would put up with sitting side-by-side for two days!) I realize I'm a little over-the-top to be even considering this... :D But just wondering! :)

ADS

creideamh

I'd consider it for sleeping, but not be worrying about a crash. I'd leave it up to him, too.

eddis

Thanks folks! Ha, I can't imagine he'd ask to be RF again. :) (Though he's not the type to complain, if I explained it to him.) But I might try to recline the P90 a bit more for sleeping - he's had a little bit of head slump (more than I noted with the RXT) in the short time we've had it.

Thanks again! :)

Athena

My almost 5yo DD has asked to go back RFing because it's more comfortable, so if I could, I totally would, but she's way, way too tall to fit in any RFing seats and has been for a while. I don't think it's odd at all for you to consider it.

skylinphoto

If your kiddo is okay with it, then why not?

My tiny 30lb 5 year old would never go for it. We're taking a road trip on saturday and shes begging for a booster seat (which isnt gonna happen..lol)!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd probably just recline the P90 a little more, but yeah, my favorite trip was one with my single 4 year old (usually I had both kids on long trips), and she had a RF seat for the night parts, and a backless booster for the day parts (in the middle of the van, and hey, don't judge, it was 2003 :eek:). Naturally my well thought out plan failed after the first early morning portion of drive, and she was sideways dumped out of the belt asleep in the backless for most of the trip back :rolleyes:

christineka

I have- and kid was more comfortable. This past fall I turned the seat forward, then went on another vacation. Several hours into the trip he was whining about discomfort because he was sleepy, too upright, and his feet were hanging. I wished I had at least thought to bring the rfing boot so that I could havehad the option of turning the seat rear-facing again.

eddis

Thanks - Interesting to know it's been done! :) I suppose I can ask him... The Radian can face either way, but if he's going to be FF I'd rather he be in the P90, so we'd have to decide which seat before we leave. (I have a feeling DH will not be keen on this plan... ;P)

joolsplus3 - DD is too tall to RF but I'd RF her if I could! She's a slumper when she's asleep so I keep her harnessed for long trips. She was in a booster for one road trip and kept falling out of position, but would pitch a fit when we woke her to sit up. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC