My 2 1/2 year old too tall for CARES harness

B

Brnn17

I have a Maxi Cosi convertible car seat that I'd rather not take on the plane if I can help it. I will be traveling alone with my son who is only a couple months shy of 3. Traveling alone with a 2-yr old and all the luggage that goes with a 2wk trip seems daunting when you add in a 24lb car seat. He's 42" tall but only 32lb. The FAA recommends that a child under 40 lbs be in a car seat but the CARES harness is only for children under 40". Is the car seat still my only option?

ADS

Jan06twinmom

Will you have a car seat at your destination?

If you need your car seat at your destination, then using the car seat on the airplane is the best option. Car seats can be lost or damaged if they are checked, but you can make sure that your car seat arrives safely and unharmed at your destination if take it with you. My experience flying with our twins is that they were much more comfortable in their car seat than without the car seat.

I'm sure someone here can give you some recommendations about getting through the airport with your child. I know that we made the decision to check most of our luggage when flying with our twins.

Melanie

newyorkDOC

You can use cares over the height limit. If you look on the website it has a blurb about using it for the disabled up to a certain height which is like 5 FT or something.

But I would only do that if you're not checking your seat. I never check seats for the above me ruined reasons. If you are planning on bringing the seat, I'd just strap it to a stroller or luggage cart and wheel it through the airport with your kid in it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC