Harmony Defender slip and slide install?

emsen09

I have it outboard in an '05 Honda Pilot with leather seats. The center install was really not secure and the LATCH install was kind of a joke. I got the best belt install I could, but there's too much movement. What are my options? Can I get a grip pad of some kind to help with the slipping, or do I just need to get a different seat altogether?

ADS

vangelder03

You can't use anything extra to get it tight since it won't stay that way in a crash. So if it won't install tight I would get another seat. How old is your child?
Hom much do they weigh? I am sure someone has the same car and could suggest a seat that would work. Welcome to car seat.org this site has lots of people willing to help you find the right seat for your car.

emsen09

Thanks. I was happy with the seat otherwise, it's just so annoying to have to disassemble, return, etc.
DD is 4y1m, 28 lbs.(3%), 38"(10%), and >14" torso. I am looking for something narrow for 3 across or 2 next to each other w/ the split down for 3rd row access.

jordansmom

Thanks. I was happy with the seat otherwise, it's just so annoying to have to disassemble, return, etc.
DD is 4y1m, 28 lbs.(3%), 38"(10%), and >14" torso. I am looking for something narrow for 3 across or 2 next to each other w/ the split down for 3rd row access.

I wouldn't jump to returning the seat quite yet if you are otherwise happy with it! Can you explain a little more about your install? Are your buckle stalks rigid or long? Have you put your knee/weight into the seat while installing? Where are you checking for movement after you have installed it? Have you attached your top tether?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I promise if you can give some more information, someone here will be able to help you!

emsen09

The buckle stalks are long and I tried twisting them as well because the buckle latch is almost entering the car seat belt path. I very much put my weight into it. I put both knees into it and jumped up and down. I can sit myself in the seat even. The angle adjustment is being used to it's full manipulation for it to be flush against the seat back. The bottom base juts out at least 2" without wiggling it. The tether is tightly installed, but I don't understand why where it is connected to the seat, the tether is on a sliding strap that runs perpendicular to the tether strap so even if it's in place it still slide along that. The back of the car seat is smooth and advertised to make less markings on the seat, but it just slides all over the leather (at least 2"-3" everywhere) and I feel I've done everything I can to get a proper install. The only thing to make it secure sideways is the seat next to it that isn't going anywhere at all, and the car door. Options that aren't sufficient for me. With all these problems, it's frustrating and I don't think I can keep it.
I just don't know what other combination seat WILL work. I have to do 3 across so I was looking for something narrow, not too bulky and heavy, and easy to install. I guess that doesn't exist. I was trying to keep the price down, but now that doesn't matter as much, I just want anything that is secure.

jess71903

Ambassador
I'm going to offer a few things to try that you may have already. I'm not familiar with the Defender yet, so they may not even apply.

1) ONLY check for movement AT THE BELT PATH. Movement elsewhere is of no consequence. If you've got less than 1" at the belt path, then you're good.

2) Pull the shoulder belt to tighten from INSIDE the seat. So, pull back the cover or pull from the opposite side. This gives you a better angle to tighten.

3) Twist the buckle stalk up to 3, full, 360 degree turns. Some people count 1/2 turns as one, so just wanted to make sure you were getting full twists.

4) push not only down, but back into the seat when tightening

5) You may have to allow the seat to "settle" to the angle where it wants to be. I know if I try to install this Radian by pushing the bottom as far back as it will go, I end up with a seat that slides forward and gets loose. If I let it settle where it naturally wants to, I get rock solid. You don't have to have a gapless install. There can be space behind the Defender.

bakinlove

I too am having trouble getting a tight install with the defender, I can get a much tighter and more secure install in my mom's mercury mountaineer with leather seats, than I do in our ford escape with cloth seats. I think it is partially the shape of the seats and partially the way her seat belt is designed. I am going to try a locking clip on the escape when it comes back from the shop to see if that is easier and more secure. In my mom's mountaineer I got a tight install the first time with very little work, to get a tight install in the escape I have to spend at least 15 minutes messing with it and at the end I need to get my DH to pull the belt while I shove it as far down and in as I can. I never tighten the tether until I have the seat secured.
Have you tried it with a locking clip yet?

emsen09

Alright, I tried with LATCH again and it took a lot of work, but I got a good install. Sideways and front to back it's fine. I just have a problem with it pivoting within the secured spot against the leather. It is in really tight, but when I pull the frontside of the bottom base it can rotate outward about 2". I don't know if I can really explain it though. I think it is much due to the smooth back shape and the tether being free sliding along the back as I mentioned previously. Is this acceptable or not? Maybe now I'm just over thinking it because the other seat next to it is so very secure and I'm probably pulling and twisting the Defender with two hands more than necessary.

jordansmom

Alright, I tried with LATCH again and it took a lot of work, but I got a good install. Sideways and front to back it's fine. I just have a problem with it pivoting within the secured spot against the leather. It is in really tight, but when I pull the frontside of the bottom base it can rotate outward about 2". I don't know if I can really explain it though. I think it is much due to the smooth back shape and the tether being free sliding along the back as I mentioned previously. Is this acceptable or not? Maybe now I'm just over thinking it because the other seat next to it is so very secure and I'm probably pulling and twisting the Defender with two hands more than necessary.

T check for movement you should only be using your non-dominant hand to tug at the belt path. If there is less than an inch of movement you are good! Definitely use the top tether as well!

Also, you mentioned it is next to another seat...make sure they are independently installed and don't rely on each other for tightness.

kathysr98

I found that I needed to have the recline much more upright than I originally thought to get a good install with this seat. The more upright position changed it from terribly loose to a very easy install.

emsen09

Thanks for all the help. This is always THEE place to come.
The install is good now. I just got really paranoid because it wasn't totally immovable.
DD loves her new seat and slept comfortably in it this week.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC