6-8 passenger vehicle with captain chairs?

V

VanIsleMommy

I like my equinox but with two kiddos its starting to get tight on space. It has decent cargo space but if say I have to take a friend with us and have the stroller in the back and the kids bags there is room for nothing else. Plus I have a ruined neck and am tired of spending weeks in pain and completely useless if my muscles seize trying to lift kids and gear and move car seats.

I really like the Buick enclave but dh is balking at dropping $20k on a 2008 with 100k km or more. I also hear repairs are costly. I'm not completely against a small vehicle payment but I don't really want a dodge. We have a truck and know people with vans and they are a dime a dozen... Cheap but disposable.

I have one 1 year old and one 4.5 year old 40 pounds and still fits rf in his radian. Friends are almost always boostered or no seat is provided so when they ride with me they are harnessed because none of them pass a 5 step. School is coming up and I will likely be carpooling with one sometimes two kids. So I would like third row seating preferably with captains chairs. Dh is dead set against a minivan but reality is this is the car I drive two or three times a day and he drives one or two times a month. If he's that against a van he can drive his manly truck instead. ;)

Yes I know there is a lot of odyssey or sienna or pilot love. But any other things to look at? I know many come with one tether in the third row (Orlando and journey has none... Why!??). I can live with at least one.

ADS

nannykates

If you have back issues the load height of the van is going to make your life easier (and you much more pleasant to be around)! I have some pretty deep seeded ody love(I grew up in one that was crashed last spring at 237 thousand miles it lived a long, full life:)). That said, if you don't need the 3rd row all the time you could look at the mazda 5.

V

VanIsleMommy

Yes that was why we got rid of our old 4runner, I threw my neck out one too many times and when i got pregnant and had ti do it all over, that was it.

My second biggest issue for the van argument is that it rains here all the time and I have to stand outside to load two kids. I don't know if bending in a SUV might set off my back either.

tl01

I vote a minivan. It will save your back and loading kids is so easy... I love opening the doors as we walk up and the kids can get right in. Now getting my DS2 to get in his seat is a whole different situation;).

Keeks64

We just did this search & it sucked :(

We looked at a Chevy traverse - 8 seater & 1 TA in the back centre....it was nice but too mini van-ish lol

I read on here ( think it was Mingie?) that the 2013 Santa Fe (XL maybe?) with captain chairs has a TA in the 3rd row

We ended up with a Journey which I don't mind but I don't plan on keeping long term

VoodooChile

I've been looking at SUVs with a walk-through 2nd row, too. I currently have a Pilot and just don't really want to go smaller. I really like the Durango and the Escalade. My kids' vote is for the Escalade, lol.

V

VanIsleMommy

I don't need a top tether in third row but it would make things simpler. To add to the mix, we may have figured out my health issues (a neck injury, not a disease, and potentially fixable ...) so if things go well there is a small chance baby three could happen in 4 years or so. MAYBE. ;) but even with just two it would be nice to throw a forward facing trouble maker or a friend in the back.

canadiangie

What about a Ford Flex? You could get captains chairs, and there is a TA in the 3rd row. They've been out for a while now so you should be able to grab one in your price range. With the 3rd row up there is still quite a bit of cargo space.

V

VanIsleMommy

I hated them at fist based on looks... But they are growing on me. Ill go poke around one maybe this weekend!

vermontmoms

I hated them at fist based on looks... But they are growing on me. Ill go poke around one maybe this weekend!

The new Santa Fe XL limited is super nice and drives great! It has second row captains too plus many other options. That is what we will get when our durango bites the dust. Love them!!!

Mingie

CPST Instructor
The new Santa Fe XL limited is super nice and drives great! It has second row captains too plus many other options. That is what we will get when our durango bites the dust. Love them!!!

That's what I just bought a month ago. I'm seriously loving this vehicle.

kathysr98

What about a Ford Flex? You could get captains chairs, and there is a TA in the 3rd row. They've been out for a while now so you should be able to grab one in your price range. With the 3rd row up there is still quite a bit of cargo space.

I just got one & it's wonderful!

I have one kid, but have two others on a very regular basis. Dd is second row center and the other two go in the third row. The passenger 40 spilt folds forward with a button for easy access to the third row, or a six passenger with a passage is available. I paid $27000 for mine with 20k miles, almost every option on an SEL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC