car-top carriers and side-curtain air bags

sfeitler

Does anyone know if there are issues with using a strap-on car top carrier on a car with side-curtain air bags?

We have a Prius with the air bags, and we're not getting a minivan anytime soon, but we want to carry 4 people plus dog plus gear to go camping--and it's a really, really tight fit. A car-top carrier would be a fine, inexpensive solution, but I think I've seen somewhere that you aren't supposed to use the strap-on type if you have side-curtain air bags? Is it just because the air bags won't be able to deploy, or is it something worse than that? Not that that's a good thing, but it's probably something I could live with for the occasional trip, especially with the child next to the door being rear-facing (the dog is next to the other door).

-Sarah

ADS

southpawboston

my guess is that it's because they won't deploy properly. the explosive force with which they deplay may also cause the straps to snap and the straps could then whip a passenger in the face at high speed.

can you afford investing into a proper cartop rack system? we have a yakima rooftop rack which sits on 4 pods, held to the car with clips that wrap inside the door frame. a basic rack system (yakima, thule, and saris are all good systems) will cost you a couple hundred dollars, and then you can add a cartop carrier to that. a proper system will last you many years and the clips are purchased specific to your car. to transfer the rack to another car, you just need to purchase new clips.

FWIW, there's a prius that parks on our block that has a yakima rack system with a cartop carrier. it looks sharp, to boot :)

sfeitler

can you afford investing into a proper cartop rack system? we have a yakima rooftop rack which sits on 4 pods, held to the car with clips that wrap inside the door frame. a basic rack system (yakima, thule, and saris are all good systems) will cost you a couple hundred dollars, and then you can add a cartop carrier to that. a proper system will last you many years and the clips are purchased specific to your car. to transfer the rack to another car, you just need to purchase new clips.

FWIW, there's a prius that parks on our block that has a yakima rack system with a cartop carrier. it looks sharp, to boot :)

I might be able to afford a proper rack system soon--we just moved, and the old house is about to sell, and then I'll have money again. ;) Then I just have to get over the slight decrease in gas mileage... :D The nice thing about a removable carrier is the gas mileage decrease is just temporary. OTOH, I'm sure we'd still get 40-something MPG even with a roof rack system. It's just a psychological barrier.

-Sarah

southpawboston

I might be able to afford a proper rack system soon--we just moved, and the old house is about to sell, and then I'll have money again. ;) Then I just have to get over the slight decrease in gas mileage... :D The nice thing about a removable carrier is the gas mileage decrease is just temporary. OTOH, I'm sure we'd still get 40-something MPG even with a roof rack system. It's just a psychological barrier.

-Sarah

actually, only the initial assembly and tweaking take some time. once it's on the car properly assembled, the yakima rack system comes off in one piece in about 30 seconds (with two people). :thumbsup. and with two people the whole thing can go back on in less than 2 minutes. we store ours in the basement during the winter and put it back on the car during bike season. :) it's probably easier to take down and put on than one of those kinds that you have to strap down. :twocents:

sfeitler

actually, only the initial assembly and tweaking take some time. once it's on the car properly assembled, the yakima rack system comes off in one piece in about 30 seconds (with two people). :thumbsup. and with two people the whole thing can go back on in less than 2 minutes. we store ours in the basement during the winter and put it back on the car during bike season. :) it's probably easier to take down and put on than one of those kinds that you have to strap down. :twocents:

Well, that's good to know! So, I'll keep my fingers crossed that my old house sells (we have a contract, just have to get through all the crud before closing), and then I'll have cash again. :)

-Sarah

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC