Chaperone question...

3 ladybugs

Today I called Britax to suggest that they change the name of the "low birth weight infant foam" to just "newborn foam" as children are rarely above the 11 lbs mark at birth.

They told me to email my suggestion to them which I did. However I got a strange reply back and now I am confused. I have already installed the LBWIF into the seat in preparation for my newbie (here in about 8 weeks). This is what they said:
Thank you for your feedback. We will pass your feedback on to our product managers and upper management.

When you get ready to leave the hospital you will bring the Chaperone into the hospital to get the baby set up in the seat before you leave. If you notice that the harness straps are not tight after being pulled as tight as they can be adjusted that will be a sign that you need this foam. They harnesses should be tight at the baby's shoulders.... not the stomach. The foam will help you achieve a snug fit.

We also have some children that even though they are between 4 lbs. to 11 lbs. due to prematurity or developmental issues they may need something to help build the seating area under them. For these children, the way their bodies are proportion or sized cause the need for low birth weight foam.

Hope this explains the foam a little better.

Does this mean that my son may not need this foam at birth? Should I take it out and watch DH potentially teach our older son new words if he has to put it back in at the hospital? That thing was hard to instal!!!

I am confused. My son they are saying is going to be 7 lbs 10 oz at birth plus or minus a pound (love that! :rolleyes: ) I have another ultrasound in 2 weeks and another in 6 weeks and I figure if he is in the same range both times then he will be about that. He will be born at 38 weeks exactly (provided I make it that far).

Thank you for your help!

ADS

bnsnyde

Not sure if this helps. My son had bad head slump at birth w/o the foam. He was 9 lbs. 6 oz. It was almost a bit too snug with the foam though. But w/o the foam it looked like his airway would be compromised. So I used it at first happily. He would have benefiitted from it for longer but he got to 11 lbs. quickly.

Anyway, we'd since lost the foam so I called to order one for the next baby. They said they had something for low birth-weight, like preemies. My kids are not small...but I was confused too. I wanted the same foam I'd had before but thought maybe they no longer had it? Now I think after reading your post this was the foam I wanted. They seemed to say it was for preemies.

Because of this I bought an Aton II since I knew the fit would be great, and it is! And OK, I wanted to try it out anyway. :) But I'm pretty sure if Britax shipped me that foam I wanted and hadn't said it was for preemies I would be using the Chaperone now.

Oh, and installing the first foam WAS hard. I had to call. Not intuitive.

RiahS

So it's not just me that has trouble getting the foam in?! I tried to get it in when I first got the seat and was so mad I chucked it across the room. But I currently use the seat for my 5 month old niece so I don't need it. But my son was 7lbs even and a tiny little peanut so if this new baby is like that, I'd like to be able to use the foam. I just couldn't possibly see a way to get it in. It felt like if I put it in, I'd have to move the harness up.
I tried watching Britax's YouTube video on it, but it didn't help me at all.

3 ladybugs

I raised the harness then put the foam in, then lowered the harness after it was in. I also took out the crotch buckle to get it in and had LOADS of fun getting that back in! :rolleyes: I am at the lowest slot now for the harness and it seems like it would work well at this point. I could post a photo if anyone wants to see it.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
My 8lb newborn fit better without the foam than with, so I never used it. I sent out a preemie in the chaperone without the foam (she was just under 6lbs) because again, she got better without. I think it just depends on the kid.

Fallon

Usually you only need the foam if the baby is small or you are unable to get a good fit w the harness. You just have to put the baby in the seat and see how the harness fits them.

mcomommy

My 9.5lb son fit better without the foam so we never used it. I passed the seat to a friend and her full term 5lb baby also fit better without the foam.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

3 ladybugs

I think I will leave it in and see how he is at the time I need it.

I guess the biggest test is where the straps can't be pinched? Belly = take it out, shoulders = leave it in, right?

lmiranda8681

My son was 7lbs 1 oz at birth and a little less when we left the hospital and he fit nicely without the foam. I would take it just in case but you may not need it.

I brought a newborn home in early Jan of this year at 6 lb 11 oz and he fit way better sans foam.

Chest clip was raised after pic was taken.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC