How does the recaro prosport do without a top tether?

soph's mom

My other half just inherited a hideously ugly 85 mustang. He's 10 years older and has a totally different taste in cars... I thought it was going to be sold but now it looks like it's staying for car shows...

I am going to try the radian and angle adjuster but there is very little room in the back seat... (she will not be forward facing in my cars until the radians are completely outgrown) I know I could put it up front but that would put me in the back with no headrest and just lap belts... She is coming up on 3 so for a very short occasional ride I am willing to ff her if it provides the safest fit for everyone including me...

My first thought is the pinnacle 90 but I think my other half would like the "race" background of the recaro seat. If the britax performs better without the top tether I am fully willing to go that route...

I just informed him that if he kept the ugly thing I was buying a new seat...

EDIT- if the radians do better than the others without the tether I can use them... I was just looking at stuff w better side impact protection...

ADS

agave

DH has a '93 convertible Mustang. Yeh, it's cool but sometimes I hate that car. Ours has a super tiny back seat I can't put the headrest all the way up in harness mode on the frontier without hitting the back windshield. Defiantly try before you buy.

soph's mom

DH has a '93 convertible Mustang. Yeh, it's cool but sometimes I hate that car. Ours has a super tiny back seat I can't put the headrest all the way up in harness mode on the frontier without hitting the back windshield. Defiantly try before you buy.

Ours is the ugly trunk version... Is yours the hatchback or trunk?

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I've used a Radian and a Nautilus without a tether. Both are said to test well without.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It does well with lap-shoulder belt. Not sure about lap-only - I know it requires moving to a lap- shoulder position at 52lbs. I think it might require tether with lap-only belt? Check the manual.

soph's mom

Hmm it's looking like the radians may actually be better weight and height wise with out the tether... And then she would have to move up front and kick me out at booster age... Hopefully he will tire of the car before then... Maybe I'll play w a radian and angle adjuster tomorrow anyway... With no airbag I could sit closer to the dash... He won't like the idea but he doesn't really get a say with car safety...

Anyone know if the coccoro fits rf in this car? I'm thinking it's the smallest rf seat and hopefully we will need something next year...

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
If the car is only going to be used for going to shows then I wouldn't even bother trying to find a carseat for it. Just make it a rule that the kid doesn't ride in that car. My DH has his "toys" and the kids have never rode in any of them. If we're all going to a car show then I take the kids and he drives whatever he's bringing to the show. It doesn't happen that often so it's not a big deal.

soph's mom

It's an excuse to buy seats that can and will be used later and realistically if I can find a safe solution she will be in the car... She loves the car and cars in general... If nothing else works the radian will go rf up front and I will drive my car. My little convertible is not an option at all bc it has "smart" airbags but no key. We have another 2 seater sports car w no airbags but it has a seatbelt attached to the door (not the moving kind but it is still mounted on the pilar and moves w the door) so she won't be in that AT LEAST til she 5 steps and probably not then...

I have to do some more research on the tether requirements... I am researching if a tether can be added but the back dash does not look like it would be compatible with any retrofit.

soph's mom

Ok, fooled around with the car and the radian this morning. The radian definitely does not fit rf behind the passenger even w the angle adjuster and the seat all the way up... Plus the lock end of the belt is ridiculously long and would have to be twisted way too many times to be acceptable to keep it out of the belt path...

Also, the retractable lap belt (this is the worst belt ever, next to impossible to tighten in a small two door car since you can't sit outside and yank down) retracted back after I installed the seat and wouldn't come back out to do a for the fun of it ff install... All four seat belts in this car will be replaced before it's tagged, he has no choice....

And... The back seat is ridiculously squishy in this thing. I would need a 400 lb person to sit and squish down the seat to get a tight install.

I'm going to attempt a rf install in the front seat to see it I can get it tight. She's still not riding in it til it has new belts installed and properly torqued down. Luckily these ugly cars have a massive following so finding new good DOT belts will be easy and probably fairly inexpensive... He won't be thrilled with her rf up front but he has never fought me before...

I was going to try a baseless install of a couple of infant seats but don't think that's going to work w the space and squishy seat... Ugh... This is a low mile, excellent condition car but I hate it even more now... And I see where the frontier would lack room. The radian is very tall back there...

Looks like if he keeps the car it will be a rf til booster in the front seat...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC