third row tethers...

MySillyKids

We have an ody, and as we all know the third row tether, is next to the closing hatch.

Is there any 3rd row tethers, that are on the BACK of the seats, like the captains chairs on the ody?

We're looking at getting a New car (for DH) and i want to be able to get all soon to be 3 carseats back there.

I think thats a huge design flaw (unless there's an actual REASON) Why cant the tether be on the seat of the third row?

Waa :crying: LOL!!

ADS

southpawboston

I think thats a huge design flaw (unless there's an actual REASON) Why cant the tether be on the seat of the third row?

Waa :crying: LOL!!

it's probably for structural reasons. your generation of ody came out (01?) when LATCH was just being phased in. most mfrs felt the most obvious place to put the tether anchors was at the back hatch sill, which is usually structurally pretty sound, probably more so than the back of the seat. they may also have not anticipated the inconvenience that this posed to owners when trying to load their trunk spaces. i had the same problem with my 02 elantra. they moved the TAs to the floor right behind the seat in 04. most new cars have them placed near the back of the seat, if not right on the seat, or in the roof--out of the way of cargo. it's the evolution of LATCH implementation by the automakers.

MySillyKids

it's probably for structural reasons. your generation of ody came out (01?) when LATCH was just being phased in. most mfrs felt the most obvious place to put the tether anchors was at the back hatch sill, which is usually structurally pretty sound, probably more so than the back of the seat. they may also have not anticipated the inconvenience that this posed to owners when trying to load their trunk spaces. i had the same problem with my 02 elantra. they moved the TAs to the floor right behind the seat in 04. most new cars have them placed near the back of the seat, if not right on the seat, or in the roof--out of the way of cargo. it's the evolution of LATCH implementation by the automakers.

you're right. However, it wouldn't be much of an issue if i didn't have to put the regent back there, and have the V tether hogging up all the space. thats my BIGGEST issue. O'well.

Now i just gotta talk DH out of getting the Infinity G37 coupe, that would only fit 2 seats LOL!

LuvBug

you're right. However, it wouldn't be much of an issue if i didn't have to put the regent back there,

you could always put the infant seat back there :p that is what we did when we went on vacation. My sis and I had the freestar with DS in his husky and DNi in her marathon FFing in the 2nd row captain's chairs, and DNe RFing in his safeseat in the 3rd row center. I just lifted him over and sat him on the base, it wasnt actually that hard.
I couldnt see doing it with a convertible though or if the baby liked to have company to look at.

MySillyKids

Yea, i'll need to start a thread when the time gets closer, and do carseat-a-round. and see what everyone thinks is best. I only chose the regent back there, because 1, DS1 would LOVE it, two, he can climb in back himself, and *almost* buckle himself in!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
My 2004 Nissan Quest had tethers on the 3rd row seatback. Plus it is wide enough to 3 in a row in the third row, has side curtain airbags in all 3 rows, tractions control, and just looks pretty darn cool. (read guys will not gripe about driving it)

I also happen to know from experience (sob) that it does exceptionally well in a T-bone crash.:(, since a lady ran a red light and smushed it into bits 8 months after I bought it. She hit just behind the front passenger tire. Hard. Like 45-50 mph. The tire was twisted parallel to the ground, the drive shaft snapped in 3 pieces and the engine and engine compartment firewall where both sheared in half. But the passenger compartment ( which is where most of the impact hit) didn't crumple at all.

It took me 3 years to save up for this car but I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I could.

HTH, Kimberly

MySillyKids

Yea, i Agree. My DH loves our van. He drives it almost 100% of the time. We also have a 2001 Honda s2000, and it just sits in the garage, and DH is finally realizing that he drives the van all the time (leaving me with out a car). Not to big of an issue, but i'd like to NOT be stuck home when he decides to go out!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
it's probably for structural reasons. your generation of ody came out (01?) when LATCH was just being phased in. most mfrs felt the most obvious place to put the tether anchors was at the back hatch sill, which is usually structurally pretty sound, probably more so than the back of the seat. they may also have not anticipated the inconvenience that this posed to owners when trying to load their trunk spaces.

My '97 Saturn wagon's TAs were on the back sill of the hatch. If manufacturers weren't aware that this was "inconvenient" for loading the trunk by '01, they weren't paying attention!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC