Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question Inexpensive secondary harnessed booster?

My daughter is 46", 44lb, 4yr old.
    I am going to get her a frontier 85 soon because she's at the top of her True Fit.
    I need a secondary car seat that she's not going to outgrow in 5 minutes for travel, grandma's car, etc. We were using a cosco scenera as the secondary, but she's long outgrown that one.
    Any suggestions? I really want to keep her harnessed for as long as possible, but I could be open to HBB's if I had to.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Harmony Defender

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.
    Mama to M (9, hb Amp), B (7, hb Turbo), A (5, ff MyRide), E (2, rf Next), and J (6m, rf OnBoard)

Re: Inexpensive secondary harnessed booster?

What is the top slot height?

About 18.5 inches, so comparable to a Nautilus.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.
    Mama to M (9, hb Amp), B (7, hb Turbo), A (5, ff MyRide), E (2, rf Next), and J (6m, rf OnBoard)

It isn't a combination, but with such high slots, I'd go with the Sureride. 19.5" top slots for $80-$100.
    Rachel - CPST-I and Mommy to:
    Tripp - 12/22/07 48" and 45# FF FR85
    Aubrey - 11/20/09 38" and 33# ERF in an XTSL
    Bella- 7/13/11 33.5" 24#- XTSL and MySize70

7. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by trippsmom View Post
    It isn't a combination, but with such high slots, I'd go with the Sureride. 19.5" top slots for $80-$100.
    I just looked at pics... Looks really small. Does it adjust?

Senior Community Member Irishmama's Avatar

Re: Inexpensive secondary harnessed booster?

It looks like a small seat, but that's deceiving. It's a surprisingly tall seat.

Also, in the stock pics they usually show it with the head pillow; that's removable, there's more harness slots above the head pillow. My DD2 was on the top slots of her Maestro, but only the second to top slots on the SureRide. It's a nice lightweight seat, easy install, and my dd says it's comfy. I'm very pleased with it.
    DD1 11y Incognito
    DS 9.5y Incognito
    DD2 7y TB/Literider

It looks small on its own, but beside a Frontier it doesn't. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=243565

It would last longer than any other harnessed seat besides the Frontier, but won't become a booster. The SecureKid, Defender, and nautilus will become boosters but won't last harnessed as long. If you get a good deal on the SureRide though, you can get a dedicated booster later for a reasonable price.

How often will she use the seat? Would grandma be picking her up from somewhere or from you? If from you, you can get the new Frontier 90 instead of the 85, it installs in minutes easily and could just be moved when needed. I would not move the 85 back and forth. It's not approved for air planes though so if that's the travel, I'd get the SureRide. If travel won't be until after she's 5, a high back booster might be good too.
    ETA: I see your newer thread. You have a 90 already so I would go with the Parkway and start training her in it.
    ~Shannon
    DD (11.5) Seatbelt; DS (9) Incognito; DD2 (7) Britax Parkway; DD3 (4.5) Graco Nautilus