Question Canada Three Boosters Across

innest

Hi, I would like to get three boosters across my VW Jetta sportwagon. My twins are about 55 lbs and currently are in two Britax Marathons that pretty much take up the whole back seat.

I would like to get three boosters in the back. Two for the twins and another one for when my niece comes to visit or when we have a buddy with us.

Ive read that Radian car seats are narrow but they are very pricey at almost $300 each and as I dont actually need car seats anymore, but boosters, was hoping I could get three boosters back there. The Radian booster (Monterey) is much cheaper than the convertible carseats but is also wider than the convertible Radian carseat.

I went to one supplier who tried to get two Britax Frontiers on the outside and a backless Clek in the centre but there was no way to get enough access to get the Clek done up. Im thinking a seat belt extender would help but have read this could be dangerous. I was also thinking if I had a car seat latched in the centre and could then use the 5 pt harness, it could get away from the issue of trying to get the centre booster into the seatbelt.

Would be great to use one of those vests but not approved for use yet in Canada.....
any advice most appreciated.

Tracey
mom of 5 year old twins (55 & 57 lbs, 47 & 48 ") who want to ride with a friend!

ADS

BarbieWD

Have you tried Graco's Turbo Highback Boosters? (Not the elite/premium) Mine is the narrowest overall out of all my seats (I don't own a Foonf or a Radian though...) and considerably narrower than my Britax Marathon. I wonder if 3 would fit for you in your Jetta? But I honestly haven't tried myself.

Also what kind of seat belt is in the center of the back seat? Is it a lap/shoulder belt or just a lap belt?

Keeks64

Welcome :)

Are your twins ready to sit in a booster full-time? Or are you looking for a harness to booster seat option?

If they are able to sit correctly in a booster - this means they stay in position with the lap belt low across their thighs (not on their tummy) & the shoulder belt across their chest/collarbone & they don't lean out of position, play around with each other etc than I would suggest a highback booster for them :)

I don't have experience in your particular vehicle or with many booster seats but just to give you some ideas until someone with more knowledge comes along you could look at the Graco Turbo Highback booster it's a good fitting booster for most kids (make sure to put the screws in the armrests )

Does your middle seat have a lap/shoulder belt & a head rest? Providing it does you could get a small no back booster like the harmony literider or an apramo to keep on hand for friends & it might fit between 2 high back boosters

If you have a lap/shoulder but no head rest in the centre you will need to use a high back booster in that seating position ( unless the booster manufacture states you do not need in vehicle head support)

npl

I needed a booster that was narrow in the back for the back row of my Sienna, which has a tiny space between the buckle stalks, and I needed it to fit between two Graco turbo boosters, or a tbb and a large child. I found that the Harmony low-back booster that they sell at Walmart fit very nicely, gives just enough room to buckle, and is wider at the front so it's more comfortable.

LittlePeanut

How old is the niece? What is her weight? If during those visits, a child could ride in the centre with one of your current MAs, that might be a good option. I don't know that it would fit but given the shape of the base and how high up it sits, it just might work.

innest

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Purchased two Graco Turbo Boosters at Canadian Tire and put in outboard positions. Tried the Apramo backless in the centre as the car has a lap/shoulder belt and headrest in centre but it was painful to do up and we didn't like how the shoulder strap sat on one of my twins when we tired him. Looked too easy to slide off despite the clip that comes with the seat.

In the end tried one of my old Britax Marathons in the centre and it works. It does sit high enough that the boosters can be done up (though I doubt the kids could ever do it themselves). My twins are very tall for their age and were at the max height for the Britax but their buddies/my niece are all shorter so this will provide a solution for awhile. The Britax is painful to install/uninstall but I may just leave it installed and it does provide us with a solution.

Thanks to you all - I almost spent 1k on three Radians so I owe you all a coffee!! :) :dance:

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Glad to hear you found a solution! :thumbsup:

If your Turbos didn't come with the screws installed in the arm rests please make sure to put them in after adjusting the arm rests to the appropriate height. Choose whichever height gives the better lap belt fit.

What's the trouble installing the Marathon? It's usually a pretty easy seat to put in, so maybe we can help you and free up some space in the back seat while your kids get used to buckling themselves.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC