Getting the wrong year? and Where should I sit them?

dodgewoman

OK so we are getting a new to us vehicle:dance:

We were looking at Pilots. We think we are going with a 2008 Pilot. It's LOADED, something I never have had. I'm upgrading from a 2001 Durango that was the lowest model possible. Anyway, I was bummed to find out that that the '08 doesn't have latch in the 3rd row. We did look at a '10 but it had slightly more mileage and was the low end model. so it would have been the same payment. I hope I'm not making a mistake by getting the older year. I have 3 kids, 9, 6(almost 7) and 4. The two older are in booster and one in a 5pt. so latch won't really be a concern in a bit I guess? Should I give up that luxury just for more latch?

Now the second half, if we go with the '08. where would you sit them? I was thinking my oldest in the back until she had a fit when she found out. Then I thought my 4 year old in the 3rd row but no latch kind of kills that for me. I've dealt with no latch for a long time and don't want to not use it if I do have it.

What would you do?

ADS

Keeanh

Are there tether anchors for the back row? I'm sure you can find a way to put 4yo wherever there's a tether anchor for the next 2 years and then it won't matter anymore. I'm not sure which vehicles are affected by the new LATCH rules, but it's possible that you won't be able to use LATCH with your 4yo anyways. Get the '08 :)

ETA: Also, you're the mom. If your 9yo has to sit in the back for things to work, oh well. Tell her "too bad, so sad" ;).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would definitely go with luxury over LATCH. LATCH is handy but not necessary. Honda has a 40-lb child weight limit on LATCH, too, so depending on how heavy your 4-year-old is, you probably wouldn't get much use out of it anyway.

The good news is that the Pilot has tether anchors in all the rear seating positions, if I recall correctly, so that gives you a ton of flexibility.

As for where to seat them, I'd try to get all three in the second row so I didn't have to deal with third-row access and for the increased cargo room having the third row down. I realize that might not work or be desirable, though.

JCsMomma

I just got rid of my 2008 Pilot. When I bought it I chose it over a 2009 base model because it was a higher trim with more convenience features, even though it wasn't the new body style. LATCH in the third row wasn't an issue for me, mainly because I don't mind seatbelt installs at all. I kind of prefer them actually.

Yes, the 2008 will have top tethers in all 6 rear seating positions. There is a ton of flexibility with seating. The second row is also very wide and you could easily put all three there and have your entire cargo space open. My signature pic is of my three second row of my Pilot.

dodgewoman

Thank you for your replies! You made me feel much better about my choice :)

Yes, to bad so sad will be my motto, lol. I want to get them all out of the 3 across b/c that's what I had in my Durango. I'm sick of the cat and dog fighting! I didn't realize how wide that row is though until I saw your picture JCsmomma, wow! My 3 across was very very tight and you have some wide sears there. Nice!

Well, is the 40 lb limit for the child and carseat? If it is, yup, I won't be able to use latch. She's a peanut and only 31lbs. At 4 but she's in a Britax roundabout which is heavy. I do love the tethers in all spots! I only had two outboard ones in my Durango.

I notice when my 9 year old sat in the back seat and buckled herself in when we were fooling around with it that she was super close to being ok with out a booster! I was shocked! It was a almost correct fit! That may just motivate her enough to get used to the back ;)

MommyShannon

We went with an older Odyssey to get the top trim. I love having all the extras! Its nice to be able to LATCH boosters so they aren't buckled while in use, but its not a deal breaker for me either. I'd much rather have top anchors everywhere so you have complete flexibility on where to put seats.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm picking up my new Pilot tomorrow, so just to verify.. My 6.5 year old who is 42lbs. won't be able to use the LATCH feature on his booster?

If he's using it as a belt-positioning booster, the LATCH is restraining only the weight of the booster, so you're fine to keep using it.

JCsMomma

I can totally understand wanting to separate the kids to curb the fighting! I've done that in the Pilot as well. I've had two in the second row, one center and one behind the driver, and then left the other seat open to flip and let one into the back. I've also just had the baby second row, and my older two outboard in the third row so everyone is separated! That just doesn't leave a ton of cargo room. It was fine with three because I could still move them all to the second row if I needed more cargo space. Now I'm having #4 and my oldest will be in a wheelchair for a couple months this winter after surgery, so I decided it was minivan time! Anyway, you will have lots of options with the Pilot even if you want to keep your youngest installed with LATCH.

dodgewoman

Picked it up tonight! Just to get home I put my dd1 in the 3rd row outboard passenger side, des passenger side 2nd row and dd2 behind me latched. It worked well! The only problem is that I had to move dd1 over to the other side in the 3rd row as she couldn't get herself buckled. She has a turbo booster. Is there a booster that is slimmer in the seat? It's not an issue until I have my day care kids and need to do at least one 3 across with one 2 in a row. Suggestions on better fitting seats?

Meg

Congrats on your new Pilot!:D

Thanks LIS! :)

I've had two in the second row, one center and one behind the driver, and then left the other seat open to flip and let one into the back.
What seats have you put in the 60 portion of the second row that allowed the 40 portion to move freely? I have a FF kid and a RF baby going in that position. I'd love to avoid needing to use my Radians. My booster rider will be in the third row. Thanks!

emntheboys

Congrats on your new Pilot! I went with the 2008 over the 2009 as well. I REALLY wanted the SE (sunroof, DVD, but cloth seats) and that is the only year it was made. If we would have went 1 year newer we would have had to get the EX-L with RES and it would have cost $4-5K more!!! Plus it was the last model year of that body style, so I figured that they should've had all of the bugs worked out by then!

Anyway, the 3rd row pass side seating position is tricky. The only boosters I've found to work there are the Cosco Topside, Harmony Cruz, and maybe the Harmony Literider. I believe someone said once that the Parkway works there but don't quote me on that.

Meg- I know you said you don't want to use your Radians, but I have had a RF Roundabout 50 Classic OB driver and a FF Radian center and was still able to slide the 40 portion. Right now I have the Roundabout and a HB Turbo there.

emntheboys

JC'sMomma- Are you using an angle adjuster with the Radian in your siggy pic? I'm probably going to switch out my Roundabout with a Radian 65 for DD soon and I'm just curious how it will fit in that position.

JCsMomma

Meg, I am pretty sure I've used both a CCO and my Radian on the 60 portion along with the FR85 to allow 3rd row access. I know you don't want to use your radian though. I've tried a RA55 but its too wide toward the top to allow the open seat to slide all the way. You can move it some though and it may be enough room for some kids to climb through. Also, if your second car seat is something smaller than the FR85 you may have more luck.

As for boosters in the third row, I'm pretty sure the Amp high back will work on the passenger side as well. We've had a lot of boosters, but unfortunately I just can't remember what for sure I've tried back there.

Yes, I did use the AA with the Radian. My husband needs to put his seat pretty far back, and we needed the extra space. The drivers seat doesn't slide back completely, but he could get it back enough to drive safely/comfortably.

Congrats on your new cars! :D

Meg

Thanks! :D I was kind of hoping to fit a FR 85 or 90 in the middle and puzzle a RF convertible behind the driver.. but it sounds like that won't happen. :eek:

Also, a few of you mentioned boosters not fitting or being a PITA in certain seats... Why is that? I'm new to the world of bolstering, but I thought boosters were so easy because you just plunked them down and you were good to go? :confused:

VoodooChile

In the 3rd row passenger side (in my 2006), the buckle stalk is fixed and angled. The TB sat almost on top of it, not quite, and I had a devil of a time getting the right angle. Not a combo I'm likely to repeat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC