New seat for DS

jdchic3

So, now that we've heard from the Recaro tech... I'm very much ready for a new seat for DS. I'm sick of carrying him around in his bucket (SnugRide in lotus). I'm one of those people who likes to really think things over so I'm hoping you guys can give me some opinions and then I'll probably post somethings again later when I've thought more and am much closer to a decision.

So, DS will be six months on the 28, is somewhere between 14 and 15 pounds, not sure about torso height, (will actually be a couple of days until I can do that because it's hard to measure without help since he cant sit up but his shoulders are just above the top slots in his SnugRide) and is around 26 inches long.

I'm concerned about him being extra safe as he is passenger side outboard in our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee and is still such a little guy. (DD is outboard drivers side and is in a MA but in hindsight I wish I had gotten a BV). So what seat will be super comfortable for my little guy but offer him the most protection. I'm open to most anything but am mostly considering the Britax MA/BV/DC or the Recaro Como/Signo.

Help!!!

ADS

djma

I would vote for the Blvd. My DS2 would never go for the side wings - but I really wish he would because he has to be outboard in our van.

Good luck!

jdchic3

That's sort of the direction I think I'm going at this point. I would love to think all this Recaro stuff could be worked out so he could have a 'racing' seat. I guess I just don't see everything getting settled for a while. :(

steph

I would lean towards the BV. Mainly because it seems like there are some dislikes to the Recaro seats and personally I like the rf tether. If the rf tether isn't important to you than I think either a BV or one of the Recaros would be fine.

jdchic3

I'm not completely opposed to the Recaro as long as the 34" thing gets figured out first. I mean, it's tested to work without the tether so the no RF tether is ok with me, although it would of course be a plus if they eventually do that. There is a b&m store near here that is supposed to be getting the Como and the Signo when it comes out.

jdchic3

SInce I love Britax so much, and have already had them, I may just end up going that route, but I'm still open which is why I posted this thread! ;)

jdchic3

Ok. Measured DS and his torso is approximately 12". He is sleeping on me on his side so I was able to get a general measurement.

Also, do the new Recaros allow for bracing?

racesmom

Senior Community Member
I'd go with a BLVD if you want to buy now. There's just too much going on with the Recaros right now. The 34" thing is crazy! If they work it all out (to our liking) then you could sell the Blvd for a Recaro if you want the higher weight/FF height.

jdchic3

Well DS still has somewhere around three inches of shell above his head, so even though the bucket is super heavy and is driving me nuts, I do have time. I'm also holding out for new Britax fashions (crosses fingers).

Sidebar: Does everyone think DD is ok in her MA outboard in the same vehicle? Or should I have gotten her a different seat too? She is 2.5 years and 27 lbs.

ZephyrBlue

A retailer who spoke to the CEO of Recaro this weekend said that she was told by the CEO that the seat was only tested to 34" RF :( I dunno, I think they're going to be really good seats, once all the kinks straightened out. Right now, there are too many questionable issues for us. I'm returning our Como and ordered a BLVD from Baby Center this morning. Good luck choosing! :)

jdchic3

A retailer who spoke to the CEO of Recaro this weekend said that she was told by the CEO that the seat was only tested to 34" RF :( I dunno, I think they're going to be really good seats, once all the kinks straightened out. Right now, there are too many questionable issues for us. I'm returning our Como and ordered a BLVD from Baby Center this morning. Good luck choosing! :)

I read that thread. There are just a lot of conflicting statements from them right now. My hope is that it'll get figured out before the Signo comes out. I'm thinking it'll be between the BV and the Signo.

ZephyrBlue

I read that thread. There are just a lot of conflicting statements from them right now. My hope is that it'll get figured out before the Signo comes out. I'm thinking it'll be between the BV and the Signo.

Paul from Recaro told me yesterday that the Signos are still stuck in US Customs, but they hope to have them delivered to the warehouse and ready to ship out immediately from there by the end of September. When I asked him about the RF max height for the Signo, he said it would be worded basically the same in the manual- but that the child's head could go up a little further because of the headrest design BUT that it wasn't tested with a different dummy than the Como was :confused: So I'm not at all sure that anything will change w/the Signo. I hope it does- I'd love to get a Signo and have the BLVD for a spare, but like you said, there is just too much conflicting info right now, and I didn't want to miss the Britax sale. If you have time to wait and see, that's awesome! :thumbsup:

jdchic3

Yeah. I guess I'm just worried that they're actually going to say that you can use those seats until 1" from the top. From what we've heard so far it seems pretty highly unlikely. I guess I just keep going back and forth. I'm such a terrible decision maker!

jdchic3

Ok. Have decided that I really want a Recaro, but I know the twisty straps would drive me NUTS. My Graco straps do, but I love my Britax ones. SOOOO...I'm going to go with the Boulevard. If I get it this week though then if they come out with a new fashion I can get a new cover later and still spend only like $10 more than a full-priced seat!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC