mazda 6 and mitsubishi galant

mybabybean

Need thoughts/experience with 2 particular vehicles and car seats. I am going tomorrow to look at a 2004 mitsubishi galant and a 2008 mazda 6. Anyone installed seats in either of these? Also does anyone know the LATCH limits on either?

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I don't have experience with either of those models but can provide LATCH info. for them from the LATCH manual. Ideally you'll try out your carseats before making a purchase decision.

According to the 2013 LATCH manual, Mazda does not specify a weight limit for LATCH installation, so you'll need to abide by the carseat manufacturer's instructions for LATCH weight limits in the 6. If you're also wondering about allowability of using lower LATCH anchors to install in the center, 2003-2013 Madza6 sedans and 2004-2008 Mazda6 hatchback/wagons allow you to "borrow" the innermost lower LATCH anchors from each outboard dedicated set of LATCH to install in the center if the carseat manufacturer also allows borrowing with 18.3 inch (466 mm) spacing between the borrowed lower LATCH anchors in the 6.

Mitsubishi models have LATCH installation weight limits of 65 lbs. total combined weight of the child plus the weight of the carseat and do not allow borrowing outboard lower LATCH anchors to do a center LATCH install.

Happy car shopping! :)

mybabybean

Thanks!
Do you know if Britax or Harmony allow LATCH borrowing?
The Frontier manual says up to 20in of space. I am not currently using LATCH on that seat but it would be good to know. Also I can not find the weight limit on that seat for LATCH. All I can find is refer to your vehicle owners manual.
The Defender manual does not say anything about LATCH spacing?? I believe although I can not currently find it in the manual, that it does have a LATCH weight limit of 46lbs. Is that correct? I may have read it on the side of the seat.
One final question, do you know the vehicle headrest requirements when using top tether FF in those vehicles? I know my current vehicle requires the head rest be removed when using top tether.

KaiLing

Weight limit for using LATCH on Frontier in Mazda is 40 lbs of child. You'll find that in the first few pages of the Frontier manual, under the 'warnings'. It says something like "follow car manufacturer's instructions. If none are given, assume 40 lbs".

Jeanum

Staff member
Head restraints and top tether routing details aren't indicated for LATCH equipped Galants or Mazda6 models in the LATCH manual. This doesn't necessarily mean these cars don't have specific top tether strap routing requirements in their owner's manuals, though, so you're going to have to double check on that in their manuals to make sure.

Harmony models are not listed in the LATCH manual so I can't post any details about center LATCH or LATCH limits or the carseat's weight by itself for the Defender (it's probably so new that it missed the cutoff for press time for the 2013 LATCH manual).:eek: So you'll need to abide by whatever it states in the Defender manual/labeling regarding LATCH installs, and conservatively assume a limit of 40 lbs. for LATCH installs in the Mazda and assume that center LATCH isn't allowed if the LATCH weight limit and center LATCH allowability is not expressly stated otherwise in the Defender manual/labeling. You can probably find out the Defender's weight on its manufacturer's website to back out its LATCH install limit for the Mitsubishi (65 lbs. total combined weight of your child plus weight of the carseat).

Britax states to assume a 40 lb. lower LATCH anchor install limit if the car manufacturer does not state a numerical limit, as is the case for Mazda models. For abiding by Mitsubishi's LATCH limit of 65 lbs. combined total of the child's weight plus weight of the carseat, the Frontier85 itself weighs 20 lb. according the LATCH manual, allowing use of LATCH until your child weighs 45 lbs. (65-20=45), and you would back out the limit for using the Defender with LATCH in the same manner for the Mitsubishi using the weight of the Defender subtracted from 65 lbs.

Has LATCH got your head spinning as much as mine at this point? So convoluted for a system that was in theory supposed to be simpler, and instead has become even more hugely complicated to sort out in actual practice. :eek: :( Honestly I'd go straight to trying out seatbelt installs in any of these cars you're considering as you're ultimately going to need to install that way at some point any way whenever the LATCH limit is reached depending on these messy LATCH limits and rules, KWIM?

mybabybean

OK wow yes you have my head spinning! :dizzy:
I ended up buying the Mitsubishi Galant. So if I am sorting all this out correctly, the Defender weighs 20lbs, the combined limit is 65, so I can use LATCH till she weighs 45lbs(assuming the seat allows it)? Same for the Frontier since it also weighs 20lbs? I can do a seat belt install but I hate to if I don't have to! She only weighs 35lbs right now. Oh, and the guy demonstrated how to install a car seat with the locking seat belts, which I knew, but not something a vehicle seller usually shows you.
Also fyi, the vehicle head rests are built in so no question on that now, although I know this will probably mean only HBBs in that car! :rolleyes:

Jeanum

Staff member
Congrats on your new wheels! :)If the Defender's manual doesn't specify a lower LATCH anchor installation weight limit than 45 lbs., and if the Defender weighs 20 lbs. in and of itself, then yes, you're allowed to use LATCH to install it in the Galant until she reaches 45 lbs. (same as the Frontier85 in harnessed mode).

mybabybean

Congrats on your new wheels! :)If the Defender's manual doesn't specify a lower LATCH anchor installation weight limit than 45 lbs., and if the Defender weighs 20 lbs. in and of itself, then yes, you're allowed to use LATCH to install it in the Galant until she reaches 45 lbs. (same as the Frontier85 in harnessed mode).

Thanks you have been super helpful, but apparently I can not give you more rep so just thanks for now.:)
Actually, looks like the defender weighs a little less than 20, but I will stick with 20 to be safe. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=238353

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC