Where to put seats in a Mazda 5?

Jakesmama

My 10yo ds's dad brought up that he isn't really comfortable having ds in the far back of my Mazda - that this position has terrible survival rates in a crash. Ds is in a lbb (TB) and I have 2 other kids - dd1 -5yo, in a CA65 and dd2 - 3mo, in a RN xtsl.

Who would be safest in the back? Ds because he's oldest, dd1 because she's in a giant seat or dd2 because of the RN's steel frame?

I've never thought about this before! He brought it up because I asked that he use ds's TB for every ride and I think he's feeling a little defensive - which was not my intention. He said he never says anything about the seating position because I'm the parent and it's my decision but I responded that I LOVE getting more info about car safety (and that he needs to have ds use his booster even if he disagrees with it).

Thanks!!

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Howdy, that's a good question!

I'm not sure that the 'terrible survival rates in a crash' is accurate. Mazda 5 is fairly new, and I'm not aware of any actual crash test statistics that involve that vehicle and 3rd row passengers. (Although if it exists I hope someone shares it with me!)

Statistically a frontal or frontal offset crash is more likely, which would mean the 3rd row child would be FURTHER from the crashes that are most likely and at the highest speeds.

However, it is also true that a child in the 3rd row is closer to the rear of the vehicle in that particular car as opposed to a giant SUV that then has a large space for cargo.

So it's not unreasonable to consider what might be safest.

When deciding where to put kids in the 2nd row, we recommend the last protected child in the most protected position. So if you have a booster rider and a harnessed FF child and a RF child, having the booster rider in the middle might be suggested.

You could consider applying that to this scenario.

Are there 3 seatbelts in the 3rd row?

nataliem257

Howdy, that's a good question!

I'm not sure that the 'terrible survival rates in a crash' is accurate. Mazda 5 is fairly new, and I'm not aware of any actual crash test statistics that involve that vehicle and 3rd row passengers. (Although if it exists I hope someone shares it with me!)

Statistically a frontal or frontal offset crash is more likely, which would mean the 3rd row child would be FURTHER from the crashes that are most likely and at the highest speeds.

However, it is also true that a child in the 3rd row is closer to the rear of the vehicle in that particular car as opposed to a giant SUV that then has a large space for cargo.

So it's not unreasonable to consider what might be safest.

When deciding where to put kids in the 2nd row, we recommend the last protected child in the most protected position. So if you have a booster rider and a harnessed FF child and a RF child, having the booster rider in the middle might be suggested.

You could consider applying that to this scenario.

Are there 3 seatbelts in the 3rd row?

^^^ This. As far as I know no safety ratings have been posted for a Mazda 5 of any kind, and I've looked, because I drive one. I agree with everything she said, he's probably making a general statement about the 3rd row being too close to the crumple zone in a rear ending, and some are IMO (the 3rd row seat in the RAV4 comes to mind). I routinely put both of my children (4 and 10 months) in the back, in addition to both of my 5 stepping step children (9 and 10). There is enough space between the hatch and the seats for me to be comfortable. And as the previous post said, kids in the 2nd row could be more at risk for injury in a head on collision because they're closer to the front of the car (rear endings are rarely serious). Since there are no middle positions (6 seats only), I see no logical reason to make one seat significantly more or less safe than the next. What I do see that it is much more practical to have your booster rider in the back since he can buckle himself in, because getting to the 3rd row is a pain!

Jakesmama

Thank you! This is exactly what I was thinking too. I think x might be bringing it up to counter my request that ds be in a booster (which I've always provided but recently learned isn't used sometimes).

He stated that the 3rd row has no airbags (it does) and that the survival rates are terrible in this particular vehicle (which doesn't have any crash test data yet). I've spent the morning looking at 3rd row safety and found nothing that backs up this idea, especially because, yes, the incidence of rear collisions at high speeds are much less frequent than frontal or side impact crashes.

He's making this a parenting-style issue when it's really just about what's safest. I want to be fair, however, and make sure I've considered all the safety implications before dismissing it, yk?

CTPDMom

Makes perfect sense. And when you're co-parenting with an ex, I think it's almost MORE important. To be sure you're not letting feelings get in the way. I have a blended family, so I understand this can be challenging! :)

If your side curtain airbags reach to the 3rd row, that's great. That would be another point that I didn't mention earlier, if you don't have curtain air bags in the 3rd row but do in the 2nd.

Dillipop

I have my 2.5 year old in the 3rd row of my Mazda5. She's rearfacing in a roundabout 50. I load her through the hatch.

Besides logistics, one of the reasons I am keeping her in the 3rd row is that she is the furthest from a rear impact crash than either of my older kids would be. Her head is at least a foot further from the rear than my boys' heads would be in a ffing seat and a booster.

I'm not concerned about any kid in the 3rd row but looking at it this way does give me a little more sense of calm about a possible rear end collision.

Jakesmama

Ah, yes, co-parenting is tricky! Approaching him with less emotion and just the facts - I actually waited a few days to say anything because I was pretty upset. That's my kid! lol Ex is countering that his car is the safest ever made and so my argument for proper seating is invalid. Working hard to keep my cool and stay receptive to his concerns but ds's safety is NOT up for negotiation.

The 5 does have side curtain airbags all the way back so that's a another point for the boostered kid in the back.

I can't hatch load right now because ds bent my lift gate strut awhile back. If I could I would more readily consider the 5 yo back there but probably not the rfing infant - not because of safety but because that just feels really far away from me!

Yes, Bree! I saw that article during my mad dash for research this morning. I know that I looked into all of this before buying the van but it's been a few years and it's probably a good idea to refresh every now and then. I wouldn't have bought a vehicle known for having "terrible survival rates" and it irks me that he's whipping out opinion like it's facts. But that's my anal retentive researcher side showing! :p

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
As inconvenient as it might be, the trade off of having the leverage of doing what ex wants in moving him out of the 3rd row to convince ex to do what you want by always using a booster would be worth the hassle.

Jakesmama

safeinthecar- yes, if it were safer for dd1 to be in the 3rd row I would definitely do it but I'm finding that it's really just a matter of safer in what kind of crash, really. He didn't ask me to move ds just said that he's uncomfortable with him sitting in the 3rd row but he doesn't say anything just as I should keep my opinions about boostering to myself when it is his car.

If I had found some concrete evidence that one of the other kids would be safer than ds in the back then I would switch them. All ex is trying to say is that it should be his call when ds rides with him. Well, it's not.

amyd

I am now considering putting the Monterey back in my car though. Would that make a big safety difference compared to the TB?

Like Coleen says, there's no way to know for sure, but please post back if you get it to work back there. I'm having a hard time getting our Monterey to work in the third row of my 5.

Jakesmama

That's probbly why he's in the tb in the 3rd row then. He used to ride in the 2nd row (before the baby) in the Monterey. If I remember correctly now it was too large for the 3rd row.

amyd

That's probbly why he's in the tb in the 3rd row then. He used to ride in the 2nd row (before the baby) in the Monterey. If I remember correctly now it was too large for the 3rd row.

My issue isn't the size...it fits just fine. It's that the shoulder belt won't retract in the guide.

Jakesmama

Hmmm, maybe I'll go try it in there today. I know there was a reason we switched out when he moved to the back - other than the convenience of the nbb. Also, ds doesn't like riding in the Monterey because it's too much like a car seat. :rolleyes:

Jakesmama

Okay, so I put it back there and I see the problem with the belt retracting. I really have to monkey with it to get the belt to move - that would be a problem in a crash, right? Like even if ds got the belt fit snug each ride, in a crash it may not work?

Btw, ds is 57" and weighs 87#

amyd

Okay, so I put it back there and I see the problem with the belt retracting. I really have to monkey with it to get the belt to move - that would be a problem in a crash, right? Like even if ds got the belt fit snug each ride, in a crash it may not work?

Btw, ds is 57" and weighs 87#

My issue is that if DS leans forward or sideways or whatever, when he sits back, the belt doesn't retract back so he's sitting in a loose belt.

CTPDMom

If the belt won't retract on its own, you have to be hyper vigilant to be sure ds was manually feeding it through and that it was retracting before every ride. Otherwise, there would be slack in the belt and, yes, that could be an issue in a crash.

ETA: Amy and I cross posted, and she's right...during the ride becomes an issue as well!

When I got our Monterey, it was the red belt guides which had recently been redesigned. My ds was not at all able to get the belt to retract, I had to do it manually. (Ds was 6, close to 7 at the time.) I was sent one with the newest belt guides, but that did not fix the entire problem although it was somewhat better. Diono's CPST told me it was fine to use the Monterey without the belt being threaded through the guide IF THERE WAS STILL GOOD BELT FIT WITHOUT. If the belt is too far away from the child (if the retractor is forward of the seat) or doesn't lay on the shoulder halfway between, then it's a no go. But if you DO get a good belt fit without, that is something to consider. I would encourage you to call Diono and confirm that they are still recommending this prior to using the seat that way, as it is not specific anywhere in the manual that you can do this. Just another possible option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC